Meharry vs. Maryland (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drunathi

Reaction score
Meharry vs. Maryland

Had my heart set on Meharry, got accepted to Maryland at the last minute and now I don't know what to do! I enjoyed both interview days, and I know both are great schools. I love the family atmosphere at Meharry, especially since I attended a small school for undergrad, but I'm also in love with the facilities at Maryland.

School 1: Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
OOS
Pros:
  • Close to home
  • Small class size
  • Warm family atmosphere
  • Less expensive
  • Great "vibes" at my interview day
  • emphasis on community service
Cons:
  • slow office
  • facilities are a little old
  • I thought some areas of the dental school were a little gloomy looking
School 2: University of Maryland
OOS
Pros:
  • More prestigious
  • Beautiful facilities
  • Community and International service opportunities
  • Most diverse school after Howard and Meharry
  • Sounds minor but I loved how much sunlight the huge windows in the dental school let in
Cons:
  • cold winters, snow
  • more expensive
  • far from home
Leaning towards Meharry, but I'd really hate to turn down either school. Any tips or observations anyone can provide are welcomed and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, current dental student at Meharry. Simply put, don't come here for a quality education. It's a facade. If I could do it all over again I would have taken up that acceptance from UMD. I can share with you more insight. Feel free to DM me.

Reactions: 1 user
at meharry. It is the best and I have no regrets. The small classes sizes makes the education so manageable. I would go for the meharry since it is also cheaper and you learn the same things all over the country. save money!!

Hey there, current dental student at Meharry. Simply put, don't come here for a quality education. It's a facade. If I could do it all over again I would have taken up that acceptance from UMD. I can share with you more insight. Feel free to DM me.

THIS IS THE TRUTH!!!!!

M1 here!!!
TAKE YOUR ASS TO MARYLAND RIGHT NOW!!!
Do not let Meharry trick you. I assure you, that "vibe" you felt is all smoke and mirrors.
  • Close to home ( Travel the world. Leave the nest)
  • Small class size (120 - 130 students in the M1 class right now)
  • Warm family atmosphere ( I assure you this is not the case. You get that from the students, but the faculty. The REAL faculty that isn't on the greeting team will give you culture shock)
  • Less expensive ( (90k a year with living expenses included as an m1)
  • Great "vibes" at my interview day (again, this is the fog)
  • emphasis on community service ( emphasis on community service, by implementing mandatory community service and outreach into your grade)

PM if you want to know more or come here for yourself.
    Then you can message me a year from now and tell me "you was right".