Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How hard is it to dress appropriately for an interview?

+1

When dressing for an interview, keep it simple stupid (KISS). Either a white or a blue shirt looks good on literally every male on the planet (too pale to pull of white? go blue...). The traditional logic behind it can be found at http://putthison.com/post/754228450/blueshirtsorwhiteshirts (not my blog), with a better explanation of stripes at http://putthison.com/post/29484681861/patterned-and-textured-shirts-as-long-time

Want to go beyond blue and white? Try this one on for size http://putthison.com/post/32202336269/beyond-blue-and-white-its-been-said-often-enough

Disclaimer: I am not saying pastels, checks, ginghams, pinks, lavenders, etc can't look good. I'm just saying that for an interview it's better to play it safe. And as bitching as you might think your shirt is in solid red, green, grey, purple or whatever other pantone color you've found, the fact is, your silk (tie) should be the primary source of color and you shirt and suit should be complementing it in the background.
 
You really think a purple shirt and tie is too crazy for an interview?

I dunno how the color of shirt and tie could possibly make a nice suit look unprofessional but I guess

Yes, it's completely inappropriate. You're interviewing for medical school, not for the cast of "young and dangerous"
 
You really think a purple shirt and tie is too crazy for an interview?

I dunno how the color of shirt and tie could possibly make a nice suit look unprofessional but I guess

If you'd wear it to a nightclub, don't wear it to an interview (unless you're me and don't mind being the dude wearing OCBDs at night).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, it's completely inappropriate. You're interviewing for medical school, not for the cast of "young and dangerous"
Lol I was actually going for more of a chuck bass look then young and dangerous 😛

Chuck_bass_ed_westwick_style_icon_inspiration_style_fashion_menswear_art_fashion_trends_must_have_www_izandrew_blogspot_com_izandrew012.jpg

ed_westwick_black_suit_pink_ti.jpg


Can't see how either of these aren't professional.
I mean he is a billionaire businessman on tv haha
 
The color palette of the second look is perhaps ok although the suit appears ill- fitting. Some people would object to the tie although I'd prolly be ok with it. The first fit is just not appropiate; the tie is too thin and I'd avoid pin stripes or that shade of shirt. Interviews fall into the category of very conservative business dress. Although I tend to be a bit more fashion forward than some of the traditionalists, neither of these looks would quality.
 
Lol I was actually going for more of a chuck bass look then young and dangerous 😛

Chuck_bass_ed_westwick_style_icon_inspiration_style_fashion_menswear_art_fashion_trends_must_have_www_izandrew_blogspot_com_izandrew012.jpg

ed_westwick_black_suit_pink_ti.jpg


Can't see how either of these aren't professional.
I mean he is a billionaire businessman on tv haha

Not even close to the color you posted in the first picture. In my book this is an appropriate (but somewhat advanced) look, and the shirt is lavender, not deep purple. The first look is a little more hip and I would also be ok with it, but most older interviewers would definitely take notice.

You're right, he does play a billionaire businessman. And most of his looks are about projecting power (as is true in much of finance). Contrast colors, power reds, big thick knots, french cuffs, peak lapels, etc. In an interview your goal is the opposite, you're not trying to overpower the interviewer, you're trying to look professional, capable, and you certainly want to look like you'll fit well on the team. Don't try to peacock or 'stand out' too much, if you have a well tailored suit and an appropriate shirt/tie you're already going to stand out as one of the only ones in the pack who knows how to dress.
 
Not even close to the color you posted in the first picture. In my book this is an appropriate (but somewhat advanced) look, and the shirt is lavender, not deep purple. The first look is a little more hip and I would also be ok with it, but most older interviewers would definitely take notice.

You're right, he does play a billionaire businessman. And most of his looks are about projecting power (as is true in much of finance). Contrast colors, power reds, big thick knots, french cuffs, peak lapels, etc. In an interview your goal is the opposite, you're not trying to overpower the interviewer, you're trying to look professional, capable, and you certainly want to look like you'll fit well on the team. Don't try to peacock or 'stand out' too much, if you have a well tailored suit and an appropriate shirt/tie you're already going to stand out as one of the only ones in the pack who knows how to dress.

Yea I think you guys are right about playing it conservative, I guess its all about the audience, and since adcoms are usually older men its best to play it safe.

So my interview outfit choices now are

Black suit + white shirt + navy/red/black tie
Black suit + pale blue shirt + navy/yellow/black tie

May-12_2011_0006_projecting-600x337.jpg


I know black suits are considered too formal by some but they are standard color suit to me and I enjoy the slim, sharp look they offer.

It just sucks that my custom tailored jacket won't be here sooner, I have to wear a "decent" fitting jacket to my first two interviews.
 
Black suits are suboptimal, but I guess you play the cards you're dealt. I'd go light blue and navy.

Yea I think you guys are right about playing it conservative, I guess its all about the audience, and since adcoms are usually older men its best to play it safe.

So my interview outfit choices now are

Black suit + white shirt + navy/red/black tie
Black suit + pale blue shirt + navy/yellow/black tie

May-12_2011_0006_projecting-600x337.jpg


I know black suits are considered too formal by some but they are standard color suit to me and I enjoy the slim, sharp look they offer.

It just sucks that my custom tailored jacket won't be here sooner, I have to wear a "decent" fitting jacket to my first two interviews.
 
Black suits are suboptimal, but I guess you play the cards you're dealt. I'd go light blue and navy.

I just can't imagine wearing a blue suit outside of an interview setting. Gray suits are okay but I feel they are generally harder to work with.

Obviously this is a thread specific to interview attire, but if Im going to shell out 400 dollar or more on a suit, well then its going to be something I can see myself wearing a lot.
 
I just can't imagine wearing a blue suit outside of an interview setting. Gray suits are okay but I feel they are generally harder to work with.

Obviously this is a thread specific to interview attire, but if Im going to shell out 400 dollar or more on a suit, well then its going to be something I can see myself wearing a lot.

I think the "light blue and navy" comment were in regards to shirt and tie choice, respectively.

Not sure what you're picturing with a "blue" suit, but a navy suit should absolutely be a staple of any adult male's wardrobe. My navy suit gets twice as much use as my charcoal suit. I (and most other people) would argue that a navy suit should probably be your very first suit purchase, as it is probably the most versatile (charcoal is a fine choice for a first suit too, though).
 
+1

When dressing for an interview, keep it simple stupid (KISS). Either a white or a blue shirt looks good on literally every male on the planet (too pale to pull of white? go blue...). The traditional logic behind it can be found at http://putthison.com/post/754228450/blueshirtsorwhiteshirts (not my blog), with a better explanation of stripes at http://putthison.com/post/29484681861/patterned-and-textured-shirts-as-long-time

Want to go beyond blue and white? Try this one on for size http://putthison.com/post/32202336269/beyond-blue-and-white-its-been-said-often-enough

Disclaimer: I am not saying pastels, checks, ginghams, pinks, lavenders, etc can't look good. I'm just saying that for an interview it's better to play it safe. And as bitching as you might think your shirt is in solid red, green, grey, purple or whatever other pantone color you've found, the fact is, your silk (tie) should be the primary source of color and you shirt and suit should be complementing it in the background.

Foo is the guy who influenced my decision to only wear white or light blue shirts.
 
I think the "light blue and navy" comment were in regards to shirt and tie choice, respectively.

Not sure what you're picturing with a "blue" suit, but a navy suit should absolutely be a staple of any adult male's wardrobe. My navy suit gets twice as much use as my charcoal suit. I (and most other people) would argue that a navy suit should probably be your very first suit purchase, as it is probably the most versatile (charcoal is a fine choice for a first suit too, though).

Perhaps its a regional thing, I just dont see many navy suits here. There are plenty of gray suits here, and thats honestly my next suit purchase.

I just like the look of black. I think its sleek, stylish and powerful. Something you could wear to a wedding, funeral, dinner/cocktail party, upscale lounge/club, ceremony, etc.

Gray/Charcoal is great but much more casual, which can be a great thing and makes it more versatile but I don't feel it demands as much attention as a black suit. Thats just me tho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perhaps its a regional thing, I just dont see many navy suits here. There are plenty of gray suits here, and thats honestly my next suit purchase.

I just like the look of black. I think its sleek, stylish and powerful. Something you could wear to a wedding, funeral, dinner/cocktail party, upscale lounge/club, ceremony, etc.

Gray/Charcoal is great but much more casual, which can be a great thing and makes it more versatile but I don't feel it demands as much attention as a black suit. Thats just me tho.

If you want to make the mistake of wearing a black suit everywhere, I guess I can stop you. It's your funeral.

The only attention a black suit (not worn to a funeral) commands is "look how little I know about dressing well."
 
If you want to make the mistake of wearing a black suit everywhere, I guess I can stop you. It's your funeral.

The only attention a black suit (not worn to a funeral) commands is "look how little I know about dressing well."

I guess we can agree to disagree.

There are some colors that have no business being on a suit jacket: brown, purple, red, etc.

Black is certainly not one of them and while it should not be the only suit color you wear, it is pretty fashionable in just about every instance.

While being black makes it more formal there is a variety of under shirts, ties, and vests you wear with it to make it much more casual. Its entirely possible to pull off a black suit without looking like you're attending a funeral.
 
I guess we can agree to disagree.

There are some colors that have no business being on a suit jacket: brown, purple, red, etc.

Black is certainly not one of them and while it should not be the only suit color you wear, it is pretty fashionable in just about every instance.

While being black makes it more formal there is a variety of under shirts, ties, and vests you wear with it to make it much more casual. Its entirely possible to pull off a black suit without looking like you're attending a funeral.

??????????????????????????????????
 
I guess we can agree to disagree.

There are some colors that have no business being on a suit jacket: brown, purple, red, etc.

Black is certainly not one of them and while it should not be the only suit color you wear, it is pretty fashionable in just about every instance.

While being black makes it more formal there is a variety of under shirts, ties, and vests you wear with it to make it much more casual. Its entirely possible to pull off a black suit without looking like you're attending a funeral.

That's just not true. If you want to knowingly break the rules, fine, but you're just being ignorant of business formal standards.
 
Hey guys. I already have a nice conservative solid Charcoal suit I plan on wearing with my black Cole Haan cap toes. Most of my other suits are pretty fashion forward because I worked in a setting that it was appropriate (I'm not saying they were hipster like slim fit suits, but definitely more fitted than a conservative suit). Also the colors are not particularly standard for interview.

I have an opportunity to purchase this Ralph Lauren wool/cashmere blend suit for a very good deal (I mean like too good to be true, call in a favor type good deal). I personally like the style, and it is far more conservative than my other navy suits ( I generally don't wear navy, mostly shades of gray, and a few cotton lighter colors for the summer). My question, would you consider these pinstripes subtle enough? I've worked as a professional for so long, and haven't had to think twice about putting a personal flare on my suits (which I know is different from interview rules). When you are the one closing the business deal, it's OK to wear the power suit but I undestand not with interviews.

Honestly, this process has been so expensive for my wife and I, especially with her graduate school and interviews for work too, that I can't justify purchasing what I really want-so in short, should I only wear my nice solid charcoal suit-or should I mix this one in?
bf9MK.jpg


Also, here is a few more pictures of the suit at Macy's, but the pic I posted was taken up close and more true to real life I think.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ere?ID=150018&CategoryID=17788&LinkType=PDPZ1
 
Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with wearing fitted suits, as long as they fit well. Conservative doesn't mean ill-fitting. I would wear the charcoal suit.

Hey guys. I already have a nice Charcoal suit I plan on wearing with my black Cole Haan cap toes. Most of my other suits are pretty fashion forward because I worked in a setting that it was appropriate (I'm not saying they were hipster like slim fit suits, but definitely more fitted than a conservative suit). Also the colors are not particularly standard for interview.

I have an opportunity to purchase this Ralph Lauren wool/cashmere blend suit for a very good deal (I mean like too good to be true, call in a favor type good deal). I personally like the style, and it is far more conservative than my other navy suits. My question, would you consider these pinstripes subtle enough? I've worked as a professional for so long, and haven't had to think twice about putting a personal flare on my suits (which I know is different from interview rules). When you are the one closing the business deal, it's OK to wear the power suit but I undestand not with interviews.

Honestly, this process has been so expensive for my wife and I, especially with her graduate school and interviews for work too, that I can't justify purchasing what I really want-so in short, should I only wear my nice solid charcoal suit-or should I mix this one in?
bf9MK.jpg
 
My plan A is the charcoal, but would this work as a back up or would you say the stripes are too pronounced? I like to travel with two suits just in case-Plus in the event of a dry cleaning mishap it's good to have a fall back. If the stripes are too much, I may just suck up the extra cost and get a plain navy suit-I think the navy suit I own has too much sheen for an interview.
 
That's just not true. If you want to knowingly break the rules, fine, but you're just being ignorant of business formal standards.

I acknowledged that black is often seen as too formal for interview settings.

I think more important then following the rules though, is feeling comfortable and confident in what you wear, and I feel more comfortable in black.
 
My plan A is the charcoal, but would this work as a back up or would you say the stripes are too pronounced? I like to travel with two suits just in case-Plus in the event of a dry cleaning mishap it's good to have a fall back. If the stripes are too much, I may just suck up the extra cost and get a plain navy suit-I think the navy suit I own has too much sheen for an interview.

Not sure if you are super into brands but you can get a nice navy tailored suit at www.worldofalfa.com for around 145.

Black Lapel also does custom tailored suits but those go for around 345 for just the blazer.

Indochino has some blazers in a similar price range as that macys one
 
There's nothing wrong with wearing fitted suits, as long as they fit well. Conservative doesn't mean ill-fitting. I would wear the charcoal suit.

PS thanks for the response. I know previously on this forum I've criticized some of the more expensive advice, mostly due to responding late at night when tired and because I grew up with 0 money and know how it feels to not even be able to keep up with what everyone else thinks is "standard."

But, the wisdom on this forum is outstanding and the advice generally spot on for official interview attire. In fact, after thinking it over, I decided to wear my cap toe oxford's instead of the more casual shoe I originally had planned to wear.
 
My plan A is the charcoal, but would this work as a back up or would you say the stripes are too pronounced? I like to travel with two suits just in case-Plus in the event of a dry cleaning mishap it's good to have a fall back. If the stripes are too much, I may just suck up the extra cost and get a plain navy suit-I think the navy suit I own has too much sheen for an interview.

I wouldn't wear that suit to an interview but that's me.
 
Not sure if you are super into brands but you can get a nice navy tailored suit at www.worldofalfa.com for around 145.

Black Lapel also does custom tailored suits but those go for around 345 for just the blazer.

Indochino has some blazers in a similar price range as that macys one

Very nice option. I'm not super into brands, I just like quality fabric and generally refuse to wear polyester. I've purchased custom suits from SFTailors before, and they have pretty good deals, but this actually seems like a less costly alternative. I will look into this, I just am able to get this Lauren suit for sub $100 from a tailor-I'll spare you the details but it would sell on the floor for more than twice what I'd be paying.

edit:

@Drizzt That's what I kind of figured, but wasn't sure if it was just because I am not used to pin stripes. Is it the stripes-or the style in general?
 
I acknowledged that black is often seen as too formal for interview settings.

I think more important then following the rules though, is feeling comfortable and confident in what you wear, and I feel more comfortable in black.

That's a ridiculous argument, I'd feel more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt; that doesn't mean it's appropriate for an interview. When I was a hiring manager in consulting, I'd end interviews immediately for people who didn't dress strict business formal; if you don't wear something appropriate for an interview how could you be trusted to dress appropriately around clients? Most med school adcoms won't be as strict, but dressing appropriately will help you stand out from the crowd of poorly dressed clones in black suits. A candidate dressing in that manner will automatically be mediocre in my book and have to prove that they're worth considering.
 
Very nice option. I'm not super into brands, I just like quality fabric and generally refuse to wear polyester. I've purchased custom suits from SFTailors before, and they have pretty good deals, but this actually seems like a less costly alternative. I will look into this, I just am able to get this Lauren suit for sub $100 from a tailor-I'll spare you the details but it would sell on the floor for more than twice what I'd be paying.

edit:

@Drizzt That's what I kind of figured, but wasn't sure if it was just because I am not used to pin stripes. Is it the stripes-or the style in general?

Just not a fan of the stripes, colorway, cut, etc.
 
That's a ridiculous argument, I'd feel more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt; that doesn't mean it's appropriate for an interview. When I was a hiring manager in consulting, I'd end interviews immediately for people who didn't dress strict business formal; if you don't wear something appropriate for an interview how could you be trusted to dress appropriately around clients? Most med school adcoms won't be as strict, but dressing appropriately will help you stand out from the crowd of poorly dressed clones in black suits. A candidate dressing in that manner will automatically be mediocre in my book and have to prove that they're worth considering.

Do you consider dark charcoal to still stand out as black? This is pretty close to the color of the jacket I am getting custom tailored. If you were to ask me I'd say thats closer to black than to gray.

image1222.jpg


Im just wondering where the line from a conservative gray goes to being too formal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you consider dark charcoal to still stand out as black? This is pretty close to the color of the jacket I am getting custom tailored. If you were to ask me I'd say thats closer to black than to gray.

image1222.jpg


Im just wondering where the line from a conservative gray goes to being too formal.

Black is black man, its very very different from charcoal. I don't know why this is hard to grasp...it's an overpowering color that looks good with very few other colors and looks horrible during the day. Black + yellow rarely ever looks good.

I have a black suit and a tuxedo, but those are reserved for either funerals, clubbing, or black tie events.

Black suit + red/purple/whatever the **** weird shirt is not professional attire for an interview. I don't know why your parents never taught you this, but it can be rectified by a 10 minute session with google.
 
There's nothing wrong with wearing fitted suits, as long as they fit well. Conservative doesn't mean ill-fitting. I would wear the charcoal suit.

Meh, I get what you're saying but I wore a similar suit (Canali charcoal w very very thin blue pin stripes) to all my med school interviews and got stellar results.I don't think I'd ever look askance at an interviewee for wearing pinstripes provided they weren't verging on power-pinstripes, and I don't think anyone else on the adcom here would either. OP, I'd say if you can get that suit for as much of a steal as you say you can, I'd go for it (for life, as well).

FWIW, I'm partially basing my advice here off of the fact that you're clearly comfortable wearing suits, which goes a long way towards seeming less formal in them.
 
Meh, I get what you're saying but I wore a similar suit (Canali charcoal w very very thin blue pin stripes) to all my med school interviews and got stellar results.I don't think I'd ever look askance at an interviewee for wearing pinstripes provided they weren't verging on power-pinstripes, and I don't think anyone else on the adcom here would either. OP, I'd say if you can get that suit for as much of a steal as you say you can, I'd go for it (for life, as well).

FWIW, I'm partially basing my advice here off of the fact that you're clearly comfortable wearing suits, which goes a long way towards seeming less formal in them.

Those aren't subtle pinstripes, though, IMO.
 
Those aren't subtle pinstripes, though, IMO.

Fair enough (everyone has different tastes and thresholds). For my own personal curiosity, do you have any examples of pinstripes you consider truly subtle? After being in school for four years I've lost a little bit of touch with a professional environment. My personal exposure now seems like it's largely between two extremes (SF, Thick as Thieves types) and interviewing prospective students (for most of whom subtlety seems like a lost cause - the last 'pinstripe' I saw was closer to chalk stripe in width so compared to that the OP would look great, in my book).
 
Fair enough (everyone has different tastes and thresholds). For my own personal curiosity, do you have any examples of pinstripes you consider truly subtle? After being in school for four years I've lost a little bit of touch with a professional environment. My personal exposure now seems like it's largely between two extremes (SF, Thick as Thieves types) and interviewing prospective students (for most of whom subtlety seems like a lost cause - the last 'pinstripe' I saw was closer to chalk stripe in width so compared to that the OP would look great, in my book).

This would be a great example (and a great suit)

http://www.gilt.com/brand/caruso/product/143096288-caruso-shadow-stripe-suit
 

True, that's about as subtle as you can get without it being 100% textural. If your tastes are running that conservative with regard to cloth, how do you feel about pocket squares? I'm a straight/TV fold white linen guy, always, but when you were on an adcom would you have judged someone for going for a silk square (assuming it was cohesive with the rest of the outfit)? Or would you judge the white square?
 
True, that's about as subtle as you can get without it being 100% textural. If your tastes are running that conservative with regard to cloth, how do you feel about pocket squares? I'm a straight/TV fold white linen guy, always, but when you were on an adcom would you have judged someone for going for a silk square (assuming it was cohesive with the rest of the outfit)? Or would you judge the white square?

I think pocket squares at interviews need to be either white cotton or white linen with a TV fold. A white silk square would be really pushing it and I'd prolly lol at someone wearing a silk puff.
 
Ok after further consideration and following the advice of you guys on here. I have decided to change the custom suit Im ordering to charcoal.

So here is what the suit jacket looks like, with slight variations, my lapel is a little larger and sharper angles.

2gvpk44.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ok after further consideration and following the advice of you guys on here. I have decided to change the custom suit Im ordering to charcoal.

So here is what the suit jacket looks like, with slight variations, my lapel is a little larger and sharper angles.

2gvpk44.jpg

Good call, that'll look great man.
 
Ok after further consideration and following the advice of you guys on here. I have decided to change the custom suit Im ordering to charcoal.

So here is what the suit jacket looks like, with slight variations, my lapel is a little larger and sharper angles.

2gvpk44.jpg

Nice... Is that pocket really grey tho?
 
Is it just me, or are gray suits for geriatrics?

Also, is the difference between charcoal and black even noticeable?
 
This might have been answered but I do not have time to scroll through 60 pages...

1. Skinny tie acceptable? Better?
- I love them

2. Split down the middle on back on 2 slits on both sides?

3. How many pockets?
 
This might have been answered but I do not have time to scroll through 60 pages...

1. Skinny tie acceptable? Better?
- I love them

2. Split down the middle on back on 2 slits on both sides?

3. How many pockets?

Don't go narrower than 2.25" (and only if you're rail thin)
 
Nice... Is that pocket really grey tho?

Yea I originally had the pocket with a fabric contrast because I thought it added some a nice touch but I quickly rescinded the idea.

So below is the final product, front and back. Im a big fan of the lapel, I hope its not seen as too formal or trendy.

1gkfub.jpg


And I also went out and returned my other black coat and luckily was able to find a pretty good deal on a complete Calvin Klein navy suit for $180 total including tailoring.

So I gotta say you guys definitely convinced me, though I still think black suits are sweet lol and will definitely stay in my collection.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I originally had the pocket with a fabric contrast because I thought it added some a nice touch but I quickly rescinded the idea.

So below is the final product, front and back. Im a big fan of the lapel, I hope its not seen as too formal or trendy.

1gkfub.jpg

I wouldn't go with peak lapel... But otherwise it looks good.
 
This might have been answered but I do not have time to scroll through 60 pages...

1. Skinny tie acceptable? Better?
- I love them

2. Split down the middle on back on 2 slits on both sides?

3. How many pockets?

1. If your lapels are also skinny sure, otherwise it may throw the proportions of your suit off if they're drastically different.

2. side vents are becoming more common and i personally like them more.

3. two flap pockets, not patch or jetted or hacking pockets. ticket pocket, if you even know what that is, strictly optional.
 
1. If your lapels are also skinny sure, otherwise it may throw the proportions of your suit off if they're drastically different.

2. side vents are becoming more common and i personally like them more.

3. two flap pockets, not patch or jetted or hacking pockets. ticket pocket, if you even know what that is, strictly optional.

Personally I'd skip the ticket pocket.
 
I wouldn't go with peak lapel... But otherwise it looks good.

Yea I felt like the peak lapel might be too strong but damn I just love the way it looks I could not resist lol. I had to throw my personality into the suit just a little.

Also I want to thank you for a lot of the advice you've put in this thread. I know we were butting heads earlier about black vs navy/charcoal but a lot of what you've said has been very helpful.

Also if you could offer me one quick tip. Like I said earlier I traded in my black jacket for a navy jacket so its kind of thrown me off for what I should wear now.

Im thinking navy jacket + white shirt + navy/red/black tie

I also was thinking a light purple tie but feel it might be too bold,
t0181.jpg

perhaps a bit darker.

I also have a nice pale blue shirt but Im not sure if thats too much blue.
 
I don't think the peak lapel is a deal- breaker but it makes the suit less versatile and traditionalists may frown on it. I don't think that tie is inappropriate with a white or light blue shirt but I'd prefer a more matte texture than that silk satin. Then again, purple is my favorite color so I'm a little biased.

Yea I felt like the peak lapel might be too strong but damn I just love the way it looks I could not resist lol. I had to throw my personality into the suit just a little.

Also I want to thank you for a lot of the advice you've put in this thread. I know we were butting heads earlier about black vs navy/charcoal but a lot of what you've said has been very helpful.

Also if you could offer me one quick tip. Like I said earlier I traded in my black jacket for a navy jacket so its kind of thrown me off for what I should wear now.

Im thinking navy jacket + white shirt + navy/red/black tie

I also was thinking a light purple tie but feel it might be too bold,
t0181.jpg

perhaps a bit darker.

I also have a nice pale blue shirt but Im not sure if thats too much blue.