Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'd like some opinions on cold weather gear. It's supposed to be snowing up until the day before the interview, and the day of should be upper thirties to mid forties. There's also lots of wind and maybe some rain included. I know that's not very chilly, but I currently lack any formal style winter gear and I currently only have my suit to wear. Any thoughts on jackets to wear over the suit? Or should I tough it out? I saw Glaushutte32 recommend a wool top coat up above. How much do those normally cost? What color would go well with a Navy Suit? Also, is it an option to wear not-so-nice shoes and then change to nicer shoes once inside? Thanks.

P.S., may have DO interviews up north later on in the year so purchasing a nice jacket to wear now and for future interviews is arguably necessary, plus I could use the jacket for the next 10 years or so.
 
Hey guys, I'd like some opinions on cold weather gear. It's supposed to be snowing up until the day before the interview, and the day of should be upper thirties to mid forties. There's also lots of wind and maybe some rain included. I know that's not very chilly, but I currently lack any formal style winter gear and I currently only have my suit to wear. Any thoughts on jackets to wear over the suit? Or should I tough it out? I saw Glaushutte32 recommend a wool top coat up above. How much do those normally cost? What color would go well with a Navy Suit? Also, is it an option to wear not-so-nice shoes and then change to nicer shoes once inside? Thanks.

P.S., may have DO interviews up north later on in the year so purchasing a nice jacket to wear now and for future interviews is arguably necessary, plus I could use the jacket for the next 10 years or so.

Check out topcoats from Mens Wearhouse or Jos A. Bank. You may find one on sale under $200. By the way, as a fair warning, be sure to try one on before purchasing it. You may have to buy a size smaller than your suit size because of how they are made. A full length coat should go no further than your knees while a 3/4-length should stop mid-thigh. Since you will wear it over a suit, wear your jacket to the store for trying them on. It should fit a little snug (not too tight) in the shoulders. Get someone to check to see if it looks like it fits if you aren't sure.

I personally don't believe it is all that important to care about matching overcoats, nor do I think the color matters for interviews. I would personally opt for either a camel or vicuna color coat. If money is no object, a nicer coat will cost you in the range of $400-600.

As for the shoes, that is up to you. I am a firm believer that the less you have to carry/keep up with, the better. If it were me, I would just wear my shoes even in the rain. The polish should repel water. Just be sure to avoid large puddles and bring an umbrella...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or find an overcoat on ebay. Seriously excellent quality for pennies on the dollar, and as @Mr Magpie notes, often barely worn.
Or also...try looking in a thrift shop, Good Will, Salvation Army store. You can pick up a great coat for next to nothing. I have friend who bought a very nice men's over coat for $15 at one of these stores. Many times they are very lightly worn...and often donated after an estate sale or something.
 
image.jpeg
Standard navy suit, brown shoes (I'm going to polish them, don't worry), brown belt, white shirt with stays. My tie is sort of collegiate stripe with navy, brown and white. Back to the conservative basics. Does this pass inspection?
 
View attachment 200090 Standard navy suit, brown shoes (I'm going to polish them, don't worry), brown belt, white shirt with stays. My tie is sort of collegiate stripe with navy, brown and white. Back to the conservative basics. Does this pass inspection?

Haha, I was going to say, the shoes look a bit worn, then I went back and re-read your post. I think it looks fine for the most part, but for some reason I'm not a huge fan of the tie. Maybe too many colors. Also I don't like striped ties, personally. But I'll let someone more experienced decide on it.
 
Haha, I was going to say, the shoes look a bit worn, then I went back and re-read your post. I think it looks fine for the most part, but for some reason I'm not a huge fan of the tie. Maybe too many colors. Also I don't like striped ties, personally. But I'll let someone more experienced decide on it.

Tie's not my favorite either, but it's entirely appropriate.
 
Tie's not my favorite either, but it's entirely appropriate.
I'm iffy about it, too. What about these options?
image.jpeg


I have longish (half past ears) wavy brown hair and brown eyes, if that helps. Sorry, haven't seen an episode of What Not To Wear in ages lol
 
Sorry - the striped one is the best. The plain blue is too plain. Red is too Donald Trump. Stripes are better than plaid.

If you're not happy with any of them and would feel more comfortable with a new tie, something in a dark red-to-wine color with a very small pattern or a nice texture would be my top pick for that suit and shirt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have something to say about ties.
Wear one. Not a bolo.
Avoid cartoon characters, words (of any type), depictions of medical discoveries or lab equipment, nontraditional textiles or knots you have invented yourself.
I've seen them all this cycle. I'd rather not see them again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have something to say about ties.
Wear one. Avoid bolos.
Avoid cartoon characters, words (of any type), depictions of medical discoveries or lab equipment, nontraditional textiles or knots you have invented yourself.

Bonus points though if you wear the school's colors for your tie. Harvard - crimson red, NYU- purple, LSU- Purple/gold, Vandy- black/gold, Duke- Blue, etc.
 
This falls under pandering but it is a full step below those listed.

Lol would this really be looked down upon?? I was only joking but couldn't see anything wrong with doing that. I'm female so was considering just now wearing something that had a pop of color (hair piece, shoes, bracelet, something like that???).
 
Lol would this really be looked down upon?? I was only joking but couldn't see anything wrong with doing that. I'm female so was considering wearing something that had a pop of color (hair piece, shoes, bracelet, something like that???).
It happens all the time. As long as it's a normal tie color and the applicant has attended the school, it's not that bad. Wearing the garish colors of the school at which you are interviewing, for no other reason, is pandering, however.
 
It happens all the time. As long as it's a normal tie color and the applicant has attended the school, it's not that bad. Wearing the garish colors of the school at which you are interviewing, for no other reason, is pandering, however.

Duly noted...

Will we get to hear about the new tie inventions you've seen recently?
 
Has anyone gotten a suit from SuitSupply? I've heard good things from Dappered, and they do look nice (after a trip to the tailor).
Suits_Blue_Plain_Athletic_P2529a_Suitsupply_Online_Store_1.jpg
I love my red tie. Takes a man to walk into an interview day with such a bright color.

Love wearing power red ties with a nice navy suit.
 
I also wore a navy suit/red tie to most of my interviews. Only saw one other person do it though.
I usually see two or three a week with a bright red tie. I recommend burgundy instead. Bright red looks too much like a politician! I'll still take it over any of the ones in my previous post, though...
 
I usually see two or three a week with a bright red tie. I recommend burgundy instead. Bright red looks too much like a politician! I'll still take it over any of the ones in my previous post, though...
I like burgundy too, but I think there are good reds that aren't the "Donald Trump tie" described on the previous page.


 
I have something to say about ties.
Wear one. Not a bolo.
Avoid cartoon characters, words (of any type), depictions of medical discoveries or lab equipment, nontraditional textiles or knots you have invented yourself.
I've seen them all this cycle. I'd rather not see them again.
cd6197e71630ba17cbece836f2486b06.jpg


Darn, I was really hoping to bust this baby out...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It happens all the time. As long as it's a normal tie color and the applicant has attended the school, it's not that bad. Wearing the garish colors of the school at which you are interviewing, for no other reason, is pandering, however.
Saw a TX applicant (undergrad and upbringing, I later found out) at a midwest interview wearing a tie with bright school colors and little mascots all over it...I couldn't believe it. :vomit:
 
Saw a TX applicant (undergrad and upbringing, I later found out) at a midwest interview wearing a tie with bright school colors and little mascots all over it...I couldn't believe it. :vomit:
I think a "What Not to Wear" thread with actual examples from the interview trail would be good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts?

woK6uC0.jpg


Would probably prefer a light blue shirt with this tie, but I've loved this tie for years.
 
Last edited:
What are thoughts on wearing dark brown shoes and belt with a medium gray suit? Too fashion forward? I currently have black shoes and black belt, but I'm thinking about splurging on a good pair of Allen Edmonds, that will hopefully last me for years. If I do that I'd rather get brown AE's, though, because I feel they'll look better with chinos and brown is more of my style in general. But I'll be applying this year and hopefully interviewing so I'm trying to consider that as well. Input anyone please?
 
What are thoughts on wearing dark brown shoes and belt with a medium gray suit? Too fashion forward? I currently have black shoes and black belt, but I'm thinking about splurging on a good pair of Allen Edmonds, that will hopefully last me for years. If I do that I'd rather get brown AE's, though, because I feel they'll look better with chinos and brown is more of my style in general. But I'll be applying this year and hopefully interviewing so I'm trying to consider that as well. Input anyone please?
Have you considered cordovan?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are thoughts on wearing dark brown shoes and belt with a medium gray suit? Too fashion forward? I currently have black shoes and black belt, but I'm thinking about splurging on a good pair of Allen Edmonds, that will hopefully last me for years. If I do that I'd rather get brown AE's, though, because I feel they'll look better with chinos and brown is more of my style in general. But I'll be applying this year and hopefully interviewing so I'm trying to consider that as well. Input anyone please?

Depends on how gray and how brown we're talking. Darker browns can work with lighter grays but charcoal really needs a black shoe or something with a more reddish tone like cordovan/burgundy
 
What are thoughts on wearing dark brown shoes and belt with a medium gray suit? Too fashion forward? I currently have black shoes and black belt, but I'm thinking about splurging on a good pair of Allen Edmonds, that will hopefully last me for years. If I do that I'd rather get brown AE's, though, because I feel they'll look better with chinos and brown is more of my style in general. But I'll be applying this year and hopefully interviewing so I'm trying to consider that as well. Input anyone please?

Also re: Allen edmonds - there's a lot of variability in their models. For interviews, your best bet is one of their more conservative styles like the park ave, etc which are best in black and or very dark brown can serve as your go to dress shoe forever. I wouldn't go with a strand or something for interviews. But, Strands (particularly in brown) are a great choice for chinos.
 
My socks are going to likely be slightly darker than my suit. Still navy, but darker. I can't find the right match. Am I going to draw the ire of the almost certainly style-versed adcoms?