-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mepivicaine spinal for ortho
Started by ToKingdomCome
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Mepivacaine Spinal Anesthesia Facilitates Rapid Recovery in Total Knee Arthroplasty Compared to Bupivacaine - PubMed
Mepivacaine for spinal anesthesia with TKA had adequate duration to complete the surgery and facilitated a more rapid recovery with less urinary complications and a shorter length of stay. Patients administered mepivacaine did not display worse pain control or transient neurologic symptoms...
I used it for outpatient total knee replacements. My dose was 45-60 mg and I found 60 mg to be more reliable to obtain satisfactory surgical duration of anesthesia.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1130227
All the time, except for two surgeons who are outliers for surgical times.How often are you doing these? What dose? I find when I do this it wears off towards the end of the case. And patient has decent amount of pain in pacu. Surgeon prefers it for early ambulation though
60 mg + a little fent
60 for every primary knee and a majority of primary hips, some slower surgeons are contraindicated.
Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Your guys are too slow. 60 mg is plenty most of the time.How often are you doing these? What dose? I find when I do this it wears off towards the end of the case. And patient has decent amount of pain in pacu. Surgeon prefers it for early ambulation though
45 mg for me
I got burned a few times with 45 mg when the surgeon decided to eat lunch or see a patient or just take his time getting into the room. So, I switched to 60 mg and that solved any delay issue of 15 minutes.45 mg for me
I got burned a few times with 45 mg when the surgeon decided to eat lunch or see a patient or just take his time getting into the room. So, I switched to 60 mg and that solved any delay issue of 15 minutes.
For us the surgeon is always in the room from the beginning. I do the spinal with surgeon in the room. Why would you start the spinal when you don’t even know where the surgeon is?
We have been doing 40mg (2cc) for the ASC knee replacements, noticing some improvement in urinary retention compared to heavy bupi. Gives about 2hrs, and I have had patients move themselves to the stretcher afterwards. If it starts to get a little more than 2 hrs just crank up the propofol and a little bit of fentanyl bolus to get them through
2% 3cc for 1.[emoji2393]-2hrs. Surgeons are very aware of the timing.
You guys must have slow surgeons. We use 36-40 mg for all primary joints.
You guys must have slow surgeons. We use [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]]]-[emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]] mg for all primary joints.
What’s wrong with slow surgeons? I get paid by hours.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What’s wrong with slow surgeons? I get paid by hours.
I get paid by units, so I would rather do 4 total joints and be out at 3pm instead of 7pm.
Even in a time-based compensation model, there’s a point of diminishing returns. No one wants to be doing elective cases at night.
Can you define slow? Because there's also a push for ambulatory knees at my place and even with the Bupivacaine spinals these same very surgeons are taking long enough that the patients still arrive in PACU moving. I've been worried that changing to low doses or to bupivacaine they're basically going to be moving during the case.Your guys are too slow. 60 mg is plenty most of the time.
(Disclaimer, I think it also takes about a good 30 min for our OR to prep/drape our knees)
Can you define slow? Because there's also a push for ambulatory knees at my place and even with the Bupivacaine spinals these same very surgeons are taking long enough that the patients still arrive in PACU moving. I've been worried that changing to low doses or to bupivacaine they're basically going to be moving during the case.
(Disclaimer, I think it also takes about a good 30 min for our OR to prep/drape our knees)
Skin to skin should be under 60 minutes
D
deleted87051
Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Primary total joint shouldn’t take longer than 45 minutes. Closing by a PA or whoever sometimes takes longer than thr joint replacement itself.Can you define slow? Because there's also a push for ambulatory knees at my place and even with the Bupivacaine spinals these same very surgeons are taking long enough that the patients still arrive in PACU moving. I've been worried that changing to low doses or to bupivacaine they're basically going to be moving during the case.
(Disclaimer, I think it also takes about a good 30 min for our OR to prep/drape our knees)
OR time should be 2 hours. That includes spinal, intubation, prep, etc. Blocks are done in a holding room. Surgical time is 45-60 min and a factory should have turnovers around 15-20 min.
Our surgeons will do 7-8 total joints in a day between two rooms with two teams. There’s almost no downtime for the anesthesiologist in either room and the last patient leaves PACU before 5pm.
Our surgeons will do 7-8 total joints in a day between two rooms with two teams. There’s almost no downtime for the anesthesiologist in either room and the last patient leaves PACU before 5pm.
Yeah. Of our total joint surgeons that I primarily work with that want to do Ambulatory thing only one of them is really coming close to that speed and even with that one it’s close. Just was curious
That right there is a major issue. I don't care how fast the surgeon can put the implants in, if s/he doesn't stay to actually finish the case, they're "surgical times" mean **** all. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem cause I was JUST about to post a thread asking if people have had issues with bupi wearing off too fast.Primary total joint shouldn’t take longer than 45 minutes. Closing by a PA or whoever sometimes takes longer than thr joint replacement itself.
So are we saying 70-90 mins of tourniquet time for primary knee, and 3-4 hrs for a primary hip are slow? Just wanted to make sure 😏
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 510