You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MedTech to Doctor possible?
Started by SRK85
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Yes it is. A buddy of mine, who is now a MSIII, was a med tech. He went through engineering school (Chem Eng) and got a masters (Chem). He worked to pay his bills by being a tech. He didn't have a pre-med program either, and he ended up taking his bio requirements at another school.SRK85 said:Hello, I am currently a medtech student interested in becoming a doctor? Is it possible for a medtech student to go to medschool. My college has no pre-med programs. Anyone have any answers thanks.
While his situation is different than your's sounds, my point is that it's possible. What I'd do in your situation is explore other local universities. Most urban universities have biology programs that have pre-med support - there's lots of folks like you doing career changes. See if you can change programs. At the same time, look for clinical opportunities in your area (you can probably ask your profs for this, being in med tech school). Make sure this is what you want to do. It's a long road, and it's pretty costly to jump ship halfway. Browse through the forums for more information.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know a few who have done this. If you'll finish your med tech degree soon, just make sure you take the medical school prerequisites ( 1 year of chemistry, biology, physics, organic chemistry - all with lab). You can do these either piece-meal at your local college or via a formal premed postbac program (a bit more pricey). After that, take the MCAT, and your application is as good as any. Make sure you have ample volunteer/clinical exposure. It's pretty much expected. In the end, your med tech license will be a good way to earn extra cash while in medical school and you'll really appreciate lab tests from the clinical laboratory perspective. Good luck!!SRK85 said:Hello, I am currently a medtech student interested in becoming a doctor? Is it possible for a medtech student to go to medschool. My college has no pre-med programs. Anyone have any answers thanks.
Thanks im trying to get some hospital expereience but its hard theres not a lot of hospitals in my area.Scottish Chap said:I know a few who have done this. If you'll finish your med tech degree soon, just make sure you take the medical school prerequisites ( 1 year of chemistry, biology, physics, organic chemistry - all with lab). You can do these either piece-meal at your local college or via a formal premed postbac program (a bit more pricey). After that, take the MCAT, and your application is as good as any. Make sure you have ample volunteer/clinical exposure. It's pretty much expected. In the end, your med tech license will be a good way to earn extra cash while in medical school and you'll really appreciate lab tests from the clinical laboratory perpective. Good luck!!
SRK85 said:Thanks im trying to get some hospital expereience but its hard theres not a lot of hospitals in my area.
Volunteer experience doesn't have to be in a hospital. Try looking up free community clinics, hospices, private practices, or even retirement homes. Any place that gives you exposure to patients will work.
I have been a Medical Technologist for the past 5 years. I will start my first year of medical school this August. I can tell you that my experience was working in a hospital based lab. The doctors I interviewed me thought that my experiences in the lab along with my exposure to medicine through med tech courses was going to be extremely helpful in medical school. The med tech courses in Clinical Chemistry, Immunology, Immunohematology (blood bank), Parasitology, Hematology, Urinalysis, Bacteriology, etc. will be covered in medical school and you will have at least seen most (if not all) of the information covered.
Hope this helps. Like previously mentioned dont forget about Organic and Physics.
Hope this helps. Like previously mentioned dont forget about Organic and Physics.
Ok physics yikes im not the greatest when it comes to physics, oh well I can only do my best and hope for the best. Also what about biotech or nutritional sciences a good major for becoming a doctor im trying to transfer out.hunter1077 said:I have been a Medical Technologist for the past 5 years. I will start my first year of medical school this August. I can tell you that my experience was working in a hospital based lab. The doctors I interviewed me thought that my experiences in the lab along with my exposure to medicine through med tech courses was going to be extremely helpful in medical school. The med tech courses in Clinical Chemistry, Immunology, Immunohematology (blood bank), Parasitology, Hematology, Urinalysis, Bacteriology, etc. will be covered in medical school and you will have at least seen most (if not all) of the information covered.
Hope this helps. Like previously mentioned dont forget about Organic and Physics.
I'm a med tech, too, and I will be starting med school this fall. Every time anyone asked me about my background during interviews it was always extremely positive. I have a family, so being a med tech I will be able to pick up a few hours on weekends to help pick up some of the extra costs. Good luck!
finallyotwup
New Member
How was medical school for you?I have been a Medical Technologist for the past 5 years. I will start my first year of medical school this August. I can tell you that my experience was working in a hospital based lab. The doctors I interviewed me thought that my experiences in the lab along with my exposure to medicine through med tech courses was going to be extremely helpful in medical school. The med tech courses in Clinical Chemistry, Immunology, Immunohematology (blood bank), Parasitology, Hematology, Urinalysis, Bacteriology, etc. will be covered in medical school and you will have at least seen most (if not all) of the information covered.
Hope this helps. Like previously mentioned dont forget about Organic and Physics.
Did you notice that you necro bumped a post from 15 years ago?How was medical school for you?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 1K