Medscape epidural article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Ice

Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
i saw this.

mirrors the ortho literature for hip and knee replacements and steroid injections

retrospective review of studies. more of a metaanalysis, so subject to bias.

should prompt someone to do a prospective blinded study to see if sham injections actually also increase risk of infection.

Members don't see this ad :)

should prompt someone to do a prospective blinded study to see if sham injections actually also increase risk of infection.
seems like that wouldnt pass an IRB

But perioperative dexamethasone right around surgery doesn't do diddly? All that Dex 4-8 mg for PONV treatment must not matter.

Still, I'm happy for the surgeon to wait a little longer in case the surgery isn't indicated.

But perioperative dexamethasone right around surgery doesn't do diddly? All that Dex 4-8 mg for PONV treatment must not matter.

Still, I'm happy for the surgeon to wait a little longer in case the surgery isn't indicated.
this will give them a reason to not refer for an ESI before a lami, discectomy, or fusion

this will give them a reason to not refer for an ESI before a lami, discectomy, or fusion
Oh no, surgeons would never want to jump straight to surgery for a non-indicated and irreversible surgery that could be treat conservatively.

yes maybe it is the local application of steroids that increases infection rate.

hence the need to really study it

Exactly. a retrospective meta analysis doesn’t mean anything except an extra publication for the authors.

Reactions: 2 users