MFT Job Outlook and Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In guys opinion, what do you all think the job outlook is like for marriage and family therapy? I looked it up on the BLS website and it says 14%. Also what opportunities are usually out there? Can a licensed marriage and family therapist get the same jobs as mental health counselors? If you had a choice between the LPC and the LMFT path which would you choose? Which job path do you think has more opportunity?

Thank you all! I’m really struggling between these two options. I started a unaccredited online masters in counseling program two years ago but had to stop so now I’m considering what to do next and which path is better. I also plan on not doing an online program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, it goes (1) social work (2) LPC (3) large space (4) LMFT.

Social work has enjoyed the better lobby and has more national recognition, but LPCs are catching up. LPCs ostensibly get better training on individual therapy out of the three. Social Work has the least amount of psychotherapy training (though some programs are better than others), but the degree itself offers a lot of career options.

LMFT training is really focused on families and couples work, but you can easily attain this with some postgraduate supervision that you have to do anyways. I would say any is a feasible path and shouldn't hurt job prospects too much, but it depends on what you want. Between the two options, LPCs have the better national support at the moment though social work has everyone beat. I know that LMFTs have been historically favored in CA where LPC/LMHCs have a bit more power on the east coast so there's also regional variance to consider.

Last edited:
MFTs are more likely to go into private practice and I think that’s partially due to the lack of institution-based jobs for this degree compared to other degrees.

I know some MFTs who work in the VA system but they are doing exclusively couples counseling as their credential might not be recognized for general, individual outpatient like PSTD treatment that all LCSWs and some LPCs are able to acquire easily.

However this is changing in positive directions for LMFT license holders (especially in areas where the demand outstrips the supply and systems are forced to adapt).

Still I would not recommend this degree for somebody who has zero interest in private practice (either solo or in a group practice) since that is not a good path for everybody.

Depending on the area, there can be a lot of demand for cash pay couples counseling (or not so much) so do some research on where you’d like to live and what kind of rates are being charged so if you think you’d enjoy that kind of work and don’t think you’ll be reliant on employer sponsored health insurance and benefits, this could be a good path.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add that as clinical director of treatment programs hiring different midlevel therapists, I felt that the MFT folk were the ones with the best skills. Too much variability in the LPC path and some of those were the worst and social work a bit limited in psychotherapy training. I also think that having a variety of perspectives is helpful so I was always glad to have all of the above. I always hired from a diversity perspective, since our clients are pretty diverse and I like a wide range of tools.

In guys opinion, what do you all think the job outlook is like for marriage and family therapy? I looked it up on the BLS website and it says 14%. Also what opportunities are usually out there? Can a licensed marriage and family therapist get the same jobs as mental health counselors? If you had a choice between the LPC and the LMFT path which would you choose? Which job path do you think has more opportunity?

Thank you all! I’m really struggling between these two options. I started a unaccredited online masters in counseling program two years ago but had to stop so now I’m considering what to do next and which path is better. I also plan on not doing an online program.
My friends who have gotten their LMFT licenses have all gotten good jobs pretty quickly and the jobs pay pretty well. I don't know where the 14% number comes from but that sounds wrong. I'm not sure about the LPCC route. I should note that this is in California, maybe it is different in other states? Some friends are having trouble graduating on time due to their practicum and getting enough client hours.