Memorizing Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpta1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program starts in August and I'm trying to review some basic anatomy before we start. I just wanted to get an idea of how deep you guys had to learn for blood supply? Was it the major artieries and veins, or did you also have to know the really tiny ones in the hands and feet, for example. I'm not trying to memorize those but just wanted to peace of mind on whether I'd need to know those eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

It may totally depend on the program and professor and what they care about. For my program's anatomy course, we needed to know some of the little ones- eg in the hand, needed to be able to draw and label common palmar digital, deep palmar arterial arch, proper palmar metacarpal, dorsal carpal arch, dorsal metacarpal, dorsal digital, and dorsal branches of proper palmer digital arteries. After the anatomy test, however, I haven't seen or needed to ID anything in the upper extremity smaller than the radial and ulnar arteries, and I'm copying the arteries of the hand off of my notes, not spewing them from memory- I've literally never used that knowledge in any other part of my program or in any clinical.

My program starts in August and I'm trying to review some basic anatomy before we start. I just wanted to get an idea of how deep you guys had to learn for blood supply? Was it the major artieries and veins, or did you also have to know the really tiny ones in the hands and feet, for example. I'm not trying to memorize those but just wanted to peace of mind on whether I'd need to know those eventually.
Some tiny blood vessels will have to be memorized for either anatomy or cadavers lab. After those classes passed, I was never tested on them again and never needed to use that information.

We had to know all the tiny guys. Haven't needed it since. It wasn't a major driver of the course, but we had to know them and they were fair game on exams and practicals. I wouldn't bother right now if all you're doing is prepping for school. Focus on the major scaffolding & let your prof fill in the details that they want you to know (orrrr just take the time off and enjoy the summer! This is your last big opportunity to relax for 3 years!).