Memorization techniques

Started by MeghanMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MeghanMD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aside from pneumonics does anyone have a good memorization techniques. I need to get better at rote memorization
 
Repetition, writing it (for me on a white board), flash cards if that works for you. You know how you learn better than we do
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How I get through purely memorization (Spanish/Psychology/terms/etc) is through relating it to something ridiculous. For example, Canberra is the capital of Australia, so I picture a bear in a can. It works for me, but lots of my friends don't agree haha.

I remember seeing something similar on TV. Some guy memorized a lot of random letters by creating a story in his head.
 
I started turning all of my notes/powerpoints into comprehensive study guides. I would turn the headings into questions and use my notes to answer the questions. I would then save a blank copy of all the questions. Then I would type up the answers over and over until I could answer them all nearly verbatim. I made straight A's throughout my final 2 years of undergrad using this technique.
 
It entirely depends on the person. I personally find pneumonics utterly useless. I have a very visual memory, so reading textbooks is a great way for me to learn material. I typically remember what the page looks like that the information is on, then where on the page it was, then what it said. Writing it down helps as well.