Memorization Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyBambooGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for memorizing the massive amount of information taught in med school. I have always been a conceptual learner and avoided rote memorization like the plague. It takes me forever to memorize anything and after I finally think I have it, a few hours later I will mix it all up again. I am having a real problem in anatomy because of this--for example, memorizing what goes through the foramina in the skull, or the boundaries of the triangles of the neck. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LuckyBambooGirl said:
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for memorizing the massive amount of information taught in med school. I have always been a conceptual learner and avoided rote memorization like the plague. It takes me forever to memorize anything and after I finally think I have it, a few hours later I will mix it all up again. I am having a real problem in anatomy because of this--for example, memorizing what goes through the foramina in the skull, or the boundaries of the triangles of the neck. Thanks!

I have the same problem - so I try to make everything into a process or a flow. For example, I know that the the mandibular division of the trigeminal comes out of the foramen ovale because I know that it carries the motor/sensory for the jaw, I know that stuff gets to that region form the infratemporal fossa into which the foramen ovale opens.

So if you know the concept of what the mandibular division of 5 is doing, and you know the general plan for how things get to that area, then you know which foramen the nerve comes out of.

Basically, I've tried to use my ability as a conceptual learner to narrow down the list of things that I must just flat memorize - there are somethings that just have got to be done that way - but just build flows off of the basic facts, and you know them because you know the flow.

mendel121 said:
I have the same problem - so I try to make everything into a process or a flow. For example, I know that the the mandibular division of the trigeminal comes out of the foramen ovale because I know that it carries the motor/sensory for the jaw, I know that stuff gets to that region form the infratemporal fossa into which the foramen ovale opens.

So if you know the concept of what the mandibular division of 5 is doing, and you know the general plan for how things get to that area, then you know which foramen the nerve comes out of.

Basically, I've tried to use my ability as a conceptual learner to narrow down the list of things that I must just flat memorize - there are somethings that just have got to be done that way - but just build flows off of the basic facts, and you know them because you know the flow.

This is sound advice. Sometimes mnemonics help too, like "V3, oval-EE".... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully, I finished Gross Anatomy last term :D VERY interesting class, but nevertheless, very hard for someone who sucks at memorization (like myself)

needless to say, M1 year has been pretty hard. I tried out the following techniques, and they helped a bit:

-Study in groups- throw questions at each other. That way you can see what you really know and dont know. Make your questions as random and specific as possible.

-Recopy, again and again and again- dont just read your notes, take notes on your notes, then take notes on those notes, and repeat. The more you do it, the more things will stick in your head.

-LOOK AT OLD EXAMS: this is truly the only way you can survive in med school. Study old questions, figure out why your right answers are right and the wrong answers are wrong.

-key word: SHORT TERM MEMORY: Honestly, when you're a dr, you wont need to know half the random **** they teach you here. However, you will need to know it to become a dr, so after reviewing it a few times, go on an all out cram session the night before/morning of. Thatll stuff it all in your head in time and allow it to leave that night when you kill off your brain cells with alcohol!

Hope that helps, good luck!

Mnemonics work well for me.

That and constant re-reading of the material!

Read to understand not memorize. If you understand the reasonsing things make sense rather than this means that and that is this and so on.

Make whatever you're doing interesting. Go to a place with no distractions, turn off your phone, leave the house whatever you need. When you study, actually study and get stuff done. This leaves more free time later. Don't halfway study halfway socialize it's not productive. Have a good time once you are done.

Make sure you are actively thinking about what you're reading. Seems obvious, but think in your head about what exactly your reading. Take a pause every now and then and summarize what you have just covered.

Taking notes/recopying... Remember hearing somewhere that writing is like reading something 7x times. Don't know if I would say 7x but it definitely helps. Once again don't blindly rewrite/copy actively think!

Once you're done with section or overall or whatever quiz yourself! Either have someone else do it or do it yourself. If you are doing it yourself read say the heading and coverup text (or just don't look at it) and recall what you should know. Then read over the information below and pick out what you don't remember and think about it. For whatever reason once you've been asked something and don't know it, but get answer you remember. If you do it with partner you learn both ways. When you ask a question you get a response some of which you may not know. Or if you are asked something they will tell you whatever you left out that they know. Go over old tests to quiz yourself and see how questions are asked and what is covered and how in depth it is covered. Focus accordingly. Then go over whatever you are weak on!

This is what I (try) to do, seems to be workin so far! :)

DizzyNT said:
Read to understand not memorize. If you understand the reasonsing things make sense rather than this means that and that is this and so on.

Make whatever you're doing interesting. Go to a place with no distractions, turn off your phone, leave the house whatever you need. When you study, actually study and get stuff done. This leaves more free time later. Don't halfway study halfway socialize it's not productive. Have a good time once you are done.

Make sure you are actively thinking about what you're reading. Seems obvious, but think in your head about what exactly your reading. Take a pause every now and then and summarize what you have just covered.

Taking notes/recopying... Remember hearing somewhere that writing is like reading something 7x times. Don't know if I would say 7x but it definitely helps. Once again don't blindly rewrite/copy actively think!

Once you're done with section or overall or whatever quiz yourself! Either have someone else do it or do it yourself. If you are doing it yourself read say the heading and coverup text (or just don't look at it) and recall what you should know. Then read over the information below and pick out what you don't remember and think about it. For whatever reason once you've been asked something and don't know it, but get answer you remember. If you do it with partner you learn both ways. When you ask a question you get a response some of which you may not know. Or if you are asked something they will tell you whatever you left out that they know. Go over old tests to quiz yourself and see how questions are asked and what is covered and how in depth it is covered. Focus accordingly. Then go over whatever you are weak on!

This is what I (try) to do, seems to be workin so far! :)
I do the EXACT same things as you and its working extremely well. I still don't understand how I remember things so much better when I write them down in my own words, but for some reason it just works. The only thing I will add is that I use stupid associations/mnemonics for some things that just aren't conducive to reasoning out (ie cytogenetics and characteristics of the laundry list of NHL's or differentiating between individual drugs in a class of drugs). The mnemonics that you make up yourself end up being the best ones that really stick.

If your school has learning objectives, write out detailed answers to them and quiz yourself.

write your own quiz questions.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I am going to try to be more focused on what I am doing when I study. A lot of times when I try to read anatomy stuff, it doesn't sink in because it's so boring. I'm sure there's a way to make sense out of it though! :) After all, there has to be a logical reason for the body to be put together the way it is. I am so happy I don't go to a school were gross anatomy is all you take first sememster! I don't think I ever would have made it through! (we have an overview anatomy course first semester, then we do more here and there as it comes up when we are studying a system)

I would suggest getting a text on Applied Behavior Analysis and the techniques it uses for memorization. Very helpful, but it certainly takes some practice. I took a class on the topic for my Psych requirements, and I found the data on its implementation quite impressive.

I've been thinking about this alot as my major method of studying in college was flashcards . . . the process of making them and then going thru them helped alot, but I think the volume of info in med school is going to be too high for this to make sense time-wise. Has anyone used mind-maps in their med school study strategy. I read about them and thought it would be an interesting way to rewrite your notes actively, but would love to know if anyone has had success with a similar strategy.