metastasis to liver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
according to goljan in his audio lectures, he said that the most common metastasis to the liver is from the lung (colon being the second most common)....i remember him repeating "lung beat colon, lung beat colon"....but in FA 2005 (pg 230) it mentions that lung is the LEAST common site (colon being the most common). i just did a question in usmlerx about this and the answer is colon. so is goljan WAY off on this??

Members don't see this ad.

according to goljan in his audio lectures, he said that the most common metastasis to the liver is from the lung (colon being the second most common)....i remember him repeating "lung beat colon, lung beat colon"....but in FA 2005 (pg 230) it mentions that lung is the LEAST common site (colon being the most common). i just did a question in usmlerx about this and the answer is colon. so is goljan WAY off on this??

i thought i learned a couple days ago in a class lecture that it was colon.... but i could be wrong..

Wouldn't it be colon, due in part to the portal vein system? This is what's been drilled into me in lecture.

according to goljan in his audio lectures, he said that the most common metastasis to the liver is from the lung (colon being the second most common)....i remember him repeating "lung beat colon, lung beat colon"....but in FA 2005 (pg 230) it mentions that lung is the LEAST common site (colon being the most common). i just did a question in usmlerx about this and the answer is colon. so is goljan WAY off on this??[/QUOTE
I agree with colon. i asked my prof about this question and he said GIT.
Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
goljan says in his nutrition lecture that the problem in scurvy is in the golgi apparatus, according to FA (pg 146 2005 ed.) its in the ER....and my exam is tomorrow....i dont need this:mad:

Definitely colon. Blood flow goes directly from the colon to the liver and thus has the highest incidence of metastasis. The same holds true for the liver. If the liver is the primary tumor site (hepatocellular carcinoma), the most common metastatic site is to the lung by hematogenous dissemination. So, lung metastasis from liver is the most common but liver metastasis from lung is not the most common (the colon is).

goljan says in his nutrition lecture that the problem in scurvy is in the golgi apparatus, according to FA (pg 146 2005 ed.) its in the ER....and my exam is tomorrow....i dont need this:mad:

The problem in scurvy is that vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is necessary for hydroxylation of residues in collagen synthesis. As a result, collagen is malformed leading to the myriad of symptoms you see in scurvy. This hydroxylation occurs in the endoplasmic reticulum. The malfolded procollagen molecules stack up in the endoplasmic reticulum and never make it to the golgi.

Definitely colon. Blood flow goes directly from the colon to the liver and thus has the highest incidence of metastasis. The same holds true for the liver. If the liver is the primary tumor site (hepatocellular carcinoma), the most common metastatic site is to the lung by hematogenous dissemination. So, lung metastasis from liver is the most common but liver metastasis from lung is not the most common (the colon is).

Can you explain the route of hematogenous dissemination from liver to lung? I'm guessing hepatic vein -> IVC -> heart -> pulmonary arteries -> lung?

And in children the most common primary sources are neuroblastoma,Wilms tumor, or leukemia.
http://www.emedicine.com/Radio/topic394.htm#section~introduction

yes, Goljan is way off on this..GI tract is MC mets to liver...I am surprised he as a pathologist is saying lung...
umdnjpathology

Hepatocellular carcinoma is the most common type of primary liver cancer. Colorectal carcinoma is the most common source of metastatic liver cancer

source : http://www.mdanderson.org/departments/ltsg/