Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All,
I am looking for a law reference such as "title 21 chapter 1306 paragraph 1 subsection b of the federal code of regulations," That describes the law which states that pharmacists may not dispense methadone with an indication of detoxification or maintenance of opiate addiction. It should also state that a MD may not prescribe methadone for the maintenance of addiction unless they are part of an opiate addiction treatment program. I am getting ready to write hospital protocol on how methadone clinic patients will be handled at our hospital.
I have looked numerous places including Abood's law book, section 5 of title 1 comprehensive drug abuse prevention and control act of 1970, section 3 of the narcotic addict treatment act of 1974 and the drug addiction treatment act (DATA 106-310).
I have failed to find the law to specifically quote. Our basic premise will be ambulatory care type of patients (ED admits) will not be able to receive methadone or a prescription for it to maintain detoxification. If the patient is admitted then they will be able to receive a continuation of their therapy once their specific methadone clinic has been contacted and confirms that they are indeed a methadone clinic patient.
If any of you have specific methadone policies in your hospital and would like to share please let me know.
Thanks for the help,
DR
I am looking for a law reference such as "title 21 chapter 1306 paragraph 1 subsection b of the federal code of regulations," That describes the law which states that pharmacists may not dispense methadone with an indication of detoxification or maintenance of opiate addiction. It should also state that a MD may not prescribe methadone for the maintenance of addiction unless they are part of an opiate addiction treatment program. I am getting ready to write hospital protocol on how methadone clinic patients will be handled at our hospital.
I have looked numerous places including Abood's law book, section 5 of title 1 comprehensive drug abuse prevention and control act of 1970, section 3 of the narcotic addict treatment act of 1974 and the drug addiction treatment act (DATA 106-310).
I have failed to find the law to specifically quote. Our basic premise will be ambulatory care type of patients (ED admits) will not be able to receive methadone or a prescription for it to maintain detoxification. If the patient is admitted then they will be able to receive a continuation of their therapy once their specific methadone clinic has been contacted and confirms that they are indeed a methadone clinic patient.
If any of you have specific methadone policies in your hospital and would like to share please let me know.
Thanks for the help,
DR