Meharry Postbac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Webbster82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a current Meharry student. The post-bac program is offered to students who apply to Meharry for admittance into the 1st year class, but the admissions committee feels that they need another year to prepare for med school. Admission into the first year class the following year is guaranteed as long as you meet whatever stipulations they ask -- a certain MCAT score, and a certain GPA in the program. I think they offer Kaplan (or Princeton Review -- not sure which) to help prepare for the MCAT. Several of my classmates participated in it. I personally did not attend the program though. I'm not sure if that helps at all, but maybe if you ask a more specific question, I can find an answer for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received that email about being considered for their post bac program. Hopefully we both will be selected into the program. I have heard great reviews from the students who were invited into the program.

I think we should be finding out tomorrow or early next week. I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

I thought we found out tomorrow, where did you get the info about next week? I hope everyone does well, and gets accepted.

But 21 days is REALLY short notice to pick up and move 800 miles....

Getting nervous here. Maybe today or this week, we shall hear:xf:

Good Luck everyone!!!

I have classmates that got into PARP at Howard and had to move from Cali and Georgia to DC in 4 days; quit the job, pack their stuff, and drove their car the entire way. They found out the Thursday before they had to begin the program which started that Monday :eek:

If you are given the opportunity, do what you have to do.

did u guys find out if u got into the post bacc program yet?? good luck

Not yet. Still waiting. Well not for me at least. I thought we would find out on monday. So now im hoping for wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone called their office. I was watching one of their videos. One person said she found out on a tuesday and orientation was that friday. Hopefully the same won't happen to us.

Has anyone called their office. I was watching one of their videos. One person said she found out on a tuesday and orientation was that friday. Hopefully the same won't happen to us.
I've tried calling several times and they keep on telling me to email [email protected], which I have.... BUT, I haven't received a response yet.

I got confirmation on today by phone. If you haven't heard yet give Dr. Pamela Williams a call (615) 327-6731.

I also received that email about being considered for their post bac program. Hopefully we both will be selected into the program. I have heard great reviews from the students who were invited into the program.

I also did a confirmation by phone today for the postbac program (MD). Dr. Williams said that there were a few spaces left.........Hope this helps.

Anybody know about housing for the post bac? If so, can you please provide some details (where, how much, furnishing, pets welcome, etc.)

I was just wondering if anybody that got into the summer program (thank you praise God I did) is looking for apts as I am and having trouble doing so? Is anybody looking for a roommate or open to it, cause under the right circumstances I'm down.

Do you all mind sharing your stats if you were accepted into Meharry post bac program? Thanks

Is the program 1 or 2 years? And I was wondering if I had around a 3.0 and 25 mcat would that possibly be elgible for the post bacc program? Does anyone know how many students they take each yr?

yes I would like to second that...if anyone has went through the Meharry post bac program and has some information about it...like how its run, classes, and the 411...that would be extremely wonderful...thanks in advance!!!

AnyOne? :xf:

Is the program 1 or 2 years? And I was wondering if I had around a 3.0 and 25 mcat would that possibly be elgible for the post bacc program? Does anyone know how many students they take each yr?

Since nobody in the program is answering I'll share what I know...

I'm not in the program but my best friend is...it's 1 year but starts like early June. I'm not sure what the general numbers to get in are but I'm pretty sure you have to have attended an interview (for regular md) to be selected. The class is pretty small 15-20 (I believe just including md?...not sure about the overall numbers but the program is combined w/ the dental students) Over the summer they did mostly pre-med review courses, because they require students to retake the MCAT in the spring if your score wasn't high enough. This semester they're taking Genetics, Biochem, Cell bio and a writing course I believe...Next semester I'm not sure...I think physiology is one of the courses.

It's guaranteed admissions if you obtain whatever gpa and mcat that they ask...

To warn you they informed some people very last minute (my friend was offered to participate in the program less than 2 weeks or so before it started)...I know that a lot of people in the program with my friend were on the waitlist (to give you some idea of the pool of ppl they consider for the program).

Hopefully somebody in the program can offer more insight...or if any of you have any specific questions that I could ask my friend in the program I'd be happy to do that as well.

I'm not in the program but my best friend is...it's 1 year but starts like early June. I'm not sure what the general numbers to get in are but I'm pretty sure you have to have attended an interview (for regular md) to be selected. The class is pretty small 15-20 (I believe just including md?...not sure about the overall numbers but the program is combined w/ the dental students) Over the summer they did mostly pre-med review courses, because they require students to retake the MCAT in the spring if your score wasn't high enough. This semester they're taking Genetics, Biochem, Cell bio and a writing course I believe...Next semester I'm not sure...I think physiology is one of the courses.

To warn you they informed some people very last minute (my friend was offered to participate in the program less than 2 weeks or so before it started)...I know that a lot of people in the program with my friend were on the waitlist (to give you some idea of the pool of ppl they consider for the program).

Hopefully somebody in the program can offer more insight...or if any of you have any specific questions that I could ask my friend in the program I'd be happy to do that as well.

thanks a lot..this was definitely helpful and brought some insight...:thumbup:

now to get your friend onto SDN to speak :laugh:

thanks a lot..this was definitely helpful and brought some insight...:thumbup:

now to get your friend onto SDN to speak :laugh:

lol good luck w/ that...i see he posted once on this forum (and in total on sdn)

but no problem...anything else I see that I could ask I'll be sure to do so.

Hey, I wasn't apart of the program, but I help tutor some of the students. I know they take Anatomy and Physiology in the spring, as well as a MCAT prep course (Princeton Review, I believe). I know there's another spring course as well, but I'm not sure what it is (Immunology maybe??). Also, I believe everyone is required to take the MCAT again, regardless of what their score was the first time (i'm not 100% positive on this though). If you do not make the required GPA AND MCAT score, you will not be promoted to the first year class the following year.

Everything else stated above is true. They do tend to let people know about acceptance at the last minute. I think some of that has to do with the fact that a lot of the people chosen are on the wait list for the medical class and they're trying to finalize that list first (this is just my theory). They have been known to pull people up from the post-bac program into the first year class, if not everyone who's accepted shows up the first week (this might be like 1-2 people per year- nothing to bank on).

Housing is not provided or guaranteed. There is campus housing available on a first come, first serve basis. However, there are TONS of apartment complexes in Nashville, so finding a place to live shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps a tiny bit. Good luck to all those that are applying this year.

I also did a confirmation by phone today for the postbac program (MD). Dr. Williams said that there were a few spaces left.........Hope this helps.

Hi since you are in the post-bacc program now, I was wondering if you would like to share any information about it. Please email me at [email protected] or just message me back on the thread. Thanks

Will they be conducting telephone interviews for the program, if so, when?

Will they be conducting telephone interviews for the program, if so, when?

I don't think they do phone interviews. They just review those applicants who they have already interviewed for regular MD admissions.

I believe.

If you were let in do you mind sharing your stats please?

If you were let in do you mind sharing your stats please?

At this point I have not been invited to participate in their program. I am a science major, and while I'm not sure whether they would specifically target science majors, I don't think they'll be contacting me about doing the post-bac. I'll let you know if they do, though.

1. How much does the program cost?
2. Is financial aid available for the program?
3. Is it wise to work while in the program?
4. Does the school help with housing since students find out about 2 or 3 weeks before the start of the program if they've got in or not?
5. What are the exact MCAT score & GPA needed to ensure a seat in the next Medical school class?

Did you ever find out the answers to your question? Because I'm still waiting and do not have an interview yet?

Wondering in I should throw in the towel on this one at the moment...

Last edited:
1. How much does the program cost?
2. Is financial aid available for the program?
3. Is it wise to work while in the program?
4. Does the school help with housing since students find out about 2 or 3 weeks before the start of the program if they've got in or not?
5. What are the exact MCAT score & GPA needed to ensure a seat in the next Medical school class?

I was wondering the same thing!!! Someone plz help!!!

Are there any Meharry post bac students that have apartments? Because I was just accepted and I wanna see where are people staying. Thanks alot

Are there any Meharry post bac students that have apartments? Because I was just accepted and I wanna see where are people staying. Thanks alot

i was just accepted too. im scrambling to find housing. im gonna call monday to see about staying on campus (hopefully just for the summer) and then search for an apt for the fall and spring. from what ive been reading, there are a lot of nearby apts (sorry i cant offer names) but prices greatly vary. but check out the f'book group "Meharry Medical College School of Medicine-Class of 2015!". ppl have been talking about where they'll be staying.

Hi! I'm a current Meharry student. The post-bac program is offered to students who apply to Meharry for admittance into the 1st year class, but the admissions committee feels that they need another year to prepare for med school. Admission into the first year class the following year is guaranteed as long as you meet whatever stipulations they ask -- a certain MCAT score, and a certain GPA in the program. I think they offer Kaplan (or Princeton Review -- not sure which) to help prepare for the MCAT. Several of my classmates participated in it. I personally did not attend the program though. I'm not sure if that helps at all, but maybe if you ask a more specific question, I can find an answer for you. Good luck!
Sorry, I know it has been a while since this post, but does anyone know if this program still exist?