MFM fellow lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuakerJack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My significant other is considering MFM fellowship. I want to be supportive but the resident lifestyle has also been hard on us. Are there MFM fellowships with reasonable hours, like 50-60 hours per week (not 80) and golden weekends? Or are we looking at more of the same for 3 more years?

Members don't see this ad.

My significant other is considering MFM fellowship. I want to be supportive but the resident lifestyle has also been hard on us. Are there MFM fellowships with reasonable hours, like 50-60 hours per week (not 80) and golden weekends? Or are we looking at more of the same for 3 more years?

The hours and call requirements vary by program, but it’s generally better hours than residency. I’m in a more call-heavy program so the hours can be similar to residency during some rotations, but mostly not as bad. We also have over 12 months of research rotations throughout, which I mostly work from home during, so that’s certainly a lot better than residency :).

Reactions: 1 users
MFM fellowship has been excellent; not even in the same world as Residency work hours wise. I'd suppose it is program by program, but clinic weeks rarely go over 45-50 hours (without call) and research makes up 18 of the 36 months and is basically work from home if you wish. On call is one weekend 24H and one weekday overnight a month, which is easily manageable.

Members don't see this ad :)
MFM fellowship has been excellent; not even in the same world as Residency work hours wise. I'd suppose it is program by program, but clinic weeks rarely go over 45-50 hours (without call) and research makes up 18 of the 36 months and is basically work from home if you wish. On call is one weekend 24H and one weekday overnight a month, which is easily manageable.

Can you/are you moonlighting during fellowship?

Started recently. Research months are variable obviously. Clinic months are rounds at 630/7then clinic till 5-6 pm M-F. All weekends are protected and off for fellows. No in house call.

Can you/are you moonlighting during fellowship?

This is also program dependent. At my program, you can moonlight (if you pick up any extra Labor & Delivery calls, you are paid at an attending rate for those shifts).