Memorizing Amino Acid Structures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanguinee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who has taken the new MCAT -- do we need to memorize structures? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, yes. Though they might not test you directly on an amino acid, you are most likely going to have to distinguish structures of amino acids, so I would be put that at the top of my list for things to memorize.

It's important not only to memorize the structures but also the three- and single-letter codes.

For anyone who has taken the new MCAT -- do we need to memorize structures? Thanks!

for the new MCAT, you sure do. I had several questions on my MCAT regarding AA structure, chemistry and naming. In addition, every student I've had since 2015 has reported similar.

Priority #1 side chain structure/property; full name
Priority #2 3 letter abbreviation
Priority #3 1 letter abbreviation

In reality, Priority 2/3 are right behind 1, and its not much extra effort so better to know it all. All evidence also shows that still not necessary to memorize is the Codon to AA table.

good luck and keep studying!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you have to memorize the amino acids.

I used this youtube video to help me memorize the amino acids. I only had to write them out a couple of times to have them fully memorized.

Reactions: 1 user