Methodist Hospital-Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Click Here!

PGY 2
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here a resident at Methodist? Anyone interview there? If so could you describe the SurgPath schedule; my notes don't make any sense to me. :oops: (This is what happens when you do 3 interviews in 3 days.)

Any other thoughts about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

i will visit Methodist. any information will be appreciated!

no one ever visited the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah, any thoughts about Methodist and NEMC? thanks.

i haven't visit Methodist myself, but one of the pathologist I've worked with is very familiar with the faculty and residency program, and he had very good things to say about it, and strongly encouraged me to apply. they recently split from baylor, but the path department is well established and supposedly had a very smooth transition. he felt very strongly that the training would be optimal and that the faculty were very intelligent. its a very nice, private hospital, so i suspect scutwork would be minimal.
thats all i know....

yaah, any thoughts about Methodist and NEMC? thanks.

NEMC is in a virtual combat zone in downtown Boston. I don't know anything else about it other than it is fairly small, 3 residents/year or so. I'm sure they have solid training but it probably isn't the top of the heap either. I think DeLellis was there in the past but he went to Brown.

The only thing I know about Methodist is that it is in Texas, and that might even be wrong.

The NEMC area isn't THAT bad...it's near the theater district and there are some good bars with kickass beers there!

NEMC is in a virtual combat zone in downtown Boston. I don't know anything else about it other than it is fairly small, 3 residents/year or so. I'm sure they have solid training but it probably isn't the top of the heap either. I think DeLellis was there in the past but he went to Brown.

The only thing I know about Methodist is that it is in Texas, and that might even be wrong.

OK OK, you might be right. I just know a couple of people who got beat up and/or shot near NEMC so I am biased.

OK OK, you might be right. I just know a couple of people who got beat up and/or shot near NEMC so I am biased.
Oh? That's news to me.

Ppl get shot everyday.

At least Boston ain't no DC where you hear of murders on the news EVERYDAY.

At least Boston ain't no DC where you hear of murders on the news EVERYDAY.

Ha. A good friend of mine is an Emergency Med R2 at BUMC and they see people with bulletholes in them during most shifts; I guess they don't all die. :smuggrin:

I found the environment at Methodist to be rather tense and humorless. Some folks really seem to dig it, but if I had to spend four years there I'm pretty sure I'd end up taking a nosedive into a wood chipper.

Since no one here knew, here's the response I got from the chief resident:

Surgical Path Schedule:
Day 1: Frozen Section
- perform frozen section cases and gross in frozen section cases
Day 2: Sign out frozen
- preview and dictate cases in morning and sign out in afternoon with attending
Day 3: Float (when possible): finish additional material from more complicated cases and then help in gross and frozen room if needed
Day 4: Gross: Gross Routines
Day 5 Sign out routines: Preview in morning and signout in afternoon
Day 6: biopsy: arrive early and preview, order specials, in morning; dictate and then sign out in afternoon

This is the approximate schedule and first years don't do much biopsy sign out, and may have a few more times doing gross/routine

There isn't really a set schedule.

As you progress through the program you get more biopsy and frozen days
and less routine grossing.