mentally ill shrinks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question: if a physician does have a diagnosed mental illness which he has been hospitalized for in previous years, does that person have to report his condition to the state he is practicing in? could his condition potentially effect his licensing?

i've noticed that a lot of doctors seem to enter psychiatry because they suffer from psych illnesses themselves; i think that this is totally respectable and understandable. but i wanted to know if you look at your colleagues who may have suffered from a major depressive episode (for example) differently; are these docs discriminated against in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

silas2642 said:
quick question: if a physician does have a diagnosed mental illness which he has been hospitalized for in previous years, does that person have to report his condition to the state he is practicing in? could his condition potentially effect his licensing?

i've noticed that a lot of doctors seem to enter psychiatry because they suffer from psych illnesses themselves; i think that this is totally respectable and understandable. but i wanted to know if you look at your colleagues who may have suffered from a major depressive episode (for example) differently; are these docs discriminated against in any way?

One thing that I've noticed is that psychiatrists who have been diagnosed with a mental illness in the past seem to fall into two categories:

1. Those who dealt with their issue and then moved on;

2. Those who wear the illness like a badge.

From what I've seen (NOT much, I'll grant since I'm only a fourth year), those in the first category have no issues, nor does anyone really care. Those in the second group are often met with disdain, however. I do not think that the disdain stems from an issue with their history, per se; rather, I think it stems from the fact that they are often dismissive of opinions/diagnosis from anyone who hasn't "been there, done that". They seem convinced that, since they've suffered from a mental illness, they are "more qualified" to treat such illnesses.

Just my two copper coins!

Well, since the prevalence of depression among US medical students is nearly 20% according to some studies, chances are that there are physicians in all of the specialties who've suffered from major depression at some point. Although there may be some people who wear it like a "badge of honor" like moshe described, I haven't met anyone like that. I suspect most people keep it to themselves, because one's past medical history really isn't anyone's business.

Hurricane said:
Well, since the prevalence of depression among US medical students is nearly 20% according to some studies, chances are that there are physicians in all of the specialties who've suffered from major depression at some point. Although there may be some people who wear it like a "badge of honor" like moshe described, I haven't met anyone like that. I suspect most people keep it to themselves, because one's past medical history really isn't anyone's business.

Well said!