Merit Scholarship Criteria

Started by JackOSU
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JackOSU

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I'm new to SDN so forgive me for possibly a lack of proper SDN folkways/etiquette.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the rough criteria for merit scholarships. I understand that the interview and particular school preferences will weigh heavily on consideration, but I am just wondering if anyone who has been granted scholarships or knows what average statistics are like. (MCAT scores/GPA/undergrad school/EC's/etc.)
I'm particularly interested in the UCLA Geffen scholarship so if anyone has knowledge on it please share!

My personal stats are
MCAT score: 519
GPA: 3.99 - as a Neuro major at OSU
EC's include working part time throughout undergrad, volunteering for three years at the OSU cancer hospital, tutoring, shadowing various surgeons/family practitioners, a medical mission trip, various clubs

Thanks!!
 
I was just wondering if anyone knew the rough criteria for merit scholarships.
If I knew you can bet I wouldn't tell you 😉

One a more serious note though your stats are really solid, so you stand as fair a shot as anyone at one. I will say that UCLA is very competitive, so maybe aim for your state school(s)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I knew you can bet I wouldn't tell you 😉

One a more serious note though your stats are really solid, so you stand as fair a shot as anyone at one. I will say that UCLA is very competitive, so maybe aim for your state school(s)?

Thanks! Yeah, I know I have a better chance at in state schools. I just don't really wish to stay in Ohio. (who does?) I have downloaded the official AAMC stat sheet of In-state vs. OOS matriculants and going out of state definitely isn't a myth. Almost every school I applied to has at least 20% out of state matriculants.
 
I had several out of state public schools offer me aid that made it roughly like I would have been an in-state student. They're recruitment scholarships, so your likelihood of garnering multiple acceptances makes you more likely to be offered one. Also, if the school feels they are a better option than other cheaper acceptances they may even the financial tables with an offer. You have as good of a shot as anyone, but I'd worry about getting in before you worry too much about merit aid.
 
I think it's highly dependent on the school and interview, really. For example I know someone who had a 3.9 ish cum and science GPA and a 30 MCAT who received a full ride to med school (according to the MSAR a 30 wasn't even in this school's 10%tile) . However he also really loved the city that the school was in, had lived there all his life, and loved the schools mission statement i.e. he was really a perfect match for the school. He was also nominated for the scholarship by someone he interviewed with - so his interview must have been great. Don't count yourself out bc of stats alone, if everything else in your app and your interview is strong I'd think you would have a good shot at it!
 
Hey guys! I'm new to SDN so forgive me for possibly a lack of proper SDN folkways/etiquette.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the rough criteria for merit scholarships. I understand that the interview and particular school preferences will weigh heavily on consideration, but I am just wondering if anyone who has been granted scholarships or knows what average statistics are like. (MCAT scores/GPA/undergrad school/EC's/etc.)
I'm particularly interested in the UCLA Geffen scholarship so if anyone has knowledge on it please share!

My personal stats are
MCAT score: 519
GPA: 3.99 - as a Neuro major at OSU
EC's include working part time throughout undergrad, volunteering for three years at the OSU cancer hospital, tutoring, shadowing various surgeons/family practitioners, a medical mission trip, various clubs

Thanks!!
Be well above average in every category for a given school, have multiple comparable acceptances, and get lucky.
 
However he also really loved the city that the school was in, had lived there all his life, and loved the schools mission statement i.e. he was really a perfect match for the school.
If only getting full rides was that easy for everyone. I'll love any city you want me to for ∽200k+ 😀
 
Hey guys! I'm new to SDN so forgive me for possibly a lack of proper SDN folkways/etiquette.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the rough criteria for merit scholarships. I understand that the interview and particular school preferences will weigh heavily on consideration, but I am just wondering if anyone who has been granted scholarships or knows what average statistics are like. (MCAT scores/GPA/undergrad school/EC's/etc.)
I'm particularly interested in the UCLA Geffen scholarship so if anyone has knowledge on it please share!

My personal stats are
MCAT score: 519
GPA: 3.99 - as a Neuro major at OSU
EC's include working part time throughout undergrad, volunteering for three years at the OSU cancer hospital, tutoring, shadowing various surgeons/family practitioners, a medical mission trip, various clubs

Thanks!!

I received large merit scholarships from several of the schools I was accepted to this past year and have grades and mcats in the bottom 10% of all the schools. (not a humblebrag, but a clearly a full-on brag, i so cool)
long story short, i dont think theres a set formula.
I am neither a URM or have produced insane research (some decent papers). I am pretty sexy though.
 
Merit scholarships are more than anything reflective of the school's desire to see you in their incoming class and the likelihood or possibility that you may end up somewhere else instead. There is no formula. It isn't based strictly on numbers. It is based on a holistic overview of your application and how strongly a school thinks you can contribute to their class.
 
You can't really bank on getting a merit scholarship (definitely can't bank on getting a particular one, like UCLA). Thus, I think the key to maximizing your chances is to apply to as many schools as possible that have merit scholarships. There are lists elsewhere on SDN.

Remember that the process is a bit of a crapshoot. You'll get accepted with merit scholarships at better schools than schools that rejected you completely (happened to me).