• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

metastasis to liver

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Munich, Germany
    according to goljan in his audio lectures, he said that the most common metastasis to the liver is from the lung (colon being the second most common)....i remember him repeating "lung beat colon, lung beat colon"....but in FA 2005 (pg 230) it mentions that lung is the LEAST common site (colon being the most common). i just did a question in usmlerx about this and the answer is colon. so is goljan WAY off on this??

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 10, 2003
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      according to goljan in his audio lectures, he said that the most common metastasis to the liver is from the lung (colon being the second most common)....i remember him repeating "lung beat colon, lung beat colon"....but in FA 2005 (pg 230) it mentions that lung is the LEAST common site (colon being the most common). i just did a question in usmlerx about this and the answer is colon. so is goljan WAY off on this??

i thought i learned a couple days ago in a class lecture that it was colon.... but i could be wrong..

anon-y-mouse

10+ Year Member
      Nov 14, 2005
      1. Resident [Any Field]

Wouldn't it be colon, due in part to the portal vein system? This is what's been drilled into me in lecture.

Javad

NeuroForEver
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Oct 26, 2006
        1. Medical Student
          according to goljan in his audio lectures, he said that the most common metastasis to the liver is from the lung (colon being the second most common)....i remember him repeating "lung beat colon, lung beat colon"....but in FA 2005 (pg 230) it mentions that lung is the LEAST common site (colon being the most common). i just did a question in usmlerx about this and the answer is colon. so is goljan WAY off on this??[/QUOTE
          I agree with colon. i asked my prof about this question and he said GIT.
          Hope this helps

About the Ads

trudub

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 23, 2003
          Nebraska
            Definitely colon. Blood flow goes directly from the colon to the liver and thus has the highest incidence of metastasis. The same holds true for the liver. If the liver is the primary tumor site (hepatocellular carcinoma), the most common metastatic site is to the lung by hematogenous dissemination. So, lung metastasis from liver is the most common but liver metastasis from lung is not the most common (the colon is).

trudub

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Oct 23, 2003
            Nebraska
              goljan says in his nutrition lecture that the problem in scurvy is in the golgi apparatus, according to FA (pg 146 2005 ed.) its in the ER....and my exam is tomorrow....i dont need this:mad:

The problem in scurvy is that vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is necessary for hydroxylation of residues in collagen synthesis. As a result, collagen is malformed leading to the myriad of symptoms you see in scurvy. This hydroxylation occurs in the endoplasmic reticulum. The malfolded procollagen molecules stack up in the endoplasmic reticulum and never make it to the golgi.

anon-y-mouse

10+ Year Member
              Nov 14, 2005
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Definitely colon. Blood flow goes directly from the colon to the liver and thus has the highest incidence of metastasis. The same holds true for the liver. If the liver is the primary tumor site (hepatocellular carcinoma), the most common metastatic site is to the lung by hematogenous dissemination. So, lung metastasis from liver is the most common but liver metastasis from lung is not the most common (the colon is).

Can you explain the route of hematogenous dissemination from liver to lung? I'm guessing hepatic vein -> IVC -> heart -> pulmonary arteries -> lung?

bluesdude

On My Way
                10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                May 25, 2005
                Ignorancevill
                1. Resident [Any Field]

And in children the most common primary sources are neuroblastoma,Wilms tumor, or leukemia.
                  http://www.emedicine.com/Radio/topic394.htm#section~introduction

dermpathdoc

DO Path
                  10+ Year Member
                  Aug 24, 2005
                  Pacific Northwest
                  1. Attending Physician

yes, Goljan is way off on this..GI tract is MC mets to liver...I am surprised he as a pathologist is saying lung...
                    umdnjpathology

pathman2006

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Jul 7, 2005

Hepatocellular carcinoma is the most common type of primary liver cancer. Colorectal carcinoma is the most common source of metastatic liver cancer

source : http://www.mdanderson.org/departments/ltsg/

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.