MFM Fellowship Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-2 from a community program, considering MFM fellowship. Any advice on how to prepare? Aside from research/publications, anything I can do to improve my CV? Should I start getting ultrasound certifications? What is the timeline for applying?

I have an elective rotation next year, any advice on what I should do? I thought about an away, but I talked to some people who said I wouldn't get to do much than observe.

I've already read through the Fellowship sticky on this forum, SMFM website, and searched through past threads, but they're mostly 10+ years old. It seems difficult to find information given it's a smaller field.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump . Any resources anyone can point me to would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Double bump

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm an FPMRS fellow but have friends who applied and matched into MFM fellowship so take what I say with a grain of salt. Everyone I know that has matched in MFM (n=3) had done an away rotation somewhere, where they either matched or got good LORs, they trained at an academic program but without a fellowship or any "famous faculty". It seems like MFM is like the surgical fellowships as in it's about "who you know". So that would be my recommendation for you, if you don't have well known faculty or faculty with strong connections to fellowships plan on doing an away rotation your pgy-3 at some place that has a fellowship program. We have people from surrounding programs come and do aways with us in urogyn and they get letters from our faculty.

Research is also very important if you can't get a mansucript by the time you apply at least try for a podium presentation, not sure how MFM programs feel about non-Mfm research but in urogyn any published or presented research counts because it shows you can be academically productive and fellowship directors care about that (again extropalating from urogyn to Mfm)

Lastly do well on CREOGs I don't think you need to score in the 99th% but your score has to rise from year to year, I know people who've matched with average scores in all fellowships but they always improved

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a PGY-2 from a community program, considering MFM fellowship. Any advice on how to prepare? Aside from research/publications, anything I can do to improve my CV? Should I start getting ultrasound certifications? What is the timeline for applying?

I have an elective rotation next year, any advice on what I should do? I thought about an away, but I talked to some people who said I wouldn't get to do much than observe.

I've already read through the Fellowship sticky on this forum, SMFM website, and searched through past threads, but they're mostly 10+ years old. It seems difficult to find information given it's a smaller field.

No secret to getting a fellowship and things haven't changed much.

Not sure how important CREOG scores are for MFM. Probably more so for you since you are coming from a community program.

Away may be helpful, especially if able to do it with well known faculty . Letter's like those go a long way.

At the end of the day, reputation of your program means a lot. Good LOR from well known faculty are equally important.

MFM fellowship spots are somewhat ubiquitous and are moderately competitive. As long as you do reasonably well on your exams and have strong references you should do okay. It also doesnt hurt if any of your faculty could make some calls...

I applied and matched this year. If I can be of any help please let me know

Reactions: 1 users
I applied and matched this year. If I can be of any help please let me know

What about working as an attending for 3-4 years before fellowship? I realize I might not have the motivation to go back to training, just wondering how it might be viewed from the fellowship program side.

What about working as an attending for 3-4 years before fellowship? I realize I might not have the motivation to go back to training, just wondering how it might be viewed from the fellowship program side.

It shouldn't matter as long as your researh and LORs are not also 3-4 years old. I know of 2 Mfm fellows who were attendings for 3 years and one fpmrs fellow who was an attending and none of them had issues. You're right motivation might be a big issue as will going down to 25% of your attending salary, though if you're an attending at an institution with a need for an Mfm they might be willing to pay you a stipend if you sign a contract to come back