***Meharry Medical College Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey!
I'm in the Behavioral Sciences and Health Education program, and my focus is Health Education.

Hello fellow Emory person:D I completed my undergrad. at Emory. What was your focus at Rollins?

R~

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow Emory person:D I completed my undergrad. at Emory. What was your focus at Rollins?

R~

WOW - 3 Emory alum attending MMC!!!! Hey R - I went to RSPH too; however, I graduated back in 03.

WOW - 3 Emory alum attending MMC!!!! Hey R - I went to RSPH too; however, I graduated back in 03.

:thumbup: That is interesting:thumbup: When are all of you moving to Nashville? One place I interviewed at said you should move a month before school starts.

R~

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: That is interesting:thumbup: When are all of you moving to Nashville? One place I interviewed at said you should move a month before school starts.

R~

A month? :eek: With zero personal savings :oops: , if I quit my job and moved a month before school starts, I'd be completely broke by the time classes begin. This might lead to other undesirable consequences. For instance, my landlord in Nashville will probably end up ejecting me for no payment of rent and report me to the adcoms who will perhaps promptly revoke my acceptance. :scared:

R~

Why did they say a whole month? I'd be bored out of my mind!:thumbdown: I was thinking about 2 weeks; one to move all my stuff down (which probably won't take the whole week anyway) and one to settle in and learn the city before school starts. :cool:

A month? :eek: With zero personal savings :oops: , if I quit my job and moved a month before school starts, I'd be completely broke by the time classes begin. This might lead to other undesirable consequences. For instance, my landlord in Nashville will probably end up ejecting me for no payment of rent and report me to the adcoms who will perhaps promptly revoke my acceptance. :scared:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One month is a long time, I was thinking 2 weeks like prettymd said. Maybe we can all get together before school starts and have a potluck :D I'll bring the plastic plates...lol.
On another note, I'm a little stressed because I just found out that I have 1 week to make a final decision :eek: :eek: :eek: I loved MMC but I also loved the other school...I am just going to pray on it and hope the Lord makes my decision a little more clear.

I hope you guys had a Happy Easter!!!

Is anyone interviewing at MMC on April 16th?

Yeah, it is tough to decide between two schools. I had to do it. What I ended up doing was making a pros and cons list, and see which was longer. What other school are you trying to decide about? I have to send in my 300.00 deposit to MMC, but if I withdraw before the 15th of may, they will at least give me 200.00 of it back and that is really nice. PCOM required that I send in 2000.00 by this Friday, and NON of it is refundable (OUCH!$#@$)

R~
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One month is a long time, I was thinking 2 weeks like prettymd said. Maybe we can all get together before school starts and have a potluck :D I'll bring the plastic plates...lol.
On another note, I'm a little stressed because I just found out that I have 1 week to make a final decision :eek: :eek: :eek: I loved MMC but I also loved the other school...I am just going to pray on it and hope the Lord makes my decision a little more clear.

I hope you guys had a Happy Easter!!!

Yeah, it is tough to decide between two schools. I had to do it. What I ended up doing was making a pros and cons list, and see which was longer. What other school are you trying to decide about? I have to send in my 300.00 deposit to MMC, but if I withdraw before the 15th of may, they will at least give me 200.00 of it back and that is really nice. PCOM required that I send in 2000.00 by this Friday, and NON of it is refundable (OUCH!$#@$)

R~

Hey Rumple! That is a great idea, I am currently in the process of doing that based on several categories. So did you choose the school with more pros or the one with less cons? I am trying to decide between my state school and MMC. My state school is about 3x cheaper but I just felt like I would be happier at MMC for some reason and everyone was so nice. There was a random guy who helped me carry my luggage and guided me to where we had to be on my interview day, so I was set with good impressions from the beginning. I know I will have a good support system there. Plus, whats a few thousand bucks...haha :)
I see you have a tough decision as well, I sent in my $300 already, which was about a month ago because I really have no clue where I want to go and I didn't want to give up my spot at MMC. It was hard to let the $300 go..hehe. Hey..when did you interview? One of the fellow interviewees during my interview (on 1/12) had just finished an interview at PCOM.

I interviewed back in December, and got accepted before the New Year, so a lot of stress was taken off me for the rest of the cycle:thumbup: I am really blessed because I sent in all my applications REALLY late...like before the deadlines of when everything was due---and I got interviews from almost everywhere that I applied to and I applied to 12 schools (my premed advisor told me no one would accept me, go figure.)

I had to send in 250.00 for PCOM back in January.
However, I am still waiting to hear back from my state school. I interviewed there mid-march and still waiting to hear the decision. Of course if I get in there I will go because I already have a scholarship to go there for free:cool: besides the fact that instate tuition is only 12,000 a year while everywhere else is around 36,000. It also is a great school. It is my number one choice so if I get in I will go, if not I will go to Meharry. Looking at my list, Meharry had the most pros and the least cons. However, for some reason I dont want to withdraw my acceptance from PCOM:laugh: I guess I am being selfish for holding the spot when I know I am going to go somewhere else:p

Hey Rumple! That is a great idea, I am currently in the process of doing that based on several categories. So did you choose the school with more pros or the one with less cons? I am trying to decide between my state school and MMC. My state school is about 3x cheaper but I just felt like I would be happier at MMC for some reason and everyone was so nice. There was a random guy who helped me carry my luggage and guided me to where we had to be on my interview day, so I was set with good impressions from the beginning. I know I will have a good support system there. Plus, whats a few thousand bucks...haha :)
I see you have a tough decision as well, I sent in my $300 already, which was about a month ago because I really have no clue where I want to go and I didn't want to give up my spot at MMC. It was hard to let the $300 go..hehe. Hey..when did you interview? One of the fellow interviewees during my interview (on 1/12) had just finished an interview at PCOM.

I interviewed back in December, and got accepted before the New Year, so a lot of stress was taken off me for the rest of the cycle:thumbup: I am really blessed because I sent in all my applications REALLY late...like before the deadlines of when everything was due---and I got interviews from almost everywhere that I applied to and I applied to 12 schools (my premed advisor told me no one would accept me, go figure.)

I had to send in 250.00 for PCOM back in January.
However, I am still waiting to hear back from my state school. I interviewed there mid-march and still waiting to hear the decision. Of course if I get in there I will go because I already have a scholarship to go there for free:cool: besides the fact that instate tuition is only 12,000 a year while everywhere else is around 36,000. It also is a great school. It is my number one choice so if I get in I will go, if not I will go to Meharry. Looking at my list, Meharry had the most pros and the least cons. However, for some reason I dont want to withdraw my acceptance from PCOM:laugh: I guess I am being selfish for holding the spot when I know I am going to go somewhere else:p

Well, I interviewed in Jan so I guess it wasn't you :oops:
Don't you hate with premed advisors do that, I applaud you for your success and your determination to succeed :)
Best of luck with your state school, if you interviewed in mid- march, you are still in a good running for acceptance so keep the hope alive. And I totally understand wanting to hold multiple spots..haha, I planned to hold mine until the start of May when I would have time to think things out but my state school gave me a deadline :eek: because they start before 7/30.

Does anyone know if there are still slots left for Meharry? I still haven't heard from them at ALL.

R~

Nobody follow in my foot steps, but I'm not going to be up in Nashville until a week before orientation. I'm waiting out as long as possible in case I get pulled off one of my waitlists. I can only wait and see. Has anybody found any month to month apartments for rent/lease? I don't want a long term lease because we'll be buying a house in July/August once my husband comes up to Nashville. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is going to be what I do also;-)Give my state school some time to come to their senses and accept me;-)

Nobody follow in my foot steps, but I'm not going to be up in Nashville until a week before orientation. I'm waiting out as long as possible in case I get pulled off one of my waitlists. I can only wait and see. Has anybody found any month to month apartments for rent/lease? I don't want a long term lease because we'll be buying a house in July/August once my husband comes up to Nashville. :D

Is anyone interviewing at MMC on April 16th?

You'd be better off asking this question on the pre-allo forum. You probably won't get the kind of response you're looking for here. Most people (if not everyone) actively posting on this thread are MS-0.5s (i.e. are holding acceptances already). This is the forum for Meharry's entering class of 2011.

Why did they say a whole month? I'd be bored out of my mind!:thumbdown: I was thinking about 2 weeks; one to move all my stuff down (which probably won't take the whole week anyway) and one to settle in and learn the city before school starts. :cool:

Nobody should expect me in Nashville until the night before school starts. ;)

In fact, I'll probably move into town the first day of class and leave my Uhaul outside the lecture hall. That way, after classes, I can recruit some of you to help me offload my stuff from the truck to my apartment. :)

:D

In fact, I'll probably move into town the first day of class and leave my Uhaul outside the lecture hall. That way, after classes, I can recruit some of you to help me offload my stuff from the truck to my apartment. :)

lol, good luck with that.

HAHAHAHA! That's funny.

You'd be better off asking this question on the pre-allo forum. You probably won't get the kind of response you're looking for here. Most people (if not everyone) actively posting on this thread are MS-0.5s (i.e. are holding acceptances already). This is the forum for Meharry's entering class of 2011.

MS-0.5s that's cute. I like :)

I just got an interview to Meharry for April 30th.....Do you think it is for a waitlist spot. It seems so late....

I just got an interview to Meharry for April 30th.....Do you think it is for a waitlist spot. It seems so late....

More than likely. But I honestly don't think they'd be wasting your time or theirs inviting you over for an interveiw if they thought you had absolutely no chance of getting in. I encourage you to go to your appointment like you're interviewing for the very last spot. In all, good luck!

Everyone. I just wanted to say that my fiancee and I are pulling out of Meharry, so that is 2 spots open. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!!

Everyone. I just wanted to say that my fiancee and I are pulling out of Meharry, so that is 2 spots open. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!!

Did you guys also get the email telling you to commit by April 30? Does you decision has anything to do with this email? Where are you guys going instead?

yeah, I got the e-mail, but the decision wasn't based on that.

DoctaJay...NO!!!! Where are you and your financee now attending? That must have been a difficult decision...does it have to do with starting school so early and you are getting married in July? We will miss you but wish you the best for both you and your bride-to-be! :D :luck:

DoctaJay...NO!!!! Where are you and your financee now attending? That must have been a difficult decision...does it have to do with starting school so early and you are getting married in July? We will miss you but wish you the best for both you and your bride-to-be! :D :luck:

[Well, let me take the liberty of answering this question for Jay :smuggrin: ]

On his blog he said he's headed to Loma Linda with his fiancee.

Thanks GuzzyRon. Yeah, I'm sad that I won't be able to go to school with you all, but I truly believe that the Lord is leading us to LLU. Anyway, I hope to see you all that next year's SNMA meeting!

Thanks GuzzyRon. Yeah, I'm sad that I won't be able to go to school with you all, but I truly believe that the Lord is leading us to LLU. Anyway, I hope to see you all that next year's SNMA meeting!

Thanks Guzzy!

Congrats to both you and your fiancee Jay!!! That is wonderful news and I'm glad that the Lord was able to answer your prayers early on. It must be such a relief and a blessing. When does school start at LLU?

Hey guys! I inteviewed at MMC about a week ago. Can anyone tell me what the MAPS program is about? What are the classes you take? Is it relaxed or pretty intense? Any input would be appreciated it. I'll post this in the accepted MMC forum as well. Thanks!

Hey guys! I inteviewed at MMC about a week ago. Can anyone tell me what the MAPS program is about? What are the classes you take? Is it relaxed or pretty intense? Any input would be appreciated it. I'll post this in the accepted MMC forum as well. Thanks!

Not sure if you saw the reply in the waitlisted forum, but it starts in the middle of June and it is required of all students. You'll take half the course load to ease your way into the life of a med student. If I'm not mistaken, you start biochem and gross anatomy.

So I got my award letter this week and it SUCKS!! All they gave me was 50K worth of loans. Medical schools don't give grants to students, scholarships, etc.?

One of the people I interviewed with said one of the biggest problems with Meharry students is that they start off wanting to do primary care, but towards the end of their 4 years they decide to specialize and go into a field that makes a lot of money. Sheesh, no wonder a lot of people do not go into primary care. Ending with over 200,000 in debt, u will be paying your loans off forever!!:p :rolleyes:

So I got my award letter this week and it SUCKS!! All they gave me was 50K worth of loans. Medical schools don't give grants to students, scholarships, etc.?

Please know that you are not alone.. as I got my award letter on Monday and wasn't pleased as well. Not that I'm one to give financial aid advice... but there's nothing like coming up on the end of the first semester and realizing you don't have enough to make it through New Years. So I'd say take out the full amount.. at least for the first year, unless you're a master at adhering to a budget. Also, you might want to ask how the fees are being taken out this year if you talk to the fin aid office. Last year all our fees (insurance, etc.) got taken out first semester, so we had a lot less money to live off of first semester than second semester.

:smuggrin:
Please know that you are not alone.. as I got my award letter on Monday and wasn't pleased as well. Not that I'm one to give financial aid advice... but there's nothing like coming up on the end of the first semester and realizing you don't have enough to make it through New Years. So I'd say take out the full amount.. at least for the first year, unless you're a master at adhering to a budget. Also, you might want to ask how the fees are being taken out this year if you talk to the fin aid office. Last year all our fees (insurance, etc.) got taken out first semester, so we had a lot less money to live off of first semester than second semester.

You mentioned you got your award letter on Monday and "last year all our fees..." Are you in the 2010 or 2011 class? You're confusing me. :smuggrin:

They're giving me a $40,000 scholarship ($10,000/yr over 4 years). I was thinking everybody got that. Please tell me this is so.

They're giving me a $40,000 scholarship ($10,000/yr over 4 years). I was thinking everybody got that. Please tell me this is so.

Ha ha I wish I could tell you this was true, but it is not. I got NO scholarship. All I got were loans. I decided today that Meharry is where I am going to go since I have been placed on the waitlist at my state school (I will just transfer there (hopefully) for my second year since they do allow it), so I am just going to be stuck taking the loans this year.:thumbdown:

Also, have you decided if you are going to go to Meharry or not? If not, I will happily take that 40,000 from you:D :thumbup:

Also, have you decided if you are going to go to Meharry or not? If not, I will happily take that 40,000 from you:D :thumbup:

My state schools are still acting stupid (waitlisted), Howard only shelled out $5K, so Meharry is looking like a possibility every passing day - and for that reason I'm still keeping that $40K for myself ;) . Sorry, hate to disappoint you :p

My state schools are still acting stupid (waitlisted), Howard only shelled out $5K, so Meharry is looking like a possibility every passing day - and for that reason I'm still keeping that $40K for myself ;) . Sorry, hate to disappoint you :p

LOL:)

So how are you all going to deal with the impending tuition increase? (I understand the new president, Dr. Riley, is already asking for an increase in tuition). Not that it is surprising but I'm hoping they will recalculate our financial aid awards to take the new increase into account if or when the increase is approved. I wonder why medical schools are so greedy. :mad: :smuggrin:

So how are you all going to deal with the impending tuition increase? (I understand the new president, Dr. Riley, is already asking for an increase in tuition). Not that it is surprising but I'm hoping they will recalculate our financial aid awards to take the new increase into account if or when the increase is approved. I wonder why medical schools are so greedy. :mad: :smuggrin:

Is medical school like undergrad...such that the tuition raises every year anyway? Hopefully if they do raise it the financial aid letters will be changed. The financial aid lady said it (tuition) could increase by 3%

I'm still waiting patiently for my award letter, but I know it will be all loans. Oh well...it is worth it in the long run. :D

:smuggrin:

You mentioned you got your award letter on Monday and "last year all our fees..." Are you in the 2010 or 2011 class? You're confusing me. :smuggrin:

:D She is in the 2010 class.

Thanks tthorst. And you are right, I am in the 2010 class. Sorry for the confusion GuzzyRon and congratulations on your scholarship.

Thanks for the clarification...but trust me, I'm not as ******ed as I sound. :oops:

But anyway, Ayzn, do you know of any decent apartments within good striking distance of Meharry? All the apartments I've seen online so far are between 10 - 20 miles of the school. I would prefer something within 5 - 10 miles of the school. Help a brotha out!

Thanks for the clarification...but trust me, I'm not as ******ed as I sound. :oops:

But anyway, Ayzn, do you know of any decent apartments within good striking distance of Meharry? All the apartments I've seen online so far are between 10 - 20 miles of the school. I would prefer something within 5 - 10 miles of the school. Help a brotha out!
Hmm.. let's see. Housing within 5-10 miles. Lately I've been hearing about some apartments behind TSU that are pretty nice and a decent price, but I'm not sure how you go about renting those. There are apartments off Metrocenter Blvd. that are nice (The Parc at Metrocenter), but they're going to run you about $780 in rent per month. If you can find a way to qualify for low-income housing there's a lot of places near school (the Villas at Metrocenter, amongst other places). I've also heard of decent prices out by the airport (Donelson Pike area). Several of my classmates live in Bellevue in random complexes (The Lexington, Grand View, The Lakes of Bellevue, etc.), which is about 11-15 miles from campus depending on the complex in which you reside. You can always look into apartments near Vandy as well, just keep in mind that they're going to be a lot more expensive than those further out.

I don't know if that was any help. I can try again, if need be.

Hey Guzzy, I am looking for a roomate. I called Lakes of Bellevue and a two bedroom apartment is around 750 give or take. If you're interested please let me know. Sorry everyone for waiting so long to introduce myself. See you next month!

Hmm.. let's see. Housing within 5-10 miles. Lately I've been hearing about some apartments behind TSU that are pretty nice and a decent price, but I'm not sure how you go about renting those. There are apartments off Metrocenter Blvd. that are nice (The Parc at Metrocenter), but they're going to run you about $780 in rent per month. If you can find a way to qualify for low-income housing there's a lot of places near school (the Villas at Metrocenter, amongst other places). I've also heard of decent prices out by the airport (Donelson Pike area). Several of my classmates live in Bellevue in random complexes (The Lexington, Grand View, The Lakes of Bellevue, etc.), which is about 11-15 miles from campus depending on the complex in which you reside. You can always look into apartments near Vandy as well, just keep in mind that they're going to be a lot more expensive than those further out.

I don't know if that was any help. I can try again, if need be.

Thanks for the info....very helpful. But BTW, do you know the name of the apartments behind TSU? What are those called?

And does Meharry have a white coat ceremony?

Hey Guzzy, I am looking for a roomate. I called Lakes of Bellevue and a two bedroom apartment is around 750 give or take. If you're interested please let me know. Sorry everyone for waiting so long to introduce myself. See you next month!

I sent you a PM, did you get it?