mentioning names in the personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sport29883

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering- is it a good idea to mention names of your letter writers in the personal statement i .e. how working with them influenced you.

I have mentioned two names but I also need to give it to a physician who is writing me an LoR - and I really havent mentioned his name.

Just wanted the perception of the forum on these issues-
1. Should names be mentioned or not?
2. Is it generally rude when you hand an attending a PS for an LoR and his name isnt on it but someone else's is?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The Personal statement is one of the least important aspects of your application. It can hurt you far more than it can possibly help you. DO NOT FRIGGIN' NAME DROP.

The Personal statement is one of the least important aspects of your application. It can hurt you far more than it can possibly help you. DO NOT FRIGGIN' NAME DROP.

Thanks - out of curiosity, why? If you are confident that these people can talk good about you, and that they really did influence your life, whats the issue?

No offence meant - just want to get an idea why you feel so strongly about it.

I think that's the wrong place to really put names if you think about it. Your personal statement is about you and why you are unique. Not why rockstar surgeon likes you and thinks you'll be great. That's what a letter of recommendation is for.

I think you misunderstood my question. Not why the rockstar surgeon likes me, but how that "rockstar surgeon" has influenced my thoughts and my decision to get into the speciality I am applying for.

I think you misunderstood my question. Not why the rockstar surgeon likes me, but how that "rockstar surgeon" has influenced my thoughts and my decision to get into the speciality I am applying for.

I am opposed to it for a number of reasons.

#1. You already have letters of recommendations from the people you are name dropping. The interviewers (or at least the PD) will already know you worked with Dr. Huge Bigshot. You accomplish nothing by mentioning it again.

#2. It's hard to name drop without coming off pretentious; however, even if you do accomplish it, does it add anything to your PS? Take the following 2 sentences for instance.
1. "The experience of working with the phenomenal plastic surgeons at my medical school has taught me the value of creating perky breasts while reserving my weekends for golf"
2. "The experience of working with Dr. Takesnoinsurance at HMS has taught me the value of creating perky breasts while reserving my weekends for golf. "

The 2nd sentence is not any more effective than the first. DO NOT NAME DROP. If you feel compelled to mention the influence of attendings on your career choice, do so in generalities.

you can mention a name of a person that inspired you, but don't say that Dr. X thinks you are the greatest med student ever...
And don't say Dr X, is Chief of blah blah, director of yada yada... etc. No need to give a fancy title.