Meyers neuropsychological system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyNeuro37

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at a site that mentioned that they use this battery and system. I was curious if anyone is familiar with it and its evidence base? This is the first I'm hearing of it, so I was wondering how its use is viewed in clinical practice.

Members don't see this ad.

It's just newish norms for most of the tests in Straus and Spreen, and the Barona(s). Uses Rohling's Interpretive Method, which has shown equivalent sensitivity and specificity as the Halstead Reitan's Impairment Index (ignore that other HRB index because it's based off of terminal brain cancer patients).

If Larrabee says it's legit, and it was created by a former president of NAN... you okay.

In case you're looking for the literature base, it is also called the "ability focused" neuropsych battery in the literature.

Reactions: 3 users
I was exposed to it on postdoc. The battery uses traditional neuropsych tests (think RAVLT, Rey CFT, etc.) and I believe they are administered in a set order....and then the norms come from something derived by Meyers. I believe it also offers some reliable change indices, but I'm foggy on this. Can't say I used it frequently. I found the software to be outdated and cumbersome (but not sure if that's just reflective of the version my site had). I'm sure someone here can offer insight into specific populations that it's best used for, as well as the strength of the norms - I'm not sure about this stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, I would say it's a solid normative system. I use it regularly for some instruments, but generally don't administer the entirety of the possible battery. The program takes some getting used to and isn't "cutting edge" in terms of its design or programming, but it's not really any more convoluted than the newer (e.g., PsychCorp) or older (e.g., computerized scoring for Heaton norms) programs out there. It also allows for a good amount of customization (that I haven't taken advantage of). I appreciate that there's no per-use fee, and many of the required forms and materials are included with the product's subscription. Meyers himself is also typically very responsive if you have questions.

Reactions: 1 user
@PsyDr are you seeing this used in the IME world much in your neck of the woods. I'm newish, but haven't seen it yet in records I've reviewed. Of course I usually see hack batteries, so that may explain some of it.

No neck of the woods, really. I'm national at this point.

Only two large groups use this in IMEs right now.

Reactions: 1 user