Merger and how it will affect class of 2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well DOs will continue to take the COMLEX for a while, well until 2025 or even later. The MD community will have an increasing influence on DOs but they will continue to exist as separate schools for a while. For both MDs and DOs to take one test, the curriculum of DO schools would have to change, I do not see that happening for a long time.

I think it wouldn't have to significantly change. And besides most curriculums change often enough. KCU borderline changes it every 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually disagree with this. Statistics show that at a 26 the pass rate plateaus. This means that beyond this point the capacity to pass becomes more correlated with other factors. The majority of DO classes could pass the USMLE if it were their only exam. However for people in the bottom 50% of their class they may need to make a decision.

I think honestly many people who feel like them not taking USMLE step 1 was a bad idea end up taking Step 2 to help. But even then the status of COMLEX could change a bit and some places may start accepting it more as many places don't really filter MD applicants by step score all that much either.
A 26 on the Mcat is rank garbage.

If anything comlex will become more obsolete and USMLE will become an absolute and technical requirement rather than just a pragmatic requirement for the ACGME match.

A 26 on the Mcat is rank garbage.

If anything comlex will become more obsolete and USMLE will become an absolute and technical requirement rather than just a pragmatic requirement for the ACGME match.

It doesn't change the fact that the difference between a 26 & 35 in terms of pass rate on step 1 is about 2%.

I think it will become an absolute requirement. I also have no doubt that it'll probably also become pass/fail at some point as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people now think Ted Cruz or John Kasich will be running against Hillary in 2020, its not a solid prediction but the odds are there. As far as what will happen to DOs in 2020, who really knows. I really think things will start to change around 2025 or later, not before that date but don't quote me on that.

Kasich has no real base within the Republican Party as he has rebuffed Donaldo too many times. He is now firmly a Rino in the eyes of the majority of the voting block. Ted Cruz in 4 years will be running on diminishing returns as his major base, evangelicals are the faith group seeing an enormous decline in membership and support and more and more Americans begin to become part of the other/non-adherence group.

As a whole this is very likely the last election that the Republicans could have won.

But returning back to your idea, I agree, I think a few years out of the merger there will almost certainly be a shake up within the osteopathic world as we continue to become more and more dependent on the allopathic side. Whether that means the LCME ending COCA or the NBME superseding the NBOME, we will see the power center of the osteopathic world begin to weaken.

Lol jokes on y'all Trump won!!! just shows how futile predicting the future can be!

Reactions: 2 users