Program-Specific Info / Q's MGH IHP 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT&me

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just wanted to start a thread for those of us considering going to MGH IHP for the program that starts summer 2022! I'm not 100% sure I'm going, but I wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts on the program: pros, cons, things they've heard, etc. I love the interdisciplinary coursework and the hands-on OT center they have, but I am a little concerned about being overshadowed by other Boston programs, as well as the commute to Navy Yard from more affordable/fun neighborhoods. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or is definitely going!! ((((:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!! I'm so happy you made this, I was looking for one!

I'm about 95% sure I'm going! It's such an amazing program and Boston, in general, is a great place to go for healthcare schooling because of all of the med schools/hospitals nearby so it's really great for networking. And yeah I love how the program is very hands-on and works interprofessionally with other healthcare careers. I'm not from Boston, so I'm not familiar with where all of the fun areas to go are.. how far would you say it is? And did you receive any scholarships from the school?

I also love how small the school is because it will be very easy to get help from the school if needed, compared to BU which is a huge school.

Hi!! I'm so happy you made this, I was looking for one!

I'm about 95% sure I'm going! It's such an amazing program and Boston, in general, is a great place to go for healthcare schooling because of all of the med schools/hospitals nearby so it's really great for networking. And yeah I love how the program is very hands-on and works interprofessionally with other healthcare careers. I'm not from Boston, so I'm not familiar with where all of the fun areas to go are.. how far would you say it is? And did you receive any scholarships from the school?

I also love how small the school is because it will be very easy to get help from the school if needed, compared to BU which is a huge school.
I was talking to someone who graduated from the OTD program a year or two ago, and she said she loved the Somerville area because it was mostly a younger crowd! She said that living closer to MGH (i.e. the Charlestown area) was a good bit more expensive and tended to have more families/professionals, but that it was walkable and easy to find fun jobs like babysitting or dog walking. Somerville seems to be around 35-50 minutes on public transit though, which is a little bit of a hassle, but not too bad!!

And yes, I got over half off tuition in scholarship money, which is a HUGE plus and I am so grateful!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to someone who graduated from the OTD program a year or two ago, and she said she loved the Somerville area because it was mostly a younger crowd! She said that living closer to MGH (i.e. the Charlestown area) was a good bit more expensive and tended to have more families/professionals, but that it was walkable and easy to find fun jobs like babysitting or dog walking. Somerville seems to be around 35-50 minutes on public transit though, which is a little bit of a hassle, but not too bad!!

And yes, I got over half off tuition in scholarship money, which is a HUGE plus and I am so grateful!!
where else are you considering going to?

where else are you considering going to?
I also got into BU, but it's a lot more expensive so unless I could petition them for more money they're kinda off the table. I'm still waiting to hear from a few others before I make my final final decision though!!

Hi there! I got into the MGH IHP program for summer 2022. I have multiple friends who go there but all of them commute from home (Boston suburbs)! Since I’m from Boston I’m familiar with the area. All of my friends love IHP and the relationship with the Partners Healthcare system (MGH, B & W, Childrens, Spaulding etc) is incredible. The relationship with these hospitals will be an amazing opportunity for students and I know students have gotten job opportunities through fieldwork placements at these sites. I know many of the courses are multidisciplinary and you will work with PT students often. A lot of the work is group based and that works well for a lot of people. I’m most likely going to be attending Boston University instead of IHP but they are lucky to have you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! I got into the MGH IHP program for summer 2022. I have multiple friends who go there but all of them commute from home (Boston suburbs)! Since I’m from Boston I’m familiar with the area. All of my friends love IHP and the relationship with the Partners Healthcare system (MGH, B & W, Childrens, Spaulding etc) is incredible. The relationship with these hospitals will be an amazing opportunity for students and I know students have gotten job opportunities through fieldwork placements at these sites. I know many of the courses are multidisciplinary and you will work with PT students often. A lot of the work is group based and that works well for a lot of people. I’m most likely going to be attending Boston University instead of IHP but they are lucky to have you!
this made me so excited to go there, thank you!! Do you have any recommendations on fun places to live? I was thinking maybe North End?

Hi i was also accepted into MGH with a scholarship! Not 100 percent sure if I'm attending yet but it is definitely likely. Is there a facebook group or a groupme?

Hi i was also accepted into MGH with a scholarship! Not 100 percent sure if I'm attending yet but it is definitely likely. Is there a facebook group or a groupme?
I've been looking for one too, let me know if you find one!

I've been looking for one too, let me know if you find one!
ahh yes please let me know if there is a facebook group or group me? if not maybe we should start one