Messed Up Freshman Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himynameisvan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So this was my first year of college. I came in as a Computer Science major and pretty much bombed my first semester and ended up with a 2.4 GPA. It is now reaching the end of my second semester and I've realized CS is not for me so I'm switching to Biology with plans on going to Pharmacy school. The semester isn't over yet but I think I'll my GPA is going to be around a 3.0. So my GPA is terrible and I haven't taken and Intro Bio or Chem courses yet. How do I fix this? I've tried fixing my study habits but I always end up reverting back to my bad habits. To anyone who was in a similar situation as me, how did you get control of your life? Also what else can I do from now on to make myself a better candidate for pharmacy schools?

Here's some advice that I am TRYING to do for myself everyday:

-you have to learn to discipline yourself. Discipline is easy said than done (I know this myself). Start w simple things like sitting down and write out a list of what to do for the next day/next month/next year and cross items off the list when you are done. Have a regular schedule for your activities and stick to it.

-always be prepared in advance and do things early BEFORE the deadlines.

-be humble, kind, considerate, and open-minded to different ideas/people.

-be the first to arrive and the last to leave at every job/thing you do including studying. Be on time, thorough, and complete.

-do not overestimate your ability/capability. It is better to go with small promises/goals but big deliveries.

-always start small and do well and roll from there. Build a momentum as you go and are motivated by previous accomplishments.

-have a self-reward system for things/goals that you have completed and achieved. This will maintain and keep your discipline in place.

-again, for good studying habits, start with studying a little bit a day EVERYDAY. Bit by bit. Most people are not geniuses or bless with having some photographic memory. Plus cramming is harder and more stressful work, and you would not be able to learn/memorize as much as you would study bit by bit everyday.

Regarding your current GPA, what was done was already done. You could only go on from here and remember to do better and not to make any more mistake. You have already showing upward trend by anticipating a 3.0 from 2.4 GPA. So that is good. Keep doing what is working (and not doing what is not working).

Also, check out this link,

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...er-pharmacy-experience.1060955/#post-15039044

keep in mind:

-always ask yourself what, when, why, how for every question you have and try to answer those questions yourself first.

-academic is the #1 focus and priority. Take care of this first BEFORE anything else. Pharmacy schools will not want to accept a students if that student could not handle his or her undergrad work, evidenced in GPA and PCAT, thus less likely to be able to successfully progress and complete their pharmacy program.

-build up GPA/academic work + relationship with professors, pharmacists, friends, etc, i.e. build up and maintain personal/academic/professional connections.

-apply early and to many schools and a wide range of schools as you can. Applications (PHARMCAS + supplementals) and interviews and seat deposits will cost a ton, so remember to save up a lot of money.

-always have a strategy and back up plan for everything. Always plan ahead and modify as you go.

-the competition is only going to get tougher, now when you apply to pharmacy and in the future when you graduate from pharmacy school.

If you are determined to get in pharmacy school, you will get in. GL :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oldstock gives some really good advice, stick to those points and you'll turn things around.

I got a 1.9 my first semester; I was more interested in the social aspects of college and didn't really care for my classes. I also didn't know I was going to get into biology or pharmacy. Now, I will be attending pharmacy school this fall, so you definitely have a shot.

For me, turning things around mainly came down to discipline. This meant studying every night and putting school before my other obligations. I wound up taking an extra year, but I graduated with a 3.23. One thing I noticed was that it was easier to stay interested when I was more actively participating in class. In large classes this is more difficult to do, but it can help you out if you are on the borderline of your target grade. Get to know your professors and you will learn their style of teaching (and testing) better, and may potentially be offered a job or letter of recommendation. You have to really want this if you want to succeed - remember that this is a lifelong obligation you are taking on, so don't take it lightly.

Good luck!

So this was my first year of college. I came in as a Computer Science major and pretty much bombed my first semester and ended up with a 2.4 GPA. It is now reaching the end of my second semester and I've realized CS is not for me so I'm switching to Biology with plans on going to Pharmacy school. The semester isn't over yet but I think I'll my GPA is going to be around a 3.0. So my GPA is terrible and I haven't taken and Intro Bio or Chem courses yet. How do I fix this? I've tried fixing my study habits but I always end up reverting back to my bad habits. To anyone who was in a similar situation as me, how did you get control of your life? Also what else can I do from now on to make myself a better candidate for pharmacy schools?

Step up your game and report back to us a year from now. If you are able to obtain good grades you have potential.