Merck pharmaceutical sales rep Vs Cvs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmagirl1818

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m offered an interview for a position for entry level sales rep for Merck. Currently with cvs full time. It’s def a pay cut from 120 to 92k but of course much easier than retail. Not sure honestly, any advice? Don’t mind cvs too much but wanted to see if I can get my door in industry but I read reviews that they lay u off from previous workers at Merck....

Any advise?

Members don't see this ad.

If that 92K is base salary, you will make a lot more in bonuses, home office tax write off, no cell phone bill, company car, expense account etc...… Its a cool job! But if sales goals aren't being met, Things roll downhill really quickly. Its a sales job your doctors have to write your scripts! Overcoming objections and kissing @$$ is part of it. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Just keep in mind that if you leave CVS, you'll lose the high salary forever. New hires only get low-mid $50s/hour now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Our friend who is a rep has no car payment, no insurance, and no gas. That easily adds 5-600/month savings in just vehicle expenses alone. Plus a half day every Friday!
Scoop up the bucks at CVS while you can 'cause it may not last. My cousin was in a medical group that was getting inundated by detail dudes/dudettes..They tried limiting it to one day a week but it got so bad they banned them all together....The local hospitals route them to pharmacy, I am told..The old timer reps I run into won't even discuss the business...

I’m offered an interview for a position for entry level sales rep for Merck. Currently with cvs full time. It’s def a pay cut from 120 to 92k but of course much easier than retail. Not sure honestly, any advice? Don’t mind cvs too much but wanted to see if I can get my door in industry but I read reviews that they lay u off from previous workers at Merck....

Any advise?

Did you end up going the pharma sales rep route? I was considering that as well, interested in hearing your decision and how you came to it!