Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

mexican study abroad programs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by uclacrewdude, Mar 26, 2004.

1. uclacrewdude

uclacrewdude the uclacrewdude abides
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey kids, how many of you have studied abroad as medical students in mexico? im thinking of signing up for Salud, but it seems like i would basically just be shadowing around the hospital. are there any programs that you folks particularly liked? i suppose anything in mexico would be fantastic, but i would prefer something perhaps a little more hands on. please share!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chicamedica

chicamedica 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hey, I did the UAG (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) medical spanish program. It was cheaper than salud and you can do as much or as little as you want clinically. The clinical aspect was in a lost-cost small clinic in a poor section of town, but I LOVED it. I went between MS-1 and MS-2, and so I didn't really know how to do much, but I got to see a LOT and I learned a ton of spanish that you wouldn't be able to learn in books. I did learn how to take BPs really went, and I got my first intro to suturing there! I got to see a lot of gyne stuff too, b/c the ob/gyn doc was really awesome and loved having students around. And I'm not the most aggressive person. You can do more if you want.

Also there was an EM resident in the program with me as well, and he arranged to spend clinical time riding around with the paramedics (cruz verde). So things are definitely flexible. However, I really wanted to shadow for at least a day at one of the main hospitals, but they couldn't arrange it mostly because I was only a first-year med student--I guess liability-wise. At least that's what they told me.

Besides the clinical aspect there were courses as well. You get placed into the appropriate grammar level, and for the med spanish program, there is the med spanish course that you go to. All the coursework is through the humanities department of the university, and there are many other classes too, like literature or conversation. Besides the med spanish program, there are lots of foreign exchange students taking the classes. So you get to interact with a lot of people. (and it's sometimes not possible to revert to english with them, b/c many are from places like Korea or France!)

I went 2 years ago, and I know they have changed things a lot since I went (for the better I think). If you're interested, I can give you some contact info so you can find out more.