Menstrual Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruchir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a really hard time understanding the entire cycle in terms of what hormoes do what and when do they rise/fall/peak etc. Can some PLEASE help me with it!!!:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a really hard time understanding the entire cycle in terms of what hormoes do what and when do they rise/fall/peak etc. Can some PLEASE help me with it!!!:oops:

imo one of the hardest things to learn/remember...i need help as well

I suspect that more direct and specific questions will garner a reply. Waving your arms around and shrieking for help will usually only get someone's attention if you're drowning. :)

HERES A GOOD GENERAL BREAKDOWN:
Always starts with the release of menstrual flow from prior cycle, then:
1) Follicular Phase- ovarian follicles mature, in response to LH and FSH, as they mature they produce estrogen, the rise in estrogen has a positive feedback effect on GnRH which more LH release.
2) Ovulation- LH spikes and this causes the actual ovulation (release of egg)
3) Luteal Phase- LH causes the ruptured follicle to become the corpus luteum. The corpus luteum secretes estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen and progesterone together inhibit GnRH secretion, which inhibit LH and FSH secretion (we dont want another egg to be released) During this time the progesterone causes the endometrium lining to grow and nourish.
4) Menstruation- if egg doesnt get fertilized, the corpus luteum dies and endometrium turns into menstrual flow. therefore the release estrogen and progesterone stops. This allows GnRH to be released again which restimulates FSH and LH release.