MGH vs Yale pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochachip89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is another thread out there on this, but with no replies and from several years ago so I'm posting this in the hopes that people may have some thoughts on this.

Interviewed at both, liked the people at both, and liked the overall atmosphere of both (from what can be gleaned in an interview day). Location-wise, in my limited knowledge, Boston wins over New Haven when considering fun cities, but is less ideal re: cost of living. Both are similar sized programs and both are hospitals within hospitals. Any thoughts on how to distinguish these schools besides the location factor, and any thoughts on doors opened/fellowship opportunities that may differ between the two programs? Additionally, any other thoughts at all are welcome...need all the help I can get. :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

bump! really hoping to get some input - whether its from past/current residents, applicants who interviewed there, or any word of mouth you may have heard. thanks!

Would also love some input on Yale peds. Seems like there are a lot of posts asking for input going waaay back but not a lot in the way of responses

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at yale this year. I walked away feeling fairly impressed by the program. Facilities were nice, especially in regards to their Onc service. It doesn't seem to get overshadowed by boston except for heart transplants. The PD walked around the room and asked questions about everyone's personal experiences, citing their application. I found this to be an impressive feat since she did it off the top of her head and there are probably like 3-400 applicants each year. So I guess the PD is invested in at least getting to know residents. I myself didn't get to know the residents too well since they took us out to some loud bar for the dinner, but they said good things about their experience and there was a good mix of single/married/male/female. I think the cost of living is too high in New Haven for what the town offers (crappy college town surrounded by a deindustrialized areas that Yale largely ignores), but the salary they offer was the highest I saw on the interview trail (like 60k for PGY1)

Reactions: 1 users
@Rumalum and others - do you feel that the strength of yale pediatrics can overall compete with the training at peds programs that are renown specifically for their pediatrics, such as CHOP, CHLA, Baylor etc? I wasn't sure how well yale is known for specifically their pediatrics or if it was more like their peds program is well regarded just due to the overall Yale "name"?

I think the name of a program is kinda bs when it comes to actual resident training. I looked for hospitals that are resident run and give residents autonomy and allow room for resident decision making. I can go to a place like CHOP for fellowship, which is where the education is focused in those huge academic centers

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at both and felt both are strong programs, resident-run overall and with friendly and invested PDs. My concern about Yale is not about the program but rather the idea of living in New haven, but I am also not thrilled with the cost of living in a place like Boston, if I were to attend MGH. My main concern with MGH is that the peds program is overshadowed by their medicine program and I worry about most peds going to Boston Childrens.

There is another thread out there on this, but with no replies and from several years ago so I'm posting this in the hopes that people may have some thoughts on this.

Interviewed at both, liked the people at both, and liked the overall atmosphere of both (from what can be gleaned in an interview day). Location-wise, in my limited knowledge, Boston wins over New Haven when considering fun cities, but is less ideal re: cost of living. Both are similar sized programs and both are hospitals within hospitals. Any thoughts on how to distinguish these schools besides the location factor, and any thoughts on doors opened/fellowship opportunities that may differ between the two programs? Additionally, any other thoughts at all are welcome...need all the help I can get. :) :)

I also interviewed at both, and thought both were great programs with what seemed like a lot of resident support. I can't comment on the reputation of each within the field of pediatrics, but what distinguished the two for me was the camaraderie among the residents. At Yale, I absolutely got the feeling that the residents loved being around each other, and seemed extremely close with the faculty and program leadership as well. The PD and aPD seemed to know the residents really well, including their significant others and stories about their families. At MGH, although the PD seemed super supportive and approachable, I didn't really get the sense that the residents were as close as they were at Yale or other places. A lot of them seemed to already know people in Boston outside the program, and when I asked some residents what they did outside the hospital they didn't really talk about hanging out with other residents. Then again it could have just been the group of residents I interacted with that particular day, so I'm not sure how representative that is of the entire program. Would be interested to hear if anyone else had similar experiences (or not)!

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users