Metacognitive Therapy ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my registration year doing some private therapy in order to get my clinical competency (in addition to my full-time school psych job)...anyhow, on the advice of my supervisor, I have read Adrian Well's Metacognitive Therapy for Anxiety and Depression. It is an interesting approach which is at times quite at odds with CBT. I was wondering if anyone practices this approach? The one patient I have now seems to be rapidly benefitting although I am a little skeptical of the rapid progress...

Members don't see this ad.

On quick review, it seems to have many parallels to Acceptance and Committment Therapy, better known as ACT (Hayes, Pistorelli, Storsdahl, Walser, et. al) which has a strong evidence base, over 30 years, and is also often quite efficacious, especially when used in cases with an average or high level of functioning and not too many co-occurring disorders. (ACT also has some good outcomes with psychotic level disorders).