methyl shifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyD0119

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey for orgo...i know about methyl shifts and hydride shifts in E1....but i was thinkin that they can happen in Sn1 too...anyone have any examples that can help me out w/ this?
also for those who have taken the dat have you seen any really complicated reactions on the test??

Members don't see this ad.

This is all fair game for the DAT...but methyl shifts do occur during Sn1 reactions, infact, any reaction that allows for rearrangements through formation of a carbocation can allow for this. Goodluck.

dexadental said:
This is all fair game for the DAT...but methyl shifts do occur during Sn1 reactions, infact, any reaction that allows for rearrangements through formation of a carbocation can allow for this. Goodluck.

Yeah, like dexa said, any reaction that forms a carbocation (like E1 or SN1) as well as like adding HBr or H20 to an alkene are capable of rearranging via hydride or methyl shifts. I dont remember any super complex reactions, but maybe ones involving benzene rings and then adding like Br2/FeBr3 and then adding say CH3CH2Cl/AlCl3-- just testing if you know that Br2 would be a 1,2 or 1,4 substituent. Also they may do the reverse and show the reactant and product and expect you to come up w/ what the reactants would require to get to that product, like get from benzene to 4-methyl-bezoic acid (I'd say 2 but maybe 3 max steps for these types of problems). I found that flat out knowing these omp directors/activators and deactivators (like that br is a deactivator but actually ortho/para) was super helpful.

Joeybag said:
Yeah, like dexa said, any reaction that forms a carbocation (like E1 or SN1) as well as like adding HBr or H20 to an alkene are capable of rearranging via hydride or methyl shifts. I dont remember any super complex reactions, but maybe ones involving benzene rings and then adding like Br2/FeBr3 and then adding say CH3CH2Cl/AlCl3-- just testing if you know that Br2 would be a 1,2 or 1,4 substituent. Also they may do the reverse and show the reactant and product and expect you to come up w/ what the reactants would require to get to that product, like get from benzene to 4-methyl-bezoic acid (I'd say 2 but maybe 3 max steps for these types of problems). I found that flat out knowing these omp directors/activators and deactivators (like that br is a deactivator but actually ortho/para) was super helpful.

Did you find that you needed to know the order of strength of the activators/deactivators? Obviously NH2 is stronger activator than CH3, but others are not so obvious, would you recommend memorizing the order?

mochafreak said:
Did you find that you needed to know the order of strength of the activators/deactivators? Obviously NH2 is stronger activator than CH3, but others are not so obvious, would you recommend memorizing the order?

I don't recall that being an issue, but I couldn't promise what the testmakers might do either. Obviously if there's two possible choices that could be or seemed correct, I would try and sort out the strong from the weak, but if you had to just remember the strongest and weakest activators/deactivators and that probably would be enough( i.e you probably dont want to start try and and add nitro first and then OH.) In terms of if a ketone or aldehyde are stronger deactivators, I highly doubt the testmakers would be so anal.