Meharry Medical College Class of 2016!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I am new to the thread and was accepted like 2 months ago. I am pretty set on going to Meharry and was wondering about the best places for students to live (relatively close, safe, fairly priced). Also is there a facebook group for the class of 2016? This would make communication between the class very easy.

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning ALL! I am a current 3rd year @ Meharry! I created a group for you all on facebook; Meharry Medical College School of Medicine Class of 2016. We are working this year to do something differently for the incoming class. Essentially, we got feedback from our class to expedite the housing process for your class. It's like a "Meharry Apartment Guide". The only places that we have are places where Meharrians live/used to live. This should make the housing search a LOT easier for you @ no COST to you! Please join the group on facebook and Congratulations!

Please see my message below yours:) Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much shawuwoman21 for doing that for us. I am sure we all appreciate your efforts. God bless!!!

Good morning ALL! I am a current 3rd year @ Meharry! I created a group for you all on facebook; Meharry Medical College School of Medicine Class of 2016. We are working this year to do something differently for the incoming class. Essentially, we got feedback from our class to expedite the housing process for your class. It's like a "Meharry Apartment Guide". The only places that we have are places where Meharrians live/used to live. This should make the housing search a LOT easier for you @ no COST to you! Please join the group on facebook and Congratulations!

Hey everyone!!!! I just now noticed that there was a thread for our class, I know i'm a little late lol. I will be attending Meharry as well. Go c/o 2016!!! I will be in Nashville 4/13-4/17 looking at some apartments so if anyone wanted to meet me during that time to look around that would be cool. I am also possibly looking for a roomate so if anyone is interested just pm me. :)

sn: can someone post the link to the facebook class page, I can't seem to find it. :(

It's ok stewart lol. Anyways here is the link to the facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/297634926972853/

Hey everyone!!!! I just now noticed that there was a thread for our class, I know i'm a little late lol. I will be attending Meharry as well. Go c/o 2016!!! I will be in Nashville 4/13-4/17 looking at some apartments so if anyone wanted to meet me during that time to look around that would be cool. I am also possibly looking for a roomate so if anyone is interested just pm me. :)

sn: can someone post the link to the facebook class page, I can't seem to find it. :(

Congratulations to everyone!! I look forward to meeting all of you in late June. :)

Last edited:
it doesnt feel real yet.
can't wait to see you guys this summer :)

Thanks!
To all of you who have gotten a package, I was just wondering if the package says anything about having to maintaining a certain gpa? I'm still doing my undergrad and currently doing my final exams and I was just curious

Congrats on getting accepted:). Secondly, join us on facebook. Also to answer your question, you just have to maintain your grades. Don't fail a class and probably don't get a D. Aside from that I think as long as you get your degree, you will be ok. Finish strong and get ready for med school. See you this summer. :)
Thanks!
To all of you who have gotten a package, I was just wondering if the package says anything about having to maintaining a certain gpa? I'm still doing my undergrad and currently doing my final exams and I was just curious

I have been trying for weeks to get a hold of someone who can answer a question I have regarding the physical exam, but I keep getting transfered to people who always are not in their office and when I leave a voicemail or send an email, I never get a reply. It is so frustrating :mad:

Hey makauzi, I don't know if you joined the facebook group yet, if not then join us there. There is more activity and probably some of the upperclassmen on there could help you contact someone.

I have been trying for weeks to get a hold of someone who can answer a question I have regarding the physical exam, but I keep getting transfered to people who always are not in their office and when I leave a voicemail or send an email, I never get a reply. It is so frustrating :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey makauzi, I don't know if you joined the facebook group yet, if not then join us there. There is more activity and probably some of the upperclassmen on there could help you contact someone.

Thanks, just found it :)

Hey everyone. I just wanted to post a quick reminder in case anyone had forgotten:

We can now submit to the credit checks for the Grad Plus loans. For whatever reason, we previously had to wait until May 1st. I hope this helps someone and I am totally looking forward to June.

Looks like getting accepted into the fb group is tougher than getting accepted to Meharry itself, I requested a while back and still not accepted :confused:

Looks like getting accepted into the fb group is tougher than getting accepted to Meharry itself, I requested a while back and still not accepted :confused:

What's your question about the physical exam?

I don't think I posted in here before today. I'm a current 4th year student at Meharry. I can try to help you answer questions about the school. Questions are better sent to me by PM because I won't be checking this thread. But I'll repost the question and answers here for everyone else to benefit from.

Feel free to find me on Facebook. But know I'm not ignoring you, I just suck at Facebooking.

Welcome to the family!

Alyssa.

I was accepted to Meharry for this fall and saw on the forum that you're a current student there! I had a few questions I was wondering if you could help me with?

1.) Rotations: how does 3rd and 4th year particularly look like? Are all the rotations at Meharry and affiliated hospitals?

Rotations are at Metro General hospital (on campus), Meharry clinics (on campus), ELAM mental health center (on campus) Matthew Walker - a 'patient home' comprehensive health center affiliated with Meharry (on Jefferson), 1919 clinics - the Meharry physicians 'private practice', VA hospital (in Murphreesboro), Middle Tennessee Mental Hospital, Vanderbilt medical center, Vanderbilt children's hospital, and then various private doctors hospitals in the Nashville area.

I really like that we get to see such a variety of different health systems and practices.

3rd year we have 3 months of internal medicine (floor, outpatient, and 2 weeks of neurology), 3 months of surgery (general surgery plus a bag of subspecialties to choose from), 2 months of peds (outpatient and inpatient- inpatient is as Vandy because when they built their children's hospital it was under some deal that ALL other children's hospital in the area had to close.) 2 months of OB/GYN, one month of psychiatry (inpatient at VA or the state mental hospital, in/outpatient at Meharry), and 1 months of Family Medicine (in and outpatient)

for 4th year there are 4 1 month blocks of required "rotations"- Radiology, Internal medicine (either inpatient or ICU at Meharry or the VA), Senior ambulatory (very broad you can do almost anything outpatient in the departments of peds, FM, IM, ob/gyn), and CAPSTONE (which is a mixed bag of lectures and activities to get you ready for residency and culminate your medical experience. It happens in February). You also need to complete 4 elective credits, but you don't have to do them all in your final year. The more you complete ahead of time, the more free time you have in 4th year. In 4th year you also have the option of doing away rotations at other institutions and you'll of course be applying and interviewing for residency programs.

**Note that if you're applying to something particularly competitive, like we had someone match to neurosurg this year, you can take electives/4th year rotations before completing all of your 3rd year ones.

**Note #2. If you through your schedule out of wack by taking Step 1 late (which I think they've now instituted a mandatory date by which u have to take it) or fail it your schedule for 3rd and 4th year won't be as straight forward.

2.) Vandy-Meharry alliance: I get that this is a partnership between the two schools but how does this translate in your education at Meharry? Are there particular rotations at Vandy?

It allows certain access to resources at Vanderbilt (and vice versa). I think that's the best way to put it as I'm sure there are more opportunities than I know about. Things I do know about:

-MD/PHD students can complete their phd portion with a mentor from Vanderbilt

-a lot of students use their medical library to study in. Although the number has probably decreased since out library was renovated 2 summers ago. I know I havent been to the Vandy library since then.

-multidisciplinary clinical case competition that encompasses Meharry and different schools from Vanderbilt

-opportunity to take courses there without fees. I've been completing the requirements for a graduate certificate in global health from their institute for global health

-opportunity to apply for the Vanderbilt medical scholars research program. It's a year of funded research.

-inpatient pediatrics is done at vanderbilt, as well as some subspecialities like nephrology, GI, neuro etc. Certain surgical subspecialities are done there as well - neuro, trama, transplant, vascular, cardio thoracic...

-Vanderbilt people sometimes get training at Meharry. The students rotate through out peds clinic. The peds residents, until the duty hour changes, rotated through out newborn nursery/NICU, and fellows (Cardio, ortho, urology, heme/onc...) do some of their training at Meharry.

3.) Research: I'm especially interested in doing research throughout my 4 years at Meharry but having trouble finding labs I'm interested in online. Is it common for students to research at labs outside of Meharry? Where do you most people research at other than Meharry if this is true?

The website isn't the most user-friendly space. When you get to Meharry you can visit the different departments and talk to people about your interests. Even if they don't have projects in your area, they might be able to introduce you to someone at Vanderbilt who is in that field. I don't think it's common for students to do research at all. It isn't a huge research powerhouse. However, if you are interested in research your goals will be supported (I'm actually on a research year now). For outside of Meharry, most people research at Vanderbilt or their hometowns.

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

I know Meharry's mission focuses on primary care but I'm in love with the school and think I belong here compared to my other options. I'm interested in surgery (maybe vascular?)- how do you think Meharry would benefit me in this choice or what are some hurdles I may face?

Meharry does have a focus on primary care. That's really seen in the structure of our clerkship rotations. For example we have the family medicine rotation that is part of 3rd year. Not all schools have this as a mandatory rotation. We then go further to have a mandatory senior ambulatory rotation (which doesn't necessarily have to be primary care). You're also exposed to primary care in Ob/gyn, peds, and internal medicine.

That being said, it won't be an impediment for you aspiring to any specialty. The goal of Meharry is to train physicians that will treat people from underserved backgrounds. This population does need more than just primary care services. The vascular surgeon at Meharry does create a lot of arteriovenous fistulas for our diabetic patients who are on dialysis for example.

This year we have ~17/100 people match into surgery programs (general, ortho, ENT, optho, neuro) and ~25/100 match into non-primary care, non-surgical programs (anesthesia, rad, derm, neuro...). The rest fall into FM, Ob/gyn, IM, peds but even some of those people aspire to subspecialize.

For surgery, Meharry doesn't have a residency program so not all specialties are represented here. You are able to do a rotation in any specialties during your 3rd year rotation through partnerships at Vanderbilt, East Tennessee med school and private physicians. I was considering surgery and I did ortho and urology at Meharry, and did ENT with a private doc. One benefit of the lack of residents is that you get to scrub in for all of your surgeries, you get to be first assistant a lot of the time, and you get quality time with attendings who will be writing you letters.

Reactions: 1 user
I was on the waitlist... but now I'm not! I just just just got an email earlier today saying I was accepted! Yaay!! But that means I have like 3 weeks to get my life together O__O Does anybody know of any inexpensive and safe apartments? And would they start a lease in June? I have an aptmt in Athens now (UGA go dawgs!), so I'm looking for something close to that price range. But I'm afraid the low prices in Athens may have spoiled me when it comes to other cities' aptmt prices lol

Hey KLM08MD, first off congratulations to you!!! Secondly, Nashville apartment prices are pretty reasonable. Start searching apartmentguide.com or apartmentfinder.com. Also, if you have a facebook account, join the meharry group on there. I posted the link above. There are upperclassmen on there who can help you with your apartment search. Once again yay!!!!:):)

I was on the waitlist... but now I'm not! I just just just got an email earlier today saying I was accepted! Yaay!! But that means I have like 3 weeks to get my life together O__O Does anybody know of any inexpensive and safe apartments? And would they start a lease in June? I have an aptmt in Athens now (UGA go dawgs!), so I'm looking for something close to that price range. But I'm afraid the low prices in Athens may have spoiled me when it comes to other cities' aptmt prices lol

Thanks!! And yeah I joined the group but i don't think I'm in yet it still says closed group

Also what are the on campus choices like? I only got to see the outside of one of them I think when I went to my interview, I wonder if they're all full now hmmm

Are there any female medical students still looking for roommates? I just got accepted to Meharry on Friday, and have to do some serious hustling to find a spot before orientation/classes start! Inbox me if you're interested!! Thankssss!:xf:

Today at 1:37 pm I was accepted off the wait list!!! Now I just need a place to live, no big deal. lol CaoCao Diamond, are you still looking for that roommate?

Any information or suggestions you can provide would be very helpful. Can't wait to see all of you very, very soon!

Good evening I will be a first year student at Meharry Medical college and was looking to rent an apartment in nashville. I do not know the area very well however alot of places that I have been searching for are very expensive to live in alone or are too far for me to commute to school everyday. If you would email me back as soon as possible I would truly appreciate it! Thanks in Advance

Hello everyone!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I will be attending Meharry this summer and I am very excited to embark on this journey with you all! I am also looking for a roommate and a place to stay. If anyone else is looking for a roommate please feel free to contact me! I definitely wouldn't mind visiting for a weekend and meeting someone to look at apartments. I still haven't received my enrollment package in the mail yet, so hopefully that comes soon.

Hello Shadow2,

My name is Alnesha and I will be starting medical school in Meharry in fall as well! I am currently looking for a roommate as well.
If you are still searching, please contact me as soon as possible!

Looking forward to meeting you soon :)

What's the word on the on campus apartments?

How do people like Morena Place vs Royal Towers?

I know there's a long wait list to get into both, so I'm curious who gets first preference?

Thanks for any help