Melbourne or Edinburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulvet21

Edinburgh c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, another which one thread (sorry).

I really like Edinburgh after visiting. Only things I didn't like were very minor (like construction going on around the school which will be done soon).

I have never been to Australia, but think I would really like it there. The thing that is attracting me there more than Edinburgh is the nice weather! Also, I think Melbourne might end up being a little cheaper, but not by much.

My dilemma is that since Melbourne's year starts in feb/march I will have about 8 months off after I graduate this May. I'm happy to have time off after school, but I don't know what job I could get for just 8 months that could pay bills. I'd be happy to work as a vet tech and waitress on the side or whatever, but I'm not sure anyone's hiring here. I refuse to live at home (NJ) for that long of a time. I have no friends living back home and I don't have a car, so it is out of the question. I want to do something that would look decent on my resume in the future, or relevant to vet med, and not just waitress or bartend. I'm also worried since it's kind of late in the game to be applying for jobs when I graduate in a month! But I think I would really love going to Melbourne and would love to make it work...any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Well first of all I think you should go to Edinburgh, because it is looking more and more like that's were I'll be headed:D BUT If you do have 8 months why not go to Australia early. There are all sorts of cool animal related field study type things you could get involved in while learning to surf and working on that perfect tan. Or, if you want something less committed, I know a lot of people pick fruit as a way to make money and travel around Australia. It's kind of like the backpackers way to funding a trip through OZ. You work a couple days and then play and travel until you need to work a couple more. With vet school starting it might be a LONG time before you have the freedom to just relax and explore a new country.

Or...you could always go to Edinburgh!:laugh:

Aussie aussie aussie! oi! oi! oi!

I agree with WildZooVet....no harm in doing a bit of travelling around Aussie doing a bit of backpacking before you settle in and crack down.

Aussie's are awesome! :D