Memorizing Numbers for Criteria

Started by Milotic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Milotic

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, MS3 in Internal Medicine. No matter how many times I go over the criteria, there are so many rules for "if the thyroid nodule is >1cm do XYZ." "If the lung nodule is <8mm just wait" etc etc.

Is there a good way to remember all of these number cutoffs for the shelf/Step2? I couldn't really find a good mnemonic online, which is surprising because a lot of criteria already use mnemonics like CURB-65 etc.

Thanks!!
 
Hey all, MS3 in Internal Medicine. No matter how many times I go over the criteria, there are so many rules for "if the thyroid nodule is >1cm do XYZ." "If the lung nodule is <8mm just wait" etc etc.

Is there a good way to remember all of these number cutoffs for the shelf/Step2? I couldn't really find a good mnemonic online, which is surprising because a lot of criteria already use mnemonics like CURB-65 etc.

Thanks!!
Time and repetition. QBank practice questions, lots of them, should drill the stuff in. And I'd use UpToDate alongside your studies.
 
Agreed, time and repetition. When in doubt:

<0.8 cm = you're fine
1.0+ cm = biopsy/further imaging
2.0+ cm = cancer

Tons of exceptions of course (non-functioning adrenal nodules <3 cm are likely benign and don't require surgical evaluation). What currently ****s me up is remember different lab value thresholds for different criteria (BUN > 19 for CURB-65, BUN > 25 for Ranson/BISAP). You just have to anki those until they're carved into your skull unfortunately.

For the purposes of shelves the guidelines you have to know are fairly limited: CURB-65, Fleischner, thyroid nodules, Light's criteria (not modified), GCS, and adrenal masses are the only ones that come to mind at the moment. Even for surgery, I've never seen a question that required you to actually know how to score LRINEC, RANSON/BISAP, or PSI. In the hospital, you can just use your phone. The closest thing to an obscure guideline that I came across on the shelf was knowing the threshold for surgical resection of metastatic colon cancer (sub-centimeter met in the right hepatic lobe).
 
Last edited: