Mercy vs. West Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtae

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been following many threads and found them quite useful...thanks for all the hard work!

In addition to Pitt, I'm pursuing the smaller programs in Pittsburgh. I am interested in any info differentiating the Mercy from West Penn program. Anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been following many threads and found them quite useful...thanks for all the hard work!

In addition to Pitt, I'm pursuing the smaller programs in Pittsburgh. I am interested in any info differentiating the Mercy from West Penn program. Anyone have any insight?

do a search.

however, i'm reposting what i wrote a month or so ago. i'm not 100% sure that these details are all accurate, so if something is wrong here, somebody please correct me:

as a student who has rotated at both hospitals (not in anesthesiology), i might be able to help a little... you also might try a search, as this topic was discussed quite a bit last year in this forum...

west penn lost their contract with their anesthesiology group in late '05/ early '06, and went after mercy's anesthesiologists successfully. dr. troianos was the chair and program director at mercy; now he has the same position at west penn. a few of the better attendings that were once at mercy are now at west penn.

also, i believe that west penn's program is a little bigger. and from what i've heard from one of my friends who is a resident there, things are going well despite the change.

as far as mercy, the majority of the attendings i came in contact with are friendly, and good teachers. however, this is a smaller program (i think they just increased to 5 residents per year). most of the residents there do seem happy.

finally, mercy hospital lost over 40 million dollars over the last 3 years, and was in financial dire straits - leading to its purchase by the behemoth, UPMC, a few weeks ago. supposedly, mercy is to remain independent and the residency programs are to remain secure, but who knows. it wouldn't be the first time a pittsburgh gas program was dissolved due to financial reasons (AGH had one as well).

hope this helps.