Mercer's waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgalper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how Mercer does their waitlist. I know that if you are waitlisted you are ranked, but I wanted to know if there is a time frame to hear back for the school, or if they give acceptances to people whenever they need someone to fill a spot? So basically if I am a top ranked person on the waitlist, will I hear back on a certain date, or when they need someone?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been waitlisted or are you just preparing for the possibility? Just asking because I am waiting myself and I was hoping they still had spots open.

Yeah, I was waitlisted there and was wondering what to expect next. Can we do anything to improve our chances? Do you know the process now? I like the school and would like to get in too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats strange, I didnt think they waitlisted anyone until April. In fact Im pretty sure they dont.
Are you sure youve been waitlisted?

That is strange. I'm not sure if they've decided to do something different this year, but I know for sure that last year, actual wait list letters didn't come out until April.

I applied ED last year, and when I didn't get accepted, they sent me a letter saying my file would be rolled into the regular applicant pool. After that, however, I didn't hear another thing (officially) until April.

Now, they won't tell you this officially, but I learned a lot when I went through all this last year. About 20 students of their 60 come from ED. The rest are decided upon during committee meetings at various times between October 1 and March. When they accept the last of the 60 slots, they send out rejections and two cuts of wait list letters. As best I could estimate, there were about 70 waitlist letters sent between the two cuts last year. The first 35 are the "high priority" and are sent out a week or so ahead of the second group. Most of these are eventually offered a place in the class. The second group may or may not be accepted depending on how deep into the list they go. However, it is less likely.

But, all this could be different this year. Good luck!

I doubt they are doing it any differently this year.
I am guessing the OP is confusing getting rolled over into the regular applicant pool with being waitlisted.
They are very different things.

Either way, best of luck!

I emailed Mary Putnam at Mercer this morning, she said no waitlists letters have been sent and are still not sent until after April 15. She said there were still plenty of spots available.

You definately have not been waitlisted.
They dont do that until April.

Bump.

Got a waitlist letter dated April 6th. I had until 4/17 to respond to be put on the list. Just wanted to bring the Mercer thread alive agian.

So am I the only one on here that has a waitlist letter from Mercer so far? That might be good.. lol.

i got a waitlist letter on april 6th too. hopefully we'll hear soon! i had until april 20th to send in my letter. I wonder why they had different dates to get the letters in by.

I got a waitlist letter on April 6th, and I have until April 20th to reply.:banana:

Bump.

Got a waitlist letter dated April 6th. I had until 4/17 to respond to be put on the list. Just wanted to bring the Mercer thread alive agian.

Yeah...I got that letter too. But I will be withdrawing my application pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was in the waitlist batch on April 6th... anyone talk to Ms. Putnam about any movement? I have emailed her a couple times and she told me relatively where I stand on the waitlist but nothing else... any new info would be awesome.

Yeah I was in the waitlist batch on April 6th... anyone talk to Ms. Putnam about any movement? I have emailed her a couple times and she told me relatively where I stand on the waitlist but nothing else... any new info would be awesome.

How did you get her to tell you that? She wouldn't tell me anything on the phone. Do you think that means I'm low on the list?

About 2 weeks ago, I asked her to let me know where I stand and she said "top third." A few days later, when I tried to fish a few more details out of her she would only say "upper half." I guess it depends on her mood that day and how much info she is willing to give. I know she can't let you know exactly what your chances are to get pulled off the waitlist, but she can give you just enough hope to drive you crazy.... I didn't call her, I emailed her- I figure that I would get more info thru text than thru calling.

Also, from what I understand from previous threads, the people that received waitlist letters dated April 6 were in the top half of the ranked waitlist...

Today she told me I am in the top half, and there's no telling how far down they will go this year. So now I am wondering if that means that I'm just barely in the top half or what...

I also got a waitlist letter the first week of April, so I asked Mary about the two waitlists and where I stood and this was her response:

James:

Well, I can at least correct a misconception.

There is only 1 waitlist. The timing of sending out the letters was just a
function of time constraints on this end.
The best I can do is tell you that you are just about at the mid-point of
the list.

I know it's probably not much, but it's the best I can do.

I hope it helps at least a little.

Mary

Not too encouraging...

Just wondering, does Mercer mainly admit WV and surrounding area applicants? If one has a low/mediocre stat, is it even worth applying there?

Just wondering, does Mercer mainly admit WV and surrounding area applicants? If one has a low/mediocre stat, is it even worth applying there?

WV???

Oops ....sorry. I confused it with Marshall. Mercer is in GA, right? Sorry.

if you are in the upper half, i would try not to worry about it so much (so much easier said than done). She told me top third one day, and then a few days later would only say upper half. Arg. I asked her the other day if there was any movement, and she said very little, and that the bulk of the movement happens after the May 15 deadline. Sounds reasonable to me. I HATE WAITING! Anyone else have any more news from Mary?

Oh- and according to previous posts, the date on the waitlist letter does indicate what half (upper or bottom) of the waitlist you are in- atleast, sometimes Mary admits this is true and other times she says no. She is trying to be mysterious and it is driving me nuts! :confused:

Oops ....sorry. I confused it with Marshall. Mercer is in GA, right? Sorry.

Yes its in Ga.
To answer your question, Mercer only interviews and accepts Ga. residents.

Don't they usually only accept the top third or so from the waitlist? That's why I'm worried since she only said top half.

I am not sure... i think it depends on the year. She did say that they had 63 seats this year and 25 of them were filled by ED. She said last year they took about 25 off the waitlist, but she wouldn't say how big the waitlist was overall. Caesar... I wouldn't stress too much... she said I was in upper half too the second time i asked her, so she might just be trying to be mysterious about your location on the list so she can keep her job...lol.. Either way... top half is good news, esp. since Mercer's list is known to have good movement (watch it not move at all this year)... Caesar- you have another other plans besides hoping for Mercer?

I also applied to MCG, but I never received the secondary application. I applied late (like november 1st), and I called to ask them where it was in January. They said they had sent it... anyway, by then it was too late. So yeah, my only hope is Mercer at this point. How about you?

I've got the big waitlist at Mercer and at MCG.. Here's hoping for something to happen soon.,,,

I am waitlisted on both MCG and Mercer... arg. Can May 15 get here already?!

Beggars can't be choosers... lol

I mean between the two if you were accepted to both

This thread has been pretty quiet, a little too quiet...just wondering if I missed the second coming or the great acceptance list in the sky? I'd hate to be the one standing around with the tumbleweeds :confused:

Today is the day.... let's hope to see some movement!