Memphis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eheaps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an interview at SCO on Monday. I'm flying into Memphis tomorrow was wondering any advice on some good stuff to check out for those of you who are in Memphis or have visited there. Should be arriving around noon so I have a good portion of the day tomorrow. I think I'm staying in the downtown area at the comfort inn but I will be by myself :( Anyway just looking for a couple things to kill some time and check out Memphis culture! Maybe a good/cheap bbq place? :)

Members don't see this ad.

eatabigfoot.com

its in downtown memphis.

order the sasquatch burger. its free if you finish it in under an hour. :highfive:

The BBQ shop was pretty good, I walked there from SCO cuz i didnt have a car.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo for the BBQ Shop.

correction- eatatbigfoot.com sry

aww, sorry I didn't see this in time or I would have posted some recommendations! I might have seen you today, I got stuck on the elevator with an interview group (ok, not STUCK, you are not aliens or anything!) this morning. I also stole a cookie from Nancy, the lady at the admissions desk. :D

LOL @ the Sasquatch Burger's hall of shame!

@JMU, I have no idea if I bumped into you but I was the guy in a group with two other gals and one mom. Ben was our tour guide, nice guy.

@JMU, I have no idea if I bumped into you but I was the guy in a group with two other gals and one mom. Ben was our tour guide, nice guy.

Yup, I ran into Ben's group!! What did you think of your interview day?

Haha that's so weird, when you find out you saw someone you know but you don't actually know lol. Anyways, interview day went very well. I enjoyed the tour very much. Didn't have much to compare the facilities to since all I've been to is Western and theirs isn't built yet! The interview itself was kind of odd as he only really asked me two questions (Why optometry, why SCO). After that it was mostly conversing and talking about SCO I threw some questions at him and such. We'll see what happens. I would definitely consider it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about living in Memphis as it would be radical change for me (from NJ and even UMD) but I may not be opposed, I'll get to that if I get accepted haha.

(from NJ and even UMD) but I may not be opposed, I'll get to that if I get accepted haha.

Hey, I'm from New Jersey, too!! :D Well, I don't live there anymore, but I was raised there. Where in NJ are you from? I'm from Edison.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha that's so weird, when you find out you saw someone you know but you don't actually know lol. Anyways, interview day went very well. I enjoyed the tour very much. Didn't have much to compare the facilities to since all I've been to is Western and theirs isn't built yet! The interview itself was kind of odd as he only really asked me two questions (Why optometry, why SCO). After that it was mostly conversing and talking about SCO I threw some questions at him and such. We'll see what happens. I would definitely consider it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about living in Memphis as it would be radical change for me (from NJ and even UMD) but I may not be opposed, I'll get to that if I get accepted haha.

Oh I totally understand it being a radical change. I went to JMU (in case you couldn't tell, haha) and Memphis is a huge difference from living in the mountains, or even from my hometown which is right outside of Richmond. But I live out in the suburbs, it's not that different out here. Who interviewed you?

Dr. Lievens interviewed me. Mike Robertson did my file review thing at the beginning of the day, he asked a few "interview"type questions as well. Dr. Lievens is a really great guy told me a lot of good stuff

Hey, I'm from New Jersey, too!! :D Well, I don't live there anymore, but I was raised there. Where in NJ are you from? I'm from Edison.

Im from Jersey City... :)

Just out of curiosity, does it snow in Memphis?

Just out of curiosity, does it snow in Memphis?

From what I've heard, not really. Maybe once or twice, and even then it doesn't really accumulate. One of our professors was joking about it and he was saying that even if you only see one pathetic little snowflake that counts as "snow". :laugh:

From what I've heard, not really. Maybe once or twice, and even then it doesn't really accumulate. One of our professors was joking about it and he was saying that even if you only see one pathetic little snowflake that counts as "snow". :laugh:

i hope it snows in january, never seen the stuff before :xf:

i hope it snows in january, never seen the stuff before :xf:

I saw three snowflakes today. And last week I saw a couple...

You saw snowflakes yesterday????
Where was I?
Oh, yeah, that's right, studying at home all day and night.

BTW- Last year in March it snowed a ridiculous amount for Memphis..... enough to go sledding even with West Virginia standards. And then it melted and the river flooded. Good times.

You saw snowflakes yesterday????
Where was I?
Oh, yeah, that's right, studying at home all day and night.

BTW- Last year in March it snowed a ridiculous amount for Memphis..... enough to go sledding even with West Virginia standards. And then it melted and the river flooded. Good times.

I heard about that!!! One of my friends interviewed then.

OH. I am putting it all together... we came out here to look at houses one weekend in March and the river was flooded and it was disgusting and cold and wet outside. Must have been from that snow!!

I heard about that!!! One of my friends interviewed then.

OH. I am putting it all together... we came out here to look at houses one weekend in March and the river was flooded and it was disgusting and cold and wet outside. Must have been from that snow!!

Yes, I remember the weekend you came down... Gene talked about it (where is he anyway, I haven't read him on here in a while).

The river eventually went down and all the trees across the river didn't have any leaves on the bottom so it was like a straight line of green and brown all along the banks. Craziness!

Seeing how this thread turning into a snow discussion...I realized I forgot to ask while I was down there...what's the weather like in Memphis year round? What's the coldest it gets? warmest? lots of precipitation at all? compared to northeast lol

Coldest since I've been here was in the teens. But that's an anomaly. Generally around the 32 degree mark. Lots of ice storms.

Summer is a different story. Highest since I've been here... 108 (that's more than just one day, folks). Heat index was 110 or so. Generally in the 90s.

Spring and Fall are about the same. Lots of thunderstorms if it does rain. Ranges from 55-80 most of the time.

That's just since I've been here though- I'm well into my third year here in the midsouth.

My interview is coming up in jan. I'm driving up so I'll be staying the whole weekend, any locals or recent interviewees have suggestions on how to spend my free time?

I'm hoping I see some snow btw:xf:

Seeing how this thread turning into a snow discussion...I realized I forgot to ask while I was down there...what's the weather like in Memphis year round? What's the coldest it gets? warmest? lots of precipitation at all? compared to northeast lol

When I moved down here in May, it rained for what seemed like a month straight. I think in July the heat index was over 105 for at least 7 days in a row.. typical southern weather I guess. It's the same way in Virginia.

All the first-years that came here from FL are whining about the cold right now :smuggrin:

All the first-years that came here from FL are whining about the cold right now :smuggrin:

I know some ppl from FL here at UMD and they always complain about the cold. When I went out to Cali for an interview at WU there were a couple girls there who had never seen snow before...

its 62 out right now and cold