Meeting with a DO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've managed to set up a meeting with a DO at the Children's Hospital where I work. He's in the department I'm interested in as a career (Anesthesia). So, since I dont know him really well, and am relatively well versed in Osteopathic medicine being as excited about it as I am, does anyone have any questions they wish they would have talked to someone about? Or better yet - do you have questions that you were really interested in knowing something about?

I just want to make sure I ask all the questions I should. Again, I know about the history and philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine - so I dont really mean questions like that.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

2bkiddoc said:
Hey everyone,

I've managed to set up a meeting with a DO at the Children's Hospital where I work. He's in the department I'm interested in as a career (Anesthesia). So, since I dont know him really well, and am relatively well versed in Osteopathic medicine being as excited about it as I am, does anyone have any questions they wish they would have talked to someone about? Or better yet - do you have questions that you were really interested in knowing something about?

I just want to make sure I ask all the questions I should. Again, I know about the history and philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine - so I dont really mean questions like that.

Thanks for your help!

Just share your passion for osteopathic medicine, and just see where the conversation leads. Ask him what his life is like, how happy he is with his specialty, and what advice he has for you since he has been through everything you're about to go through.

2bkiddoc said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help!

Ask him this question, "if he had to do it all over again, would he have chosen the D.O route or the M.D route?" Also ask if he has faced any difficulties because of having a D.O title, please let me know what he says.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask him about life questions too. The DO I shadowed had worked in many different situations (rural clinic, making house calls, developmental centers), so he had a lot of interesting stories...if your guy isn't much of a storyteller, at least ask about family life, financing school, etc. Take advantage to get to know as much as you can about osteopathic medicine that you can't read from a college website or handbook.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for writing back. Those are all wonderful suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm meeting with him tomorrow sometime depending on his OR schedule for emergency cases.

Thanks again!

Find out how he feels his osteopathic training has helped or hindered him in becoming an Anesthesiologist.