1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Memorization techniques

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MeghanMD, May 17, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MeghanMD

MeghanMD 2+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Aside from pneumonics does anyone have a good memorization techniques. I need to get better at rote memorization

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr. Biology

Dr. Biology The Nerdiest Super Hero 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Repetition, writing it (for me on a white board), flash cards if that works for you. You know how you learn better than we do

4. Being

Being

Oct 9, 2013
    Anki or Supermemo.

poopsicle and allojay like this.
  5. MrLogan13

MrLogan13 2+ Year Member

May 16, 2014
    There are few things better than forced retrieval.

6. Kochanie

Kochanie

Dec 16, 2013
    How I get through purely memorization (Spanish/Psychology/terms/etc) is through relating it to something ridiculous. For example, Canberra is the capital of Australia, so I picture a bear in a can. It works for me, but lots of my friends don't agree haha.

I remember seeing something similar on TV. Some guy memorized a lot of random letters by creating a story in his head.

7. Livin'_that_scribelife

Livin'_that_scribelife

Apr 16, 2014
    I started turning all of my notes/powerpoints into comprehensive study guides. I would turn the headings into questions and use my notes to answer the questions. I would then save a blank copy of all the questions. Then I would type up the answers over and over until I could answer them all nearly verbatim. I made straight A's throughout my final 2 years of undergrad using this technique.

ATXtripper, TactFR44 and Being like this.
  8. Psai

Psai Account on Hold Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2014
    ヽ(´ー`)ノ
    Physician
    1) Read it
    2) Do questions
    3) Reread the stuff you don't know well
    4) ???
    5) Get an A.

9. LostinLift

LostinLift 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2013
    :rofl:

Read Moonwalking with Einstein

10. phunky

phunky 2+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2012
    It entirely depends on the person. I personally find pneumonics utterly useless. I have a very visual memory, so reading textbooks is a great way for me to learn material. I typically remember what the page looks like that the information is on, then where on the page it was, then what it said. Writing it down helps as well.