MFM Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a good idea as to what the typical lifestyle of a perinatologist is. I'm currently a 4th year medical student, and I know when I did my OB rotation the MFM's at my program all did deliveries, however I have heard that most MFM's don't. Does anyone know if they tend to have regular hours and work more in outpatient settings? Any information that people have about the specialty would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It varies. Some MFM's have their own patients and therefore do their own deliveries. Others are just consultants and help manage patients but the primary OB does the delivery. Some practices hire a hospitalist to do their deliveries which is why they can have a good lifestyle as they are not driving to the hospital in the middle of the night for a delivery. You can basically do whatever suits you when you finish your fellowship. Plus those level 2/detailed anatomy ultrasounds pay pretty well. MFM's can make a lot of money.