Mention shadowing HS experience in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgeek62

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know for the primary applications, HS activities are off-limits. However, for certain secondary applications, I know it's common for schools to ask something to the extent of "Please let us know if there is anything else you would like us to know to supplement your application. This is an opportunity to describe something that hasn't been able to be addressed elsewhere." Or a similar variation.

As part of a mentoring program, I shadowed a doctor in the OR and clinic for an entire academic year in high school for 5-10 hours per week. That's when I originally realized I wanted to become a physician.

I haven't shadowed any physicians since because I felt I had received an adequate picture of a day in the life of a doctor. I thought I could mention the HS experience in the secondaries to show the admission committees that I have seen what being a doctor is all about. Should I refrain? Or is this a good idea?

Thoughts? Advice? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I know for the primary applications, HS activities are off-limits. However, for certain secondary applications, I know it's common for schools to ask something to the extent of "Please let us know if there is anything else you would like us to know to supplement your application. This is an opportunity to describe something that hasn't been able to be addressed elsewhere." Or a similar variation.

As part of a mentoring program, I shadowed a doctor in the OR and clinic for an entire academic year in high school for 5-10 hours per week. That's when I originally realized I wanted to become a physician.

I haven't shadowed any physicians since because I felt I had received an adequate picture of a day in the life of a doctor. I thought I could mention the HS experience in the secondaries to show the admission committees that I have seen what being a doctor is all about. Should I refrain? Or is this a good idea?

Personally, I think that it's OK to talk about that experience in the secondary. If you think it's important, then definitely talk about it and how it shaped your experiences.

Dude, that activity seems pretty big. That's about 200 hours of clinical experience that you just completely left out. I think you should have included it in your primaries, especially if you did more shadowing in college (ie: you could have put it along with your other shadowing experiences). It's not like shadowing a doctor 4 years before you apply is that much less significant than shadowing done 2 years before you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

bump

I was in a similar program and I included it. It was the summer after HS but before college. It was definitely of great interest to interviewer.

Dude, that activity seems pretty big. That's about 200 hours of clinical experience that you just completely left out. I think you should have included it in your primaries, especially if you did more shadowing in college (ie: you could have put it along with your other shadowing experiences). It's not like shadowing a doctor 4 years before you apply is that much less significant than shadowing done 2 years before you apply.

Agree. I included a similar activity on my primary, just because I felt it showed consistent exposure. That's what is all about.

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone! Anyone other thoughts?