MFM -why is there such a discrepancy between academia and private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerfluxxed

Reaction score
Money is definitely not the end-all-be-all of this specialty...but...

Why is it that the average salary for a Maternal/Fetal Medicine physician is ~460K (salary.com), ~420K (Economic Research Institute), ~$430K (Comparably) on google, but ~200-300K at the academic institution where I am training? (It's ~380K average on the 2019 MGMA spreadsheet floating around).

Which of these numbers is closer to reality? It doesn't seem like the MFMs at my institution work part time at a private practice - that's a lot of income to give up....

Members don't see this ad.

Money is definitely not the end-all-be-all of this specialty...but...

Why is it that the average salary for a Maternal/Fetal Medicine physician is ~460K (salary.com), ~420K (Economic Research Institute), ~$430K (Comparably) on google, but ~200-300K at the academic institution where I am training? (It's ~380K average on the 2019 MGMA spreadsheet floating around).

Which of these numbers is closer to reality? It doesn't seem like the MFMs at my institution work part time at a private practice - that's a lot of income to give up....

Depends on the institution.

University of California salaries are public for example.

The MFMs at UC Irvine for example are making $400k to $500k. You will find similar numbers for UCLA as well.

Are you certain that is their salary? Unless it's someone trusted or you can see a W2, you can never be certain. Plus, if they are more academic and less clinical, salaries will take a hit. Also depends on the amount of admin time, vacation etc.

Some academic centers will low ball but I think it is very center dependent.

Typically what I see now from most academic centers is two paths for faculty. One is a traditional research path with less clinical duties and a similar pay cut. The other is nearly all clinical with better pay. Basically like a private practice/community physician but with the name of the institution behind you.

Thank you for your response!

The academic MFMs are making that much at UC Irvine? That's insane.
I just looked up the salaries for the professors at UCSD, but I think I only looked at the assistant/associate professors. Thanks for the insight - it's a long path and I'd like to stay in academia...