MGH Phone-Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermie1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a prelim internal medicine candidate for MGH, but got a phone-call from my panel chair this morning (he left message as I was in clinic). Anyway, just wondering if anyone else got one of these. He said he would call back later today or tomorrow. Should I prepare any questions, etc. in preparation? Do they call everyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a categorical and have not heard anything, though it seems really early even for MGH which I know has done phone calls in the past. Doubt you need to prepare anything other than to let them know how much you love them in return. From postings from previous years, it seems MGH does call people although even if they give you the "ranking you to match" line it doesn't necessarily mean you will match if you rank them #1. On the opposite side, people have posted about matching there without one of these phone calls. I'm sure a call doesn't hurt though!

I'm a categorical and have not heard anything, though it seems really early even for MGH which I know has done phone calls in the past. Doubt you need to prepare anything other than to let them know how much you love them in return. From postings from previous years, it seems MGH does call people although even if they give you the "ranking you to match" line it doesn't necessarily mean you will match if you rank them #1. On the opposite side, people have posted about matching there without one of these phone calls. I'm sure a call doesn't hurt though!

Thanks! They ended up calling me back and they gave me an indication of how they were going to rank me and what the committee thought of my application. If anyone is interested in specific language, just PM me (prefer not to talk about it on here). I figure it was probably just for prelim candidates and not for categoricals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! They ended up calling me back and they gave me an indication of how they were going to rank me and what the committee thought of my application. If anyone is interested in specific language, just PM me (prefer not to talk about it on here). I figure it was probably just for prelim candidates and not for categoricals.

Was it something like, "your application and interview was unquestionably one of the worst we have ever had. We're still wondering why we interviewed you. We just wanted to call and tell you your picture is in the front of MGH with the caption 'never let this guy inside'"

Cause I got that one...

Reactions: 2 users
When you get a phone call from Man's Best Hospital you better answer immediately. Making him call back later definitely bumped you down on the rank list.

Reactions: 1 user