Step I Mesalamine for IBD

Started by HereWeGo21
Tags Tags
usmle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HereWeGo21

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Say a patient has IBD, and also gastric ulcers.

Would mesalamine be contraindicated? Because it's a 5-ASA derivative. And I know aspirin would be contraindicated in peptic ulcers.

But I got a Kaplan question that discusses treating someone with peptic ulcer disease with mesalamine.
 
Say a patient has IBD, and also gastric ulcers.

Would mesalamine be contraindicated? Because it's a 5-ASA derivative. And I know aspirin would be contraindicated in peptic ulcers.

But I got a Kaplan question that discusses treating someone with peptic ulcer disease with mesalamine.

Per rectum administration of 5-ASA, mesalamine and steroids can be done for IBD. It really depends on the patient and how severe/distal the disease is. Some of the newer preparations bear decreased jejunal absorption so that they function primarily in the colon.
 
Per rectum administration of 5-ASA, mesalamine and steroids can be done for IBD. It really depends on the patient and how severe/distal the disease is. Some of the newer preparations bear decreased jejunal absorption so that they function primarily in the colon.
Alright, cool, thanks, that helps.

Another thing, though: this question implied that Mesalamine can be a DMARD for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis? This was strange to me as I thought 5-ASA wouldn't be systemically bioavailable.
 
Alright, cool, thanks, that helps.

Another thing, though: this question implied that Mesalamine can be a DMARD for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis? This was strange to me as I thought 5-ASA wouldn't be systemically bioavailable.

I quite honestly can't comment on mesalamine for RA, but at this point in time/medicine, methotrexate is the gold standard first-line DMARD for RA. If Sx are refractory, you add an anti-TNF biologic (e.g., infliximab, adalimumab, etanercept, golimumab, certolizumab pegol).