MGH vs UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedicards

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've narrowed my list down to my top two programs for peds residency -- Mass General and Univ Washington. does anyone have any thoughts on the two programs (strengths, weaknesses)? I'm worried that MGH may not be as highly regarded as UW when I apply to fellowships, but I think I'd prefer a smaller program (MGH). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're right about MGH not being highly regarded. The Harvard name really doesn't mean much outside of Boston :rolleyes:

I really wouldn't worry about fellowship coming from either program, so that should not be too much of a factor in your decision.

Why on earth would you think U of Washington would be more highly regarded than a Harvard connected program?? I've never even heard much about U Washington!

Members don't see this ad :)
fourthyearmed said:
Why on earth would you think U of Washington would be more highly regarded than a Harvard connected program?? I've never even heard much about U Washington!

I think that what Scholes meant is that overall Univ of Washington has a bigger name in pediatrics than MGH.

I know MGH has a "prestigious" reputation in IM and many subspecialties, but as far as Peds, I dont know.

Agree with Scholes & Empedocles on this one about MGH in this more middle part of the country.

Spoke at length with a # of pediatricians in Chicago regarding program reputations. Seattle Children's is very highly regarded (many call it #3 behind Boston & CHOP), nobody leaves it out as a top 10 program. The book "Walk on Water" (nonfiction about pediatric heart surgery & Dr. Roger Mee @ Cleveland Clinic) also mentions Seattle as widely thought of throughout the pediatrics field as a top 3. (No disrespect to Hopkins, Cincy, Denver, or Baylor).

I asked around quite a bit about MGH. It was not looked as highly upon here (few considered it in top 25 territory). The reasons I was told:
-it's a general hospital (or as MGH puts it, a "hospital within a hospital")
-they're in the shadow of Boston Children's...regional "interesting cases" would preferentially go to Boston Children's. Why go to MGH when one of the (nearly) undisputed top 2 is right there too?

Either way, I can't imagine a residency at either would ever hurt in the fellowship application process, and both would certainly help, though UW probably more so. Not to mention a pretty resident-friendly schedule. :)

Just my $0.02, based in large part on a # of attendings, fellows & senior residents I have worked with. Whatever...it's still the postings of an anonymous guy on an internet forum. Good luck with your decision making!

Well obviously I was being a bit sarcastic about Harvard not being known outside of Boston, and I agree that MGH is nowhere near the caliber of a Boston Children's, BUT being a Harvard connected program still gives it a very good reputation nationally. On the USNews Rankings, which is based purely on reputation of the hospital among physicians outside of their respective hospitals, it is still a top 20 program (#20 exactly). Granted Seattle is #15, it isn't like MGH is not well known.

My point is that you shouldn't have a problem obtaining a fellowship of your choice at either institution so that should not be a major factor in deciding between these programs. If you liked MGH better, do not hold back from going there out of fear that you will be selling yourself short. The heme-onc chairperson of the children's hospital at my medical school went to MGH for residency and fellowship, so obviously he had no problem doing great things. He speaks very highly of MGH and said that he would choose MGH even over Boston Children's today if he had to because MGH is more of a resident run program with a better balance of general and subspecialty pediatrics.

Either way, you will be at a great program so sit back, relax, and be happy that you have two great options in front of you!

Just pick the one you like best and if you get you're second choice, you'll still be pretty happy it sounds like!

Didn't mean to sound like I was hatin' on MGH. I consider it a great program & know a bunch of people prefer going there to BCRP b/c it's less fellow-driven.

You can't lose with either of those 2.