Mercer Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

311fighters

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished applying for Mercer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you get an interview, make sure to visit the interview database on the SDN. It has tons of interview info for all schools and it really helped me with the Mercer interview. Please feel free to email/pm me with questions or suggestions.

If you get an interview, make sure to visit the interview database on the SDN. It has tons of interview info for all schools and it really helped me with the Mercer interview. Please feel free to email/pm me with questions or suggestions.

Thanks for the tips, LabbyRatty !

I am applying to that school this year too, but I am still working on the two essay questions. I called the schools though with some questions and the admissions stuff was extremely extraordinarily nice, that immediately made me even more interested in that school. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm about to sending in my PharmCas on monday and mercer is one. I just need to do the supplemental which shouldn't take too long.

Thanks for the tips, LabbyRatty !

I am applying to that school this year too, but I am still working on the two essay questions. I called the schools though with some questions and the admissions stuff was extremely extraordinarily nice, that immediately made me even more interested in that school. :luck:

Yea, their southern hospitality totally sucked me in and I even wrote about it in my supplemental essay. They really couldn't have been nicer throughout the entire process. Some days I wish I was going there, but for me what it came down to was not wanting to split my life/future between two coasts. I chose to stay on the west. There's no hospitality in east LA for me (but I would like to personally thank the person who left a pile of garbage and some chewed gum on my car yesterday, I had a good time cleaning it up)!

Yes, I finished both my PharmCAS and supplemental app back in July. Wow! Less than 2 weeks? I'm so excited now.

I also submitted my apps back in July. I just had to wait on two of my references, but they finished up yesterday so I was pretty pumped.

Yeah an email saying that in 2-3 weeks Mercer should tell me their decision. This is my second time applying. Last cycle I had a 3.24 and 78 PCAT. But my file wasn't complete until late Jan. So I am hoping some work experience and an early completion of the application will atleast get me an interview :rolleyes:.
Does anyone else want to share their stats? or their story with Mercer?

wait so they're gonna give people a notice of interview in 2-3 weeks this early?

GPA = 3.02 made some bad choices in my education, but showing upward trend.
PCAT = 87 Comp
IV Pharmacy Technician at a hospital (best job I ever had)
Research for a Professor
Tutor at church.
A lot of work experience dealing with customer service.

Wow, that's really good ! :thumbup:

Yeah an email saying that in 2-3 weeks Mercer should tell me their decision. This is my second time applying. Last cycle I had a 3.24 and 78 PCAT. But my file wasn't complete until late Jan. So I am hoping some work experience and an early completion of the application will atleast get me an interview :rolleyes:.
Does anyone else want to share their stats? or their story with Mercer?
3.62 GPA
85 PCAT
Applied last year but didnt complete O Chem II until Spring. Didn't get an interview last year, but only had a couple of months of pharmacy experience and one solid LOR. Now i have almost a year of tech experience and 4 months of volunteering in a hospital pharmacy. Also now have 3 good LOR's. So I am hoping for a different outcome this year.

With those stats how did you not get an interview? Did you apply very late or something???
No, I got in my application by the end of August. But in September they sent me a letter saying I still needed O Chem II and Physics to complete their pre-reqs and they would not evaluate my file until my fall grades were in. So I took physics in the fall, sent my transcript, and in January they sent me the same letter saying I still needed O Chem II. So I called in Feb. and they said i would hear something in a few weeks. Finally, in early April I received a letter saying I had not been chosen for an interview, or something to that effect. But, I didn't have much exp. in the pharmacy at the time of my app. last year or too many EC's. I have worked on that in the past year and think I have improved my app. this time around.

I thought you had to complete all the prereq before end of spring so if you didn't even take ochem 2 during spring then I don't think they have much choice. But I think you should get an interview this time around. I'm in similar boat, except I haven't taken pcat yet. Taking it this august in a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you had to complete all the prereq before end of spring so if you didn't even take ochem 2 during spring then I don't think they have much choice. But I think you should get an interview this time around. I'm in similar boat, except I haven't taken pcat yet. Taking it this august in a week.
I was in the process of taking O Chem II last spring, I just hadn't completed it yet. Good luck with the PCAT!

I was in the process of taking O Chem II last spring, I just hadn't completed it yet. Good luck with the PCAT!

So they want you to complete all the pre-reqs before they will review your application?! I haven't heard of waiting for O Chem II, I mean I have heard of waiting for O Chem I from schools like Lecom but wow, I wonder if I should apply to this school because I am taking O Chem II in Spring also. :shrug:

So they want you to complete all the pre-reqs before they will review your application?! I haven't heard of waiting for O Chem II, I mean I have heard of waiting for O Chem I from schools like Lecom but wow, I wonder if I should apply to this school because I am taking O Chem II in Spring also. :shrug:
I applied last year and I was finishing up Org chem II in the fall and I got that same letter, then I got a letter saying no interview. I think that once your application is later than Jan getting complete, your chances with mercer are not that great unless you have an excellent gpa or pcat.
But I don't think it will hurt you to apply

Do you guys think that people that apply twice or more to the same school get less preference than new ones applying, or do you think that mercer doesn't really notice (with the huge applicant pool that they have) how many times you've applied?:confused:

Do you guys think that people that apply twice or more to the same school get less preference than new ones applying, or do you think that mercer doesn't really notice (with the huge applicant pool that they have) how many times you've applied?:confused:
I think it would be safe to assume they really wouldn't notice, but they do ask if you have applied to Mercer COP before on their supp. app., I believe. But I don't think it matters whether it's your first time applying or not.

I know USC and UCSF do notice if you are a reapplicant or not, since they save all of your files for two years. I guess if you improved on your grades or did something different in the past year you applied, then you'll be fine. This is my second time applying to Mercer, so I'm hoping that applying really really early this time around will help. Last year, they didn't see my first PCAT score until the beginning of March which was right before the last interview date they offered during the application cycle.

Yeah - I do think they notice if they ask that specifically on the supplemental. Also, I'm a current student who has personally met at least five of my current classmates who told me that they had to apply twice - probably there's more I don't know about. In any event, there are quite a few people who were successful the second time around with admission.

Wow, so Mercer won't even grant an interview to people who haven't already finished their prereqs? That makes me nervous because I have all of it done except for my last Biology, which starting next week for Fall... I really hope they don't turn me down because of that.

Wow, so Mercer won't even grant an interview to people who haven't already finished their prereqs? That makes me nervous because I have all of it done except for my last Biology, which starting next week for Fall... I really hope they don't turn me down because of that.

Where did you learn this from ?

This is my first time applying to Mercer. I called them about the interview decisions and they said they send out them out via email. Therefore, do they send ONLY the invitation letter or both the invitation and rejection letters? Who else is grinding their fingernails on this one?

Since it's early in the game, I don't think they will send out rejection letters just yet. Usually, they'll wait until after all the interview sessions are over, so normally they mail those out around March or April.

I don't really think so... that is just ******ed, my friend got in and he had a class he didn't finish until after Summer!

I think the people who didn't get invite might of had bad score or something?

If this is true, then it is a change from several years ago, because I was interviewed and accepted before I finished all my prereqs.

Finished applying for Mercer already. The admissions counselor said that we will be hearing in less than 2 weeks from this posting date about an interview decision. Anyone else send all their stuff in early??? :):D:eek: (Those are all my feelings going on that same time, LOL)

First posting bt-dubs.

Who ever gets the next letter make sure to post here so we know whats going on.. I am always scared to open the mailbox bc i know rejection letters come in the mail so i always get relieved when I don't see a letter from mercer. Do you guys think there is any possibility I will get an interview with a 3.24 and 78 PCAT, I know its just below their averages....:rolleyes:

I received 2 emails from admissions yesterday. The first one says that my application is complete and they will reach some sort of a decision in 2-3 weeks. The second one says that my application has been reviewed and that the admission committee wants to see my new PCAT score (which will be taken again in Oct). They will contact me if they decide to take further action. The weird thing is that those two emails were sent at the same date and time. :confused:

I received an interview invite from Mercer by e-mail today. My interview is on September the 19th at 1:00. Anyone else?

I receive the interview invitation from mercer too. Friday, Sep 19th at 1:00pm. See you guys there

Sorry to de-rail the original thread topic, but where would this database be?

It's at the top of the screen. click on DATABASES then on PHARMACY SCHOOL

I received 2 emails from admissions yesterday. The first one says that my application is complete and they will reach some sort of a decision in 2-3 weeks. The second one says that my application has been reviewed and that the admission committee wants to see my new PCAT score (which will be taken again in Oct). They will contact me if they decide to take further action. The weird thing is that those two emails were sent at the same date and time. :confused:

Do you mind sharing your stats?? I feel like I might get the same message about the PCAT score (I retook it in August).

I got an interview invite also can't wait to meet you all !!!!

Do you mind sharing your stats?? I feel like I might get the same message about the PCAT score (I retook it in August).

I just PMed you earlier. Sorry, I just realized that you haven't gotten the same message from Mercer, but you're afraid of receiving one of those. I glanced your post and thought you received one.

I haven't finished my application yet, but I'm getting there! There's so much pressure to apply early with rolling admission schools such as Mercer. I have a composite score of 85% (but 68% in bio) in June with a 3.3 GPA. I know that's not very competitive, so I am taking the Oct PCAT for safety measures. Hearing that Mercer might hold my application until my new score makes me a little worried. My stats might be okay to get me by and I don't want to be placed "on hold" until after Oct. With rolling admissions, my chance might be lower! I really want to get in! I'm not sure what to do! Help!

for people that got invited can you list your stats? and ecs?

This is my status:
GPA: 3.45
PCAT: 84% comp
1 year tutor in church
1 month as shadowed pharm tech
1 year research about biomaterial
1 year as Math Teaching Assistant at GSU

I feel like we should wear one of those "Hello, my name is......" badges with our SDN names. LOL Since a lot of us are getting these invites from Mercer.

LOL, I am certainly looking forward to meeting some SDNers IRL this year, it's geeky but I think the whole concept of pre-pharmacy board and us being able to communicate here prior to the interviews is so cool. Somebody just recently recognized me as Cheburashka in real life w/out any clues. I was really flattered, I guess I look like Cheburashka. :laugh:

Is this anyone's time applying a second time to mercer?

Last edited:
I am getting nervous now, my app was complete at the same time as everyone who already got invites, yet I haven't gotten a rejection or an invite email yet. Here it goes again, I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest every time I think about it.

For all of you who already got invites CONGRATS!!! :banana:That means about two weeks after the interview you will know if you'll be in pharm school!!

Last edited:
If I submit my apps in early nov, is that too late for mercer? I still have couple pre-req's left too.

Is this anyone's time applying a second time to mercer?

This is technically my third time applying to Mercer. But the first year I had to withdraw my application. So, I am hoping the third times a charm. Good luck to everyone.

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats when you applied the first time? I'm comtemplating whether or not I should apply this year or wait till the next cycle and bring up my gpa

If I submit my apps in early nov, is that too late for mercer? I still have couple pre-req's left too.

Its better to apply then not, I just know they wait for everything to be completed before they evaluate your file. For instance last year I completed my pharmcas app in june, but I was taking my first PCAT in jan. I received a letter from mercer saying they are waiting for my PCAT to make a decision.
So I didn't get a decision until after Jan.
But since you only have prereqs left they might still grant you an interview and accept you on the basis that all your classes will be completed before the entering class.

what's the essay question on the supplementary application? is it why i want to go there?

what's the essay question on the supplementary application? is it why i want to go there?

Here is the essay question directly from the supp. application: At this time, please describe how participation in Mercer's Doctor of Pharmacy degree program will foster your development as a healthcare professional.
Good luck.

Is it ok to send Mercer my supplemental before PharmCAS has sent my application??

Is it ok to send Mercer my supplemental before PharmCAS has sent my application??

I submitted my supplemental before Mercer received my Pharmcas and everything seemed to go off without a hitch.