men in Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
would i rather have a man or a woman do my yearly prostate exam?....whichever one has smaller hands:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but for a prostate exam you don't need the whole hand but rather just two fingers ...... so the questions is not who has smaller hands but rather which one has shorter nails !!!:p

Yeah but for a prostate exam you don't need the whole hand but rather just two fingers ...... so the questions is not who has smaller hands but rather which one has shorter nails !!!:p

that's pretty harsh dude.... i'm pretty sure you just need ONE finger to do a prostate exam. :)

well you need two to spread the butt cheeks :idea:.. but agree .. palpation needs to be with only one !!!

Just started my OB/GYN rotation, and during orientation the doc made a big push for the men in the group to consider it as a career. He even said that men get special consideration during the interview process...

I guess there's a reverse affirmitive action going on. :laugh:

My program is typical: the old guard is mostly male, but just about all the attendings 40 or younger are female, and there is only one male resident.

I asked one of my male attendings for his opinion on this matter. He said that it is difficult to compete in big cities and that he would not be in private practice in our city, San Antonio. He used to be in private practice in a small town (50,000) and he said he did very well since there were not as many options for patients as far as female docs.

In addition to the fact that men make up less than 25% of residents (I bet the real number is less than 10% over the last 3-4 years) its also a fact that the men who do get into OB/GYN are much more likely to be FMGs. Out of the male OB residents at my home program, at least 90% are FMGs. And this is at one of the best/largest medical centers in the country too with a top 10 OB program.

There is massive affirmative action in effect for men.