Step I MG & Eaton-Lambert

Started by vsmedic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vsmedic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone please summarize for me the pathophys behind the two diseases, and the symptomatic difference. Or point me to a good source that would do this..

Tia
 
Myasthenia Gravis is when antibodies attach to the post-synaptic receptor, preventing ACh from binding.

Eaton-Lambert acts on the pre-synaptic area, prevents Calcium influx which then prevents the RELEASE of ACh. It can occur secondary to certain cancers.

MG worsens with repeated movements, whereas Eaton-Lambert gets better with repeated movements.

There is my ghetto summary from memory.
 
Last edited:
wait...from memory, I thought Eaton Lambert is pre-synaptic CALCIUM receptors?

I believe the antibodies bind to the pre-synaptic calcium CHANNELS thereby preventing the release of Ach. I think it has something to do with the fact that by blocking the entry of Calcium the process of vesicle binding to the pre-synaptic membrane cannot occur so Ach cannot be released from the vesicles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe the antibodies bind to the pre-synaptic calcium CHANNELS thereby preventing the release of Ach. I think it has something to do with the fact that by blocking the entry of Calcium the process of vesicle binding to the pre-synaptic membrane cannot occur so Ach cannot be released from the vesicles.

Yeah, I forgot mentioning that. Calcium influx is needed to release the ACh. Let me update my previous post...