Mentioning middle school in a personal statement (for a hobby)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnycarat

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm working on my personal statement, and am making an analogy with a hobby of mine that I got into in middle school. I mention that I became interested in this hobby in middle school, and progress to talking about it during university. A friend of mine read over my personal statement and said she was told by a resident that we shouldn't mention high school or anything before college in a personal statement. In my eyes the way I wrote it was okay because I wasn't saying I knew I wanted to be a doctor in middle school, I was just talking about the progression of my hobby.

But I know I could be biased since it's my own writing, so I wanted to get another opinion ask on here - is mentioning middle school in my personal statement okay? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Most great personal statements I've read have a narrative that the applicant started in middle school or earlier. It shouldn't be a problem at all - the resident might be thinking about activities in the primary (but even then, hobbies are an exception).

Reactions: 1 user