MGH Panel Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchplease99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While feeling extremely thrilled to receive the invitation from MGH (IM Categorical Track), I also feel worried how's the panel interview would be?

Can anyone interviewed at MGH before share his/her experience ?

How long is the panel interview? What's the structure of the interview?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Greatest interview experience ever. No s***. Everyone is friendly, you only have to answer a question once. And the panel is also trying not to look bad amongst themselves so the questions are really good.

Don't sweat it. It really was the best interview experience I had.

Are there any other programs that also do the panel interview besides MGH? Or anything besides the traditional 1-to-1 format?

Members don't see this ad :)
I never had any panel interviews for residency but I had a couple when doing fellowship interviews. I found them not bad. Better than answering the same damn questions over and over again to five people (though to be fair most of my medicine interviews were with only one or two people typically)

While feeling extremely thrilled to receive the invitation from MGH (IM Categorical Track), I also feel worried how's the panel interview would be?

Can anyone interviewed at MGH before share his/her experience ?

How long is the panel interview? What's the structure of the interview?

Thank you very much.

I will differ from Gutonc here. I did not like it much. It is much harder to build a rapport with 6 people and I just felt the interview was cold and distant, much of how I felt MGH in general was. While it wasn't malignant and the questions were reasonable, it felt very impersonal.

Greatest interview experience ever. No s***. Everyone is friendly, you only have to answer a question once. And the panel is also trying not to look bad amongst themselves so the questions are really good.

Don't sweat it. It really was the best interview experience I had.
Gonna second this, as I interviewed for prelim. Great panel. We all had fun.

Definitely one of my best interviews, one of the only ones that actually asked me questions relevant to my application rather than simply asking me what I wanted to know about the program.

Has anyone heard back from them since the interview? There's supposedly a "rank to match" call the panel chairs make for some candidates, though of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt as is the policy with all post-interview communication.

Definitely one of my best interviews, one of the only ones that actually asked me questions relevant to my application rather than simply asking me what I wanted to know about the program.

Has anyone heard back from them since the interview? There's supposedly a "rank to match" call the panel chairs make for some candidates, though of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt as is the policy with all post-interview communication.
I got a phone call from my panel chair back in December (~2 weeks after my interview date) but it was just to see if I had any additional questions about the program.