MFT Program interview tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myasiankey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got invited to interview for two of the MFT programs that I applied for. One interview includes a one-on-one interview with a faculty member AND a group interview. The other school requires a looong 3-4 hour group interview.

First of all, I've never done a group interview and have no idea what to expect. Secondly, I am looking for any tips on how I should prepare for the faculty interview. I would LOVE your help! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just did a group interview for Loma Linda's MFT program yesterday...I thought it would be somehow more intimidating than a one-on-one interview, but I actually liked it better. I'm not sure if yours will require you to answer the questions in the order of the circle or if you can just answer randomly. But if you can just answer when you feel ready, it's an advantage over the traditional one-on-one interview because you have more time to think of your responses, and you can get ideas of how to answer based on others' responses and relate to what others are saying. The only awkward part for me was that it was three one hour long interviews with the same group of people, but different faculty members each time. So we had to keep repeating our same answers that everyone in the group had already heard. Hopefully you don't have to deal with that for yours, but if you do, it's really not a huge deal anyway.

I haven't done any one-on-one faculty interviews yet, but I would just suggest the common sense approach of thinking of some typical questions they may ask you and prepare an answer for them ahead of time. One admissions counselor told me that I might be asked who my favorite theorist is and why, but that was for a psy.d program, so I'm not sure if an MFT program would ask the same. I'm not sure if you have the group interview before the faculty interview, but if you do, that should be helpful because the group interview will give you a good feel for what to expect and good practice in how to answer.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Can I ask, which schools have you been invited to interview for?

Hi Tessie, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I got invited to interview for Sonoma State and San Diego so far. I am hoping my first choice school will come through soon.

I am wondering if in the group interview, they asked you more specific psych questions, such as the one you mentioned as an example (your favorite theorist?). I never studied psych in school and have only first hand experience of having been to psychology and a few classes to back up my qualifications, so I am a bit nervous about more specialized questions.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're welcome...I'm pretty excited about the whole interview process right now, so I like talking about it :)

No, they didn't ask any specific psychology questions at all. (I think the only reason the admissions lady mentioned the theorist example was because that was for a psychology doctorate program). The most specific question that the MFT interviewer asked was "Why are you pursuing an MFT degree rather than psychology?". That one was kind of tough for me to answer because one of my initial reasons for doing the MFT is because I don't think I would get into a psychology program right now, so if I get an MFT, then I'll have a better chance of getting into a psych program later. But of course I can't say something like that! But everyone has been telling me that since I only want to do therapy, and not teaching or research, then an MFT degree is just fine. So I just said because I was interested in just doing therapy, rather than teaching or research in my career.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't worry about not being a psych major, because a lot of people at the interview weren't psych majors (I was pretty suprised at how many weren't!). I think more than one person was actually environmental analysis and design or something pretty random like that. And they all did really well in the group interview.

Anyway, good luck again! What's your first choice school? (I'm just curious if we applied to any of the same programs).

Well, that is reassuring! I'm not sure I know who my favorite theorist is! I still have a little less than 2 weeks to prep so I will definitely think through the common questions that I will be asked. My first choice is San Francisco State because I live in the area and would prefer not to move away. Did you apply there too?

lol. good, I'm glad it's reassuring. Really, all I did was think about what the might ask me and why I'm passionate about pursuing the degree. Other than that, I didn't prep...I didn't write down any notes or anything. No, I didn't apply to San Francisco State- I was thinking the same way as you, that I didn't want to move too far away (I'm from So Cal). But I initially was planning on applying there because it seems like a great school.

I applied to multiple to multiple MFT programs in California, including San Francisco State. I have my first interview on Wednesday and am starting to feel very overwhelmed while trying to prepare. I was curious if you had any pointers and also if you have heard back from SFSU?

No, I haven't heard back from SFSU & am unsure if they have an interview process as well. They are my #1 choice so I am really hoping to get a call or email from them in the next month or so!!

I also have an MFT program interview coming up and I am somewhat nervous. It's a two part process: We begin with a group type interview session where we must role-play as the 'therapists' with 'clients' (approx 10 mins) and all the applicants watch you do this.
Then there are individual interviews. Also, there is a lunch Q&A session.

I don't mind the individual interview and for the OP I would just say as long as this is what you really want to do, you shouldn't have a problem answering their questions. But I am nervous about the role-play part especially with other applicants observing.
Any suggestions or tips?

Well, maybe we'll both end up at SFSU :) Good luck with your interviews. I've had two so far.. and no trick questions whatsoever. Just be prepared to answer very specifically why you are pursuing an MFT and not another degree.

I just had my first interview at Sonoma State today, and it was great, very comfortable, and straightforward questions. it involved a half hour interview with two faculty members and then a 20 minute interview with a small group of applicants. In the group interview, they just had us talk about some of our experiences while they observed our interactions and took notes. But honestly there was only so much interacting you could do, and I'm pretty positive that the group interview will not be a huge component of their final decision.

I have one more tomorrow at SDSU--the 3-4 hour group interview. Wish me luck!

Have you heard anything yet from SFSU? I received a financial aid award letter, but no acceptance? I can't find anything about an interview process either. I hope the financial aid is a good sign!!

Nope, haven't heard back yet!:( Did you get a financial aid letter in the mail? I haven't heard back from them either.

It seems that you all are looking at schools in CA, but is anyone here looking at MFT programs in NY? There is one at Hofstra and I was wondering if anyone applied there and/or going there.
What about CSUN?

Does anyone know the difference between MFT in CA and NY?

No, via e-mail. I called though and they said they haven't made final decisions. Seems weird to bother sending out financial aid award letters to people not yet admitted.

I just heard back from SFSU yesterday & did not get into their program :( I am very sad about it but still waiting to hear back from two more schools.

I just heard back from SFSU yesterday & did not get into their program :( I am very sad about it but still waiting to hear back from two more schools.

I'm sorry, I didn't get into the program either. So depressing. I did, however, get into Pepperdine and am still waiting to hear from Santa Clara University and California Lutheran University... guess I need to start looking for grants and scholarships.. I hope everything works out for you and let me know how it goes.